What does a mince pie taste like?

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
Do you have them warm?

Are they sweet?

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you eat them when they are still warm or warm them up.

Depends on the filling.
  • maggie thecatmaggie thecat Posts: 2,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like nothing else. It's a complex blend of fruit and spices. The older recipes even have meat in them (hence the name.) They can also have brandy and/or rum in them which adds a whole other dimension.

But like many old fashion foods they can be an acquired taste. Which is why people either like them or don't.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like them, but not enough for the amount of calories they contain. Would much rather have a packet of crisps for less calories.

I don't go round counting everything at christmas just if I am going to have something I want to really enjoy it.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Different brands can be quite different. Some have a rather heavy filling while other have a lighter texture, like a Mr Kipling Bramley apple pie.

As for flavour, imagine a Kipling apple pie with added sultanas, citrus zest, cinnamon and cloves. That should conjure up a fair idea of how they taste.

If you want to try them, a safe starting point would be Aldi's 'Specially Selected' all-butter pies, at £1.49 for six. I'm not too keen on mince pies, but these are quite palatable, and don't have bits of suet in them.

If you don't like cakes with cinnamon in them, you probably won't like mince pies.
  • Jasper92Jasper92 Posts: 1,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's hard when you're describing what something tastes like. It also varies wildy, as the best mince pies will be mostly mincemeat filling and only a subtle pasty texture. The crappier ones will just be one stodgy mass of sugary shortcrust pasty with a wafer thin mincemeat filling. And I really could not describe what mincemeat tastes like - it is unique.

Like marmite. Try describing what marmite tastes like. Or try asking a lifelong vegetarian what a steak tastes like. See, impossible.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you have them warm?

Are they sweet?

Seriously?
  • fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tried one again this year and i can confirm they are horrible >:( why do they keep putting nail clippings in them ?
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    Do you have them warm?

Are they sweet?

These seem strange questions. Have you not had one before?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bloody horrible, as is christmas pudding
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,246
    Forum Member
    They taste awful :eek:
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jasper92 wrote: »
    Like marmite. Try describing what marmite tastes like. Or try asking a lifelong vegetarian what a steak tastes like. See, impossible.

As a vegan for 20 years I can't now remember what a steak tastes like even though I had eaten many before, as you say it's impossible to accurately describe taste.
  • cavallicavalli Posts: 18,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I like them, but not enough for the amount of calories they contain. Would much rather have a packet of crisps for less calories.

I don't go round counting everything at christmas just if I am going to have something I want to really enjoy it.

That's my attitude to mince pies and calories in general - if you're going to splurge then make sure it's something orgasmic and savour every filthy, calorific morsel.
  • *Eileen**Eileen* Posts: 9,881
    Forum Member
    ericos wrote: »
    bloody horrible, as is christmas pudding

Love both.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Michelin chefs love them. They are deconstructed christmas cakes.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    These seem strange questions. Have you not had one before?
    I suspect from the screen name of andersonsonson that the poster is Scandinavian. While variations of mincemeat are found in Australia, North America, parts of Europe, Ireland and South Africa, mince pies are peculiarly British, which would explain why he/she doesn't know what they taste like.

I have no idea what pecan pie or pumpkin pie taste like and that would surprise Americans.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best idea is to spend a quid and try one.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alan29 wrote: »

How about popping into Sainsbury's for a cup of tea or coffee as they are offering mince pies for 50p at the moment. It would give you a chance to rest your weary legs from all that shopping!
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    alan29 wrote: »
    If the OP is Scandinavian and living in one of those countries, he/she won't be able to spend a quid and try one because they won't be on sale there.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    If the OP is Scandinavian...

If. But they haven't said that they are, and that includes saying where they're from in their profile.

There's nothing unreasonable in the replies so far. The fact that they shop in Tesco, are subject to Royal Mail charges and planned to move to Newcastle in the event of Scottish Independence doesn't suggest otherwise either.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,806
    Forum Member
    Janet43 wrote: »
    I suspect from the screen name of andersonsonson that the poster is Scandinavian. While variations of mincemeat are found in Australia, North America, parts of Europe, Ireland and South Africa, mince pies are peculiarly British, which would explain why he/she doesn't know what they taste like.

I have no idea what pecan pie or pumpkin pie taste like and that would surprise Americans.

Sorry, i don't try and deduce people's nationalities from their screen name.
  • kate36kate36 Posts: 13,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just made a batch of Paul Hollywood's mince pies and they are gorgeous!!
    (If I say so myself!!):D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What does green look like?
  • Lucy LouLucy Lou Posts: 8,574
    Forum Member
    Gogfumble wrote: »

Yes this sums me up too ^ ^

I haven't eaten a mince pie for a couple of years now, I would rather have a slice of chocolate log instead :D