Guinness launching two new craft beers

TheTruth1983TheTruth1983 Posts: 13,462
Forum Member
✭✭
http://time.com/3265098/guinness-craft-beer/
Macrobrewer Guinness is taking aim at the microbrewing market with the launch of two new craft beers “inspired” by the painstaking brewing techniques from the 19th century, or as the company calls it, the “golden age of porters.”

I will certainly give them a go

Comments

• walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,918
    Forum Member
    Not a big fan of 'normal' Guinness but will give them a try, I like to try any new beers out there, especially ones based on old techniques like these.
  • Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    Since when has this phrase 'craft beer' come in?

They just mean beers brewed by microbreweries surely? Even though Guinness is probably the absolute opposite of a microbrewery!
  • Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

They just mean beers brewed by microbreweries surely? Even though Guinness is probably the absolute opposite of a microbrewery!

"Craft Beers" are usually beers produced by the new breed of keg-only micro-breweries.
    Forum Member
    "Craft Beers" are usually beers produced by the new breed of keg-only micro-breweries.

keg-only?

Do you mean fizzy 'creamflow' type stuff?
  • dids858dids858 Posts: 3,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can have craft cask as well its a term stolen from America for small trendy breweries. However a number of bigger ones are doing smaller batch runs and calling them craft.

As for craft keg beer its not smooth flow but can also be classes as real ale due to some of the keg barrels not having the need of gas being attached to them.
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    So, they will be keg beers (rather than a cask real ales) and they will be dark and malty porters. How original.

I don't buy into this "craft beer" nonsense at all.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »

I've only really noticed it in the last few years. Maybe the marketing people think it sounds more modern and trendy than "real ale".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dids858 wrote: »
    You can have craft cask as well its a term stolen from America for small trendy breweries. However a number of bigger ones are doing smaller batch runs and calling them craft.

They can be cask ales but more often than not they are keg.

Meantime Brewing Company in Greenwich are a good example, very little of their beer sold in pubs is cask-conditioned anlthough, ironically, their beer is bottle conditioned.
    As for craft keg beer its not smooth flow but can also be classes as real ale due to some of the keg barrels not having the need of gas being attached to them.

They cannot be called "real ale" if the beer is not cask conditioned. Keg beers are a "dead product", in that the beer is pasturised, so heat treated to kill off the remaining yeast, and filtered prior to being put in to the keg. Real Ale is a "living product", hence its shorter shelf life once tapped. The beer isn't pasturised, so there is still live yeast in the beer, or filtered and an amount of hops are added to the beer when it is put in to the cask. This allows secondary fermentation to occur within the cask before it is tapped which develops the flavour of the beer. Because real ale isn't filtered it needs to settle to allow any sediment to sink to the bottom of the cask before it can be served.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    I've only really noticed it in the last few years. Maybe the marketing people think it sounds more modern and trendy than "real ale".

It can also be mis-used by marketing people to lead people in to believing a "craft" keg beer is the same as a real ale. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can also be mis-used by marketing people to lead people in to believing a "craft" keg beer is the same as a real ale. ;)

That doesn't bother me too much. A good "craft" keg beer is better than a bad real ale. There are some real ale snobs who will refuse to drink anything else. While nothing beats a really good real ale, there is also a lot of poor ones out there. That's one of the reasons I left CAMRA. They do lots of good work but they can see too stuck up their proverbials at times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That doesn't bother me too much. A good "craft" keg beer is better than a bad real ale. There are some real ale snobs who will refuse to drink anything else. While nothing beats a really good real ale, there is also a lot of poor ones out there. That's one of the reasons I left CAMRA. They do lots of good work but they can see too stuck up their proverbials at times.

However a "bad" real ale is more down to the way it is kept, which is nothing to do with CAMRA.

However I don't understand the view that someone who only drinks real ale is a "snob". I drink real ale because I like it, I don't like keg beer because I find it too fizzy.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They can be cask ales but more often than not they are keg.

Meantime Brewing Company in Greenwich are a good example, very little of their beer sold in pubs is cask-conditioned anlthough, ironically, their beer is bottle conditioned.

They cannot be called "real ale" if the beer is not cask conditioned. Keg beers are a "dead product", in that the beer is pasturised, so heat treated to kill off the remaining yeast, and filtered prior to being put in to the keg. Real Ale is a "living product", hence its shorter shelf life once tapped. The beer isn't pasturised, so there is still live yeast in the beer, or filtered and an amount of hops are added to the beer when it is put in to the cask. This allows secondary fermentation to occur within the cask before it is tapped which develops the flavour of the beer. Because real ale isn't filtered it needs to settle to allow any sediment to sink to the bottom of the cask before it can be served.

Look up key keg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look up key keg

What am I looking for? It is just a storage medium, the same as a barrel.
  • Paul1511Paul1511 Posts: 11,581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    However a "bad" real ale is more down to the way it is kept, which is nothing to do with CAMRA.

However I don't understand the view that someone who only drinks real ale is a "snob". I drink real ale because I like it, I don't like keg beer because I find it too fizzy.

I don't think he was saying all ale drinkers are snobs, but some do exist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul1511 wrote: »
    I don't think he was saying all ale drinkers are snobs, but some do exist.

Yes, that's exactly what I meant They may be in a small minority but real ale has its snobs just as there are about wine, food, music, holidays, films and just about everything else in life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What am I looking for? It is just a storage medium, the same as a barrel.

Its a live beer in key keg not dead.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a live beer in key keg not dead.

Not according to their web page.

A KeyCask is designed specifically for Real Ale, so they differentiate between a keg beer and a cask-conditioned beer because they produce a container specifically for "live" beer..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, that's exactly what I meant They may be in a small minority but real ale has its snobs just as there are about wine, food, music, holidays, films and just about everything else in life.

But that is true of any pastime, interest, or hobby, as you say. There are always some who take it far more seriously than is probably healthy.

I simply ignore them.
  • soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would of thought one of the very reasons that some drinkers opt for 'craft beers' is because they are brewed by micro-breweries and not mass produced by big brewing conglomerates.

I can't really see this taking off for Guinness. It will probably go the way of Breó their continental type white beer brand that was withdrawn very quickly after disappointing sales.
  • DJ JimmyDJ Jimmy Posts: 7,166
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    I would of thought one of the very reasons that some drinkers opt for 'craft beers' is because they are brewed by micro-breweries and not mass produced by big brewing conglomerates.

I can't really see this taking off for Guinness. It will probably go the way of Breó their continental type white beer brand that was withdrawn very quickly after disappointing sales.

I think it work out better than Breó. 'Craft beer' is more of a marketing term these days to give the impression of a small batch brew.

But anyway, has anyone found these yet in The UK, I can't find them anywhere and I've heard good reviews of both of them :(
    Forum Member

This is what I suspect. It's meant to make it 'trendy'.

Call it 'real ale' and they'll think of 'beardy weirdies'.

Call it 'craft beer' and the trendies will love it and pay twice the price of real ale for it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did this ever launch? Never seen any of it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To answer my own question, I just saw an advert for these on At The Races.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Craft beer, a term aimed at those who think that sportswear are "designer" clothes.