Broadchurch - ITV Drama Series

Comments

• catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Talking of postmen, surely there should be at least two of them around - one who delivers letters, and another who delivers parcels? And probably the odd special delivery etc., so just because the argument wasn't with the one they questioned, they can't be sure it wasn't a postman, can they?

I wonder whether Danny's other grandma will ever turn up? They said she lives in Wales, so not on the other side of the world or anything!
  • The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was awful. Tediously slow and cliched crap.

At least the likes of Midsomer Murders are tongue in cheek, Dross like this being all arty with the 'edgy' music and use of slow motions is over indulgent nonsense.

I agree, I switched off after 25 minutes of the first episode - why did the mother ask where the son was when she knew he had a paper round, how did she get back to the house so quickly when she'd abandoned her car in a traffic jam and why didn't she stay with her son's body, why was there a school sports day first thing in the morning on a weekday, and how could so much have happened in one morning - David Tennant said "good morning" when he arrived at the house. And as for the slow motion.......Sorry if these have been mentioned before, there's too long a thread to read it all. And before anyone asks why I'm on this thread when I've already written this series off, I'm just interested in seeing other people's views of it.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think DS Miller's husband has definately got something to do with it. Or at least he's not all he seems.

Do you think we are supposed to dismiss Steve? The guy who 'wasted police time'. Or could he be the killer but is making the police not think about him because they have written him off as being a phony?

I agree about 8 episodes not being long. The US usually has over 20 episodes in a series and the UK usually has 6 - which a lot of people dislike because it's so short and want more.
    I think this way is more realistic - it's probably going to be the usual timescale of an actual investigation.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didn't hold my attention at all this evening. 8 episodes is too much. As someone said, at least Midsomer Murders has a sense of humour.

David Tennant, Arthur Darvill and the mother are letting the rest of the cast down, but I guess that could be the director. It's Olivia Colman and Pauline Quirke which will make me watch next week but if it's like this week I shan't watch again.
  • doom&gloomdoom&gloom Posts: 9,051
    Forum Member
    It's good for insomnia anyway, will be interesting to see the ratings compared to last week.

What with this, Mayday and Dancing on the Edge it's been a real British drama snooze-fest recently.
  • ForGodsSakeForGodsSake Posts: 16,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love this series.

Right,

I think that the dad is having an affair with the hotel woman.

The son discovered the affair and was threatening to tell his mum thus got thumped by his dad in the chalet.

Pauline Quirke found the skateboard in the chalet when she cleaned up there and took it home as she collects anything.

The mum is having a baby with the policewomans husband.

The son wasn't the real son of the dad ...and the dad found out.... remember they were 15 and 17 when the murdered boy was born.

The Mum had the son to the old newsagent bloke.

The daughter is a drug mule for the boyfriend who sells cocaine to the postman.

or maybe the woman is pregnant by Pauline Quirke and the vicar killed the boy when he discovered that the boy was selling drugs on his patch....... and there were smugglers in the cove...oooh arrr !!

oh I dont know but i love it !!!! :D
  • LaineyTLaineyT Posts: 6,392
    Forum Member
    Love this series.

Right,

The son discovered the affair and was threatening to tell his mum thus got thumped by his dad in the chalet.

Pauline Quirke found the skateboard in the chalet when she cleaned up there and took it home as she collects anything.

The son wasn't the real son of the dad ...and the dad found out.... remember they were 15 and 17 when the murdered boy was born.

or maybe the woman is pregnant by Pauline Quirke and the vicar killed the boy when he discovered that the boy was selling drugs on his patch....... and there were smugglers in the cove...oooh arrr !!

Agree with everything you said :D...cant get my head around David Tennants accent...:D
  • kernow19kernow19 Posts: 1,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deleted
  • EraserheadEraserhead Posts: 22,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, nothing like a good old cop drama to throw red herrings around left, right and centre. I think we'll find the real killer once we eliminate all the obvious targets :)

I'm definitely leaning towards Danny finding out his dad was having an affair (possibly a homosexual one?) and the £500 is from Dad to keep quiet about it (the cocaine is a total red herring). Dad's not the killer, though. Maybe Dad's lover is? Pauline Quirke (do we know her character's name?) knows about the affair and lets them use the hut. Maybe she confiscated Danny's skateboard as a punishment for him snooping around or trying to steal the key.

I hope the "psychic" is completely wrong. I'd hate for him to somehow be right unless he's actually involved and does know.

And what was the point of that bar scene with the bloke moaning about the effect of the murder on tourism? What a knob.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    It's good for insomnia anyway...
    Too bloody good... I've only just woken up... :rolleyes:

Did anything significant happen in the last 15 minutes?
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    Normandie wrote: »
    Too bloody good... I've only just woken up... :rolleyes:

Did anything significant happen in the last 15 minutes?

'Yes!
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The newly trained Family Liaison Officer seemed a bit too happy to be assigned this case.

So I reckon he was that disappointed being given this place as his area to work in, where nothing major happens.

He decided to make something happen. As he is an attention seeking freak.

:p
  • Nocturnal MumNocturnal Mum Posts: 1,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The newly trained Family Liaison Officer seemed a bit too happy to be assigned this case.

So I reckon he was that disappointed being given this place as his area to work in, where nothing major happens.

He decided to make something happen. As he is an attention seeking freak.

:p

Ooh, I like that theory! Also, he didn't run very fast to stop the father punching the vicar.
  • curvybabescurvybabes Posts: 13,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does David Tennant look quite unwell? (Even allowing for make-up)

I think he looks great, obv he is unwell in the programme but he looks great rough :)
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Will Mellor!!

I didnt know he was in this I was like is it him :eek: he looked so different lol
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    I think I'm going to drive myself crazy over the next 6 weeks (six weeks!!) trying to get to the bottom of this!

me too
    Mrs Teapot wrote: »
    Mum could have had an affair with the policewoman's husband....my mad guess.

I thought that too but also think the sister, the boyfriend and drugs must have something to do with and pauline quirk :confused:
  • themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched both episodes back to back. It's good but surely dad's alibi is the first thing they would check.

Also what's the pregnancy thing people keep mentioning?I missed that when I wawatched.
  • thats_racistthats_racist Posts: 1,422
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched both episodes back to back. It's good but surely dad's alibi is the first thing they would check.

Also what's the pregnancy thing people keep mentioning?I missed that when I wawatched.

The murdered boys mother is pregnant. She hasnt told anybody but the vicar.

I'm enjoying it so far, it's miles ahead of both Shetland and Mayday.
  • domedome Posts: 55,878
    Forum Member
    Love this series.

Right,

BIB wasn't it the older daughter not the son?
  • themightypierrethemightypierre Posts: 664
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The murdered boys mother is pregnant. She hasnt told anybody but the vicar.

So we can rule out vicar as the dad. I don't get what everyone is saying about the policewoman's husband. He's not ringing any alarm bells for me.

My guess is its a true red herring. The dad is her husband. When he becomes prime suspect she will lose plot and maybe try to have a termination or something.

In all honesty everything is up in the air tll we know more about Quirk's character. She looks suspicious because she all broody and shit and she smokes (sign of immorality in dramas, proof only other smoker is the reporter).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catsitter wrote: »
    Talking of postmen, surely there should be at least two of them around - one who delivers letters, and another who delivers parcels?

The Reverend Paul Coates was talking to the victim's grandmother as though the church he was serving were the only one serving Broadchurch - surely there should at least be one Roman Catholic congregation and one free church in Broadchurch?
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    The policewoman, Ellie, only came back from leave the morning of the discovery of the murder and had obviously been somewhere abroad. I suppose the husband could have snuck out the previous evening ... well, maybe. As for the moaning about the effect on tourism, I live in a tourist area and it was totally real that that would happen, although I would have thought it would attract rubberneckers rather than the opposite.

I agree that surely one of the first things the police would have done would have been to check out the dad's alibi and would have asked for the address of the job where he was supposed to have been working.
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    I missed this last night and cannot get itv player where i live - is the episode repeated?
  • Killary45Killary45 Posts: 1,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pegasus2 wrote: »
    The policewoman, Ellie, only came back from leave the morning of the discovery of the murder and had obviously been somewhere abroad. I suppose the husband could have snuck out the previous evening ... well, maybe.

Was Ellie on holiday (for three weeks?) without her husband, 11-year-old son and toddler? Seems unlikely. But if her son was involved in something dodgy with the victim he must have been at home in the days before the murder.
  • catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So we can rule out vicar as the dad. I don't get what everyone is saying about the policewoman's husband. He's not ringing any alarm bells for me.
    I think the main reason I suspect him may just be because the character the actor played in The Baker Boys was so untrustworthy!

Sue_Aitch wrote: »
    The Reverend Paul Coates was talking to the victim's grandmother as though the church he was serving were the only one serving Broadchurch - surely there should at least be one Roman Catholic congregation and one free church in Broadchurch?
    Yes, and he was saying the service was very poorly attended. I find that hard to believe because whenever a child is killed in real life, there will be a news report on how their local church was packed out the following Sunday.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 258
    Forum Member
    The Dad's response to the vicar was odd.

I thought that, I also thought it was weird when he said to the vicar that Danny was 'left for dead'. Don't know if I'm reading too much into it but it seemed a weird thing to say unless he had other info.
  • pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Killary45 wrote: »
    Was Ellie on holiday (for three weeks?) without her husband, 11-year-old son and toddler? Seems unlikely. But if her son was involved in something dodgy with the victim he must have been at home in the days before the murder.
    I wasn't suggesting she'd been on holiday on her own, but you raise a good point; if her son was involved then they must have returned days before the murder.
This discussion has been closed.