Forum Member
    neil79 wrote:

3UK does not work indoors so is not much use at this time of year :D

That's a very bold statement.

Sent from my 3uk phone whilst inside.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I have found personally using all of the networks is some users can talk from outside, some from inside and some from their backsides. :D
  • Darth-HabibDarth-Habib Posts: 466
    Forum Member
    I guess this also means there's no reputable place to get insurance for your three phone going forward?

Or have/will Three start selling phone insurance again??

One of my friends upgraded via Carphone Warehouse for the sole reason he could get a decent insurance cover for his phone.

Maybe an issue for people who have top end phones and tablets.
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    3UK is the smallest network is it not ? They do seem to have a lot of fanboys who possibly make it appear a bigger network than it is :)

proof? :rolleyes:

at least Three isn't below 90% 3G coverage like some networks (vf), it doesn't suffer from a huge amount of dropped calls like others (ee) and has HD voice so it doesn't sound like you're under water or talking to a robot like it does on others (o2)

We get truly unlimited data and data speeds through 3G almost all of the other networks cannot offer or wont offer.
  • RAN ManRAN Man Posts: 257
    Forum Member

It doesn't suffer from a huge amount of dropped calls like others (ee) and has HD voice so it doesn't sound like you're under water or talking to a robot like it does on others (o2)

Proof?.:rolleyes:
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member

at least Three isn't below 90% 3G coverage like some networks (vf), it doesn't suffer from a huge amount of dropped calls like others (ee) and has HD voice so it doesn't sound like you're under water or talking to a robot like it does on others (o2)

We get truly unlimited data and data speeds through 3G almost all of the other networks cannot offer or wont offer.

If I was on EE and I called a Voda mobile and the call dropped, how can you prove its EE that dropped the call for example?
  • Zee_BukhariZee_Bukhari Posts: 1,335
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I was on EE and I called a Voda mobile and the call dropped, how can you prove its EE that dropped the call for example?

Have you not seen them on watchdog a few times over this?

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1893572

Its clear its a problem on EE
  • Deleted_User381237831Deleted_User381237831 Posts: 7,902
    Forum Member
    .... which has mostly been fixed now. I've had a couple of dropped calls in 6-7 months. Big whoop. Bound to happen occasionally.

And we all know that Watchdog is like looking at a live TV version of the Daily Mail.
  • JwhiterzJwhiterz Posts: 528
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

o2 defiantly has the worst call quality out of all the networks when I ring a friend who's on o2 I sometimes can't understand what they are trying to say its been that bad at times. (muffled)
    From my own personal experience I think Three have the best call quality out of all the networks even with 1 bar but as we all know bars are not everything.
  • qasdfdsaqqasdfdsaq Posts: 3,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabbamk1 wrote: »

Pics or it didn't happen.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need a picture of the phone screen with the 3 logo displayed. That could have been on any network! :P
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member

Hahahahaha!!!

Good job you photoshop-ed out the 30 metre MBNL mast in your garden. :)
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carphone Warehouse give 10% cashback on SIM only - including 3

I will ask 3 for the same cashback now - or go to CW
  • acoolwelshblokeacoolwelshbloke Posts: 3,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neil79 wrote: »
    3UK is the smallest network is it not ? They do seem to have a lot of fanboys who possibly make it appear a bigger network than it is :)

You do not know what your talking about, three is a good network and I have no problems with indoor coverage at all.

Only downside to three is their customer services, it's horrendous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carphone Warehouse give 10% cashback on SIM only - including 3

I will ask 3 for the same cashback now - or go to CW

'Or go to CW'.. and get a deal with a more expensive network?

I've seen it actually say 'Call Dropped' on the screen of my phone before.. I'm guessing the phone would only know that if it happened on its network?
    Jwhiterz wrote: »
    o2 defiantly has the worst call quality out of all the networks when I ring a friend who's on o2 I sometimes can't understand what they are trying to say its been that bad at times. (muffled)

I've had that too (and funnily enough it was an O2 user), although to be fair some people just aren't very good at speaking into a phone, no matter what network they're on!
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All this dissing of networks because of personal experience is pretty daft as we all have very limited actual data. Just because a particular operator may be good or bad where you use it doesn’t mean you can apply that to the whole country. I get 17mbps 3G at home with both Three and T Mobile. VF give 2mbps and the signal does drop off sometimes. O2 give about 2-3 but the signal seems stronger than VF. At work EE are the only guys in the frame but the data speeds are terrible as everyone here is on them for both personal and work phones. Plymouthbloke has the right idea – use a payg sim to check out your own places.

I don’t use customer service very often but the best I have used was Talk Mobile. They woman there would be able to spot her buttock or her arm joint if asked. I bet some have horror stories though.

I still think I will switch to Three though. I don’t care about calls at work (I didn’t buy my phone to speak to people) and the EE data speeds are useless.
  • lost boylost boy Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tried 333 earlier and 444 and the call dropped after about 5 seconds of the woman talking.

I believe you should wait until they've upgraded their systems as I've only experienced around 2 or 3 dropped calls in the 8 years I've been a customer of 3, not including todays dropped calls to 333 and 444.

My friend on the other hand on EE... :eek:

BIB - I couldn't agree more, although I didn't expect our resident south-westerner to do so :cool:

EE's 'optimised' network here, well, it's ~5 dropped calls per attempted call (so, for example, if you try to make 3 calls on the same day, you'll easily have 10-15 call drops over the same period). They know this, they know why... yet it continues, so make of that what you will.

Three though - I can count on one hand the amount of call drops I've had over the last few years, so there's not much more I can add to that.

Brilliant :D:D
  • corfcorf Posts: 1,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've called three customer services twice this year, once to disable my voicemail and one six months later to re-enable and change my tariff.

Both times I spoke to a fluent english speaker who actioned my requests promptly. I'd have guessed based in the UK but I'd be surprised if that really was the case.

However the second time I was given the hard sell for a new 24 contract for a phone I didnt want.
  • DevonBlokeDevonBloke Posts: 6,835
    Forum Member
    You do not know what your talking about, three is a good network and I have no problems with indoor coverage at all.

Only downside to three is their customer services, it's horrendous.

Without wishing to sound pedantic, 3G is generally pretty poor indoors on all networks due to the way it works (2100MHz / WCDMA / Breathing etc). Unless of course (in your case) you have a cell close to you and in line of sight.
    ThrEE probably are the best 3G networks (MBNL) and even in rural areas it's pretty damn good outside. Inside is a different story.
    Did two jobs today (computer repairs) and in both cases there was a usable 3G signal outside but indoors only GPRS (EE). A Three handset would not have worked at all since there is now no 2G fallback here.
    Three need to get that TuGo type app out asap!
  • jabbamk1jabbamk1 Posts: 8,942
    Forum Member
    qasdfdsaq wrote: »
    Need a picture of the phone screen with the 3 logo displayed. That could have been on any network! :P

urgh fine. Here is a picture of my phone. As you'll see it clearly displays "3" in the top left hand corner

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Untitled-2_zps32a14e72.jpg
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Hahahahaha!!!

Good job you photoshop-ed out the 30 metre MBNL mast in your garden. :)

I actually photoshop-ed out the home signal box but whatever

:D
    DevonBloke wrote: »
    Three need to get that TuGo type app out asap!

March soon enough?

One thing to bear in mind that EE3G will drop down to 2G fairly easily where as Three will hold onto a 3G signal for as long as it can.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    urgh fine. Here is a picture of my phone. As you'll see it clearly displays "3" in the top left hand corner

http://i481.photobucket.com/albums/rr180/jabbamk1/Untitled-2_zps32a14e72.jpg
    I actually photoshop-ed out the home signal box but whatever

TBH, that's cheating :(
    March soon enough?
    One thing to note is that the infrastructure required to allow TuGo type UMA apps is the same that is needed to facilitate VoLTE (both natively and hackily)
    One thing to bear in mind that EE3G will drop down to 2G fairly easily where as Three will hold onto a 3G signal for as long as it can.
    Assuming of course, you don't have your phone set to 3G only. Incidentally, the latest EE firmware for the Galaxy S4 has now removed the 2G only option (something 3 has done via their SIM cards for many years), leaving only 2G+3G+4G auto, 2G+3G auto, and 3G-only.

Although another advance is that now with hacks you can enable a 3G+4G only mode (no 2G) which I've been waiting on ever since I got this phone.
  • neil79neil79 Posts: 534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Three have 98% 3G coverage, with EE having a tiny bit more, we've just found out Vodafone have the least coverage at less than 90%, O2 at around 90% (don't believe it) so it is hardly a patchy network.

What you have to remember is that the claimed 98% is outdoor coverage.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's a very bold statement.

Isn't it pretty well understood that 2100MHz penetration is not as good as 1800 or 900?

The granite walls of my house attenuate both 3G (which aren't very strong to begin with) and wifi signals quite nicely (I have to have two access points to cover an above-average sized semi-detached - I'm glad I work for a company that makes really good wireless kit and can get it for free)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The differences are really quite small, compared to the differences imposed by the wall being there in the first place.

Take a look at:
    http://www.ko4bb.com/Manuals/05%29_GPS_Timing/E10589_Propagation_Losses_2_and_5GHz.pdf

Admittedly that's comparing 2.4Ghz and 5.8Ghz - but it's a much bigger frequency difference and there's less public data available on the licensed bands.

You can see the difference in signal loss through most materials to be just 1-2dB between the two bands, with a few wild outliers due to resonances and so on, and a few cases where the higher frequency actually penetrates better.

As I've said before many times now, the difference between 2100, and 1800 are mostly down to the different technologies used and not the frequency.