Options

LBC General Chit-Chat (Part 29)

Comments

• Options
    Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BurlyBeaR wrote: »
    This is the point I always try (and miserably fail to make) when the "LBC doesn't represent the ethnic diversity of the nation" discussion comes up. It would appear that engaging and competent speech radio presenters are thin on the ground. It is a niche skill. Then add in the further restriction of them really only being allowed to talk about current affairs so remove all the lightweights and you have a further limitation. Then it has to be someone prepared to work for what we all recognise to be a right leaning commercial station. A niche within a niche within a niche. Now find some black/Asian presenters within all of that... I suspect LBC would snatch the arm off anyone who even gets close to it.

Dotun Adebayo?
  • Options
    Hey_HoHey_Ho Posts: 2,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dotun Adebayo?

NOOOO x 1M (I mean to getting him on LBC, not the niche thing).
  • Options
    Dave_Brown2Dave_Brown2 Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    Barkes was boring when he first started on LBC but he's improved and I like his spats with callers.

I'm glad Larry 'the' Lamb is going. Never liked him. Boring and out of his league.

I reckon you must be the only one who likes those spats :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or maybe you're the only one who doesn't. ;):)
  • Options
    GrannyGruntbuckGrannyGruntbuck Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have always found DB to be incredibly boring, and struggle to listen to him for more than about 10 minutes!
  • Options
    LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Much prefer Ian Payne's voice to that of Iain Dale's but "what would be worse - a nuclear attack or a cyber attack?" took LBC's b miserabilism to a new low and it got the short shrift it deserved. There was just one - ropey - call from Joe Public in an hour. Then, at another point S Fogarty was mentioned by Payne and it was in somewhat cryptic terms. Something about their paths crossing again followed by what sounded like the phrase "stay away" under his breath. If initially that sounded like dislike, it emerged that both presented on 5 Live during a BBC strike. So in truth it was probably just a reference to a shared love of ignoring picket lines. Irony eh?

What to make of the new Fogarty more broadly? I've never listened to her on the radio - ever - but in the trailer she sounds more restrained than Julia Brewer and more, erm, BBC. Ideally she would pronounce her surname in a more sensible way, of course. If she were on an hour earlier she would on some days be going head to head with another Liver Bird who is on the BBC's "You and Yours". The latter lacks charm in my opinion and I am expecting the same thing of the former. Arguably, the weather isn't cold enough for Steve Allen to stand naked in a window. But I'm sure that by the start of 2015 LBC will have created far frostier conditions.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dfisher1 wrote: »
    Ian Collins is great. I just don't know why they don't use him more? I'd like to see him stand-in for Iain Dale on Drive rather than the insipid Ian Payne. I feel Collins certainly has enough political nous to carry on the format of Iain Dale's show whilst he is away.

Yes and do not forget he also carried a mid morning politics/current affairs show on talkSPORT for a few years, before that side of the station went.

Ian collins could fill in a variety of slots he is very very well versed in talk radio.

Yet we get Shelagh Fogarty.:cry::cry: Or...............................................

How about mid week 10am 1pm;-).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Ian Collins!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Ian Collins!

You do not like DB or Ian Collins how about Mr Dull Clive Bull.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Can't stand Ian Collins!
    I thought I was the only vehement non Collins fan.

Kent/Essex Estuarial Transatlanticism is not my idea of a winning formula.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Clive, but not as he is currently!
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    I like them!
    I have always found DB to be incredibly boring, and struggle to listen to him for more than about 10 minutes!
    Why is he boring how about the presenters on LBC who just say "What do you think?" all the time and always talk about the same subjects and the boring ones. I guess you like the middle of the road stuff.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a big fan of Clive, but not as he is currently!

Well i love the Legal Hour none this week though.

Whilst i find him ok he never reveals much about himself unlike other presenters,sometimes its like listening to a marshmallow,easy on the ears but ultimately not much substance.!

At least and here is the good point he is quite unassuming.

Perhaps the Clive Bull of around 2001 needs to come back,he called himself man cow Bull think he was a tad unhappy with the formula at that time, and also we had the moo man on when he took callers straight to air, if anybody remembers that.:o
  • Options
    clitheroe1clitheroe1 Posts: 4,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was just checking online that Tommy Boyd did the breakfast show with Anne Diamond (he did and the hatred between them was palpable) and came across this very old, funny piece from the Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/oct/01/radio.commercialradio

Tommy Boyd had 2 stints at LBC. The first was in the late 1970s/early 1980s when he presented weekend night line. His show was largely collection of quizzes, including a virtual mystery tour around London with clues to identify the journey and you had to determine the final destination. There was a weekly mystery guest and the quality of celebrities was consistently high, I particularly remember him interviewing Kenneth Williams and Muhammad Ali. The show was brilliant and would probably be on my short list of my all time favourite LBC shows.

His second stint was in the late 1990s, as Gurney Slade has already said when he presented the breakfast show with Anne Diamond and it had a similar feel to Bob and Doug's AM show (although not as good). Mr Boyd came across as a competent news presenter and his pairing with Anne Diamond appeared to work well. I never noticed any animosity between them, in fact I felt their relationship was quite friendly and they would often talk and laugh about light hearted newspaper articles inbetween the hard hitting news stories.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well i love the Legal Hour none this week though.

Whilst i find him ok he never reveals much about himself unlike other presenters,sometimes its like listening to a marshmallow,easy on the ears but ultimately not much substance.!

At least and here is the good point he is quite unassuming.

Perhaps the Clive Bull of around 2001 needs to come back,he called himself man cow Bull think he was a tad unhappy with the formula at that time, and also we had the moo man on when he took callers straight to air, if anybody remembers that.:o

Yes, I recall. I have been a listener since accidentally finding LBC when I lived in Bagshot in 1982.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I recall. I have been a listener since accidentally finding LBC when I lived in Bagshot in 1982.

He has just come on medical hour on tonight.

I have been listening since around 1975 to LBC in its many incarnations.

Clive Bull does sound as though he has an interesting topic tonight,when he has i do enjoy a listen when Clive seems interested and fully engaged.I guess its sometimes his lack of any opinion that sometimes puts me off,although to some that could be better as he has no apparent axe to grind.
  • Options
    BurlyBeaRBurlyBeaR Posts: 5,696
    Forum Member
    Dotun Adebayo?

Already employed.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't stand Ian Collins!

Collins used to annoy me when he was on Talk Sport.

He used to do that 'zoo' format, and he'd have on about five or six young people one or two of which were young girls in their late teens/early twenties.

I have no doubt they were attractive too - something for Collins to tart on with and gawp at. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collins used to annoy me when he was on Talk Sport.

He used to do that 'zoo' format, and he'd have on about five or six young people one or two of which were young girls in their late teens/early twenties.

I have no doubt they were attractive too - something for Collins to tart on with and gawp at. :p

Or share his bucket of the colonels finest with.;-)
  • Options
    connor the judgconnor the judg Posts: 8,961
    Forum Member
    Dotun Adebayo?
    I only listened to him for 5 mins and that was the start up to his show on BBC London and he said the phone number about once every 10 or 15 seconds!
  • Options
    StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
    Forum Member
    I'm quite glad that Julia has left but was she sacked? She was getting on my nerves a lot as she was interupting callers/guests too much for my liking and when they tried to interupt back and complete their point she used to fly off the handle! I can't stand it when people do that!

I'm glad about Ian Collins getting reduced down to one show too. I don't like it when he callers people David Ike conspiracy theorists whenever they say something he doesn't agree with. Does he really think conspiracies never happen btw? What did he think happened with the dodgey dossier then on the Iraq war?!

If Mellor and Livingstone have been axed I think thats a crazy move, especially in the run up to the General Election though Mellor for my liking did hog the show too much and never gave much time to callers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    I'm quite glad that Julia has left but was she sacked? She was getting on my nerves a lot as she was interupting callers/guests too much for my liking and when they tried to interupt back and complete their point she used to fly off the handle! I can't stand it when people do that!

I'm glad about Ian Collins getting reduced down to one show too. I don't like it when he callers people David Ike conspiracy theorists whenever they say something he doesn't agree with. Does he really think conspiracies never happen btw? What did he think happened with the dodgey dossier then on the Iraq war?!

If Mellor and Livingstone have been axed I think thats a crazy move, especially in the run up to the General Election though Mellor for my liking did hog the show too much and never gave much time to callers.

No their show has been reduced to 2 hours saturday morning. 10-12.>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    [/B]

No their show has been reduced to 2 hours saturday morning. 10-12.>:(

Ah right. Thanks for the information. I think it is a mistake cutting their show by an hour but what they should do is tell Mellor and Ken to stop waffling on so much between each other, be more succinct with their political points (just like callers have to be) and give callers/guests more time. They talk so much to each other that whenever they put someone on, its not long before Mellor starts talking about the next "juncture coming up".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why NF doesn't have a regular call-in programme with the Greens or Labour for that matter? Johnson, Clegg and Farage make it look like a mini United States Radio in London only representing the British equivalents to the Republicans, Democrats and the Tea Party. Are there really no broadcasting rules on this?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Is there any reason why NF doesn't have a regular call-in programme with the Greens or Labour for that matter? Johnson, Clegg and Farage make it look like a mini United States Radio in London only representing the British equivalents to the Republicans, Democrats and the Tea Party. Are there really no broadcasting rules on this?

I get the impression that Ed Miliband does not want to do a regular phone in show with anyone but he will have to do some in the run up to the election unless he does what Tony Blair did in the 2005 election and just make speeches in front of local labour party audiences with the media/broadcast media picking it all up live. Actually that might be the better option for him.

Ed Balls and Harriet Harman do go on Iain Dale's show on a regular basis as does Chucka Umunna and I prefer that as ID is more into politcs than Nick Ferrari is.

Whats happened to Eric Pickles phone in show though? Has he given up on them? If he has, that might not be a bad idea either for him as he often sounds like to me that he couldn't care less what people say.
This discussion has been closed.