Options

So What MMORPG Are People Playing

Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
Forum Member
So afters years fighting through EQ and WOW I stopped playing MMORPG'S about 4 years ago. I've been playing World of Tanks recently (last year) and have got the hankering for an MMORPG again.

So recently I tried FFXIV and while it's good, I'm just not all that into JRPG's, so stopped after my month was up. I tried ESO again (I did the Beta) and I just find it very boring.

So I've started playing Guild Wars 2 and I'm enjoying it, there's plenty of people around in the zones, the graphics and story are good, so I think this will be my main game.

This week I've tried Wildstar and while there's meant to be plenty of people around end game, the levelling seems very empty, I don't want to rush to end game. I deleted it last night. I've now started Tera, there seems to be plenty of life in the game, but again it's the whole JRPG thing that puts me off.

So what are you guys playing or looking forward too? I'm guessing Black Desert, but again it's a JRPG (ok Korean, but you know what I mean), but apparently it has no PVE endgame, it's very easy to level, so your going to get to end game pretty quick, I heard you can do it in a few weeks.

Comments

• Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I gave Secret World a shot a couple of years ago but that was it. Haven't touched WoW since 2005 :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I just can't be bothered to get back into WOW, I'm trying to avoid subscription games as I don't have a massive amount of time, so if I don't play for a few days I don't have to worry about paying for it, so to speak. Plus I'd have to try to get Blizzard to allow me access to my account to play again and that could be a nightmare.
  • Options
    JimallJimall Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    I don't know why but a couple of months ago I really fancied playing "Defiance" again, so I downloaded it on the PC (I previously played it on the PS3). I think it's a pretty decent MMO, there seems to be a lot of people around when there's a big Arkfall etc. but it is a game where you can also quite easily play solo.

Other games by the same developer include Rift, ArcheAge, Devilian and Trove. I downloaded and gave them all a go as well (minus Rift - but I did play that 2 years ago). I haven't really played much of ArcheAge yet but it seems ok so far. Trove isn't my kind of thing, kinda like Minecraft I guess but I haven't play Minecraft so I could be wrong (looks similar). Devilian is a fun game, somewhat repetitive whilst leveling up but, in my opinion, definitely worth a look. They're all free to play as well.

Currently, when I've got some free time, I'm mixing it up between ArcheAge, Defiance and Devilian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks may take a look. As I said I'm enjoying GW2. I like the fact that you level by mainly exploring and helping out, as there's no quests as such accept for you own story quest.
  • Options
    The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really miss the EQ series, it set the standard in orcs and dragons MMO's for all other similar genre MMO's to follow, including WoW that's basically a glorified EQ.

Have tried many other MMO's since, most recently Planetside 2. Its best time was during its beta through the first few months after release. I continued to play it casually for another year.

Then I heard of Star Citizen. No other game has grasped much of my attention since. Waiting patiently for 2017/18 for its full release.
    Lets face it, almost every other game is either simplistic or a mish mash of some other game(s).
  • Options
    Nick_BeedenNick_Beeden Posts: 9
    Forum Member
    I keep on jumping back and forwards between WOW & DAoC on the one hand and Terra, SWTOR & Minecraft on the other. Not sure if Minecraft fits the bill for a RPG although it is MMO :)

I kinda like old school, but I find newer things interesting to learn,
  • Options
    Booty luvBooty luv Posts: 2,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I use to be a big player of World Of Warcraft but after years of playing I got board, I just lost interest once pandaria was released. I have tried going back a few times over the last 2 years but I just end up getting board after a few hours and uninstall it again.

I tried Star Wars The Old Republic when that was first released and it just felt rather empty to me and I ended up getting bored and quit somewhere between level 20-30.

A work colleague recommenced Guild Wars 2 and the fact the game didn't have a subscription made this a big positive for me... Personally I love the customization in this game as it makes your game a bit more unique. The issue I had with the game is the questing, it just wasn't my cup of tea as I often just stumbled on quest that were already half done with.

After about a year away from any MMO I got the urge today to find another one to try, at first I thought about giving Star Wars another go but for some reason decided not to ... not really sure why not, but maybe I still will. I then looked into Marvel Heroes but looking on youtube it looked crap... I then looked on Steam and saw Elder Scrolls online was on sale so figured I would just jump in and give it ago... once it has finshed installing I will give it ago and hopefully it will keep me entertained and will fill the MMO void in my life :cool:
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Secret World for me. With the occasional resurgence of interest in The Old Republic.
  • Options
    fluffedfluffed Posts: 1,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The_One wrote: »
    I really miss the EQ series, it set the standard in orcs and dragons MMO's for all other similar genre MMO's to follow, including WoW that's basically a glorified EQ.

EQ is still going, releasing yearly expansions, but it kind of only for people who have been playing for years now. Not played WoW in years, no plans ever to play again after picking up the last expansion and playing it for about 4 hours, before thinking this is just the same old stuff again.

I gave Blade and Soul a bash recently, and the combat is actually really cool and the setting is different than your usual. I've not got the time to play it much though, and apparently it gets a bit pay to win at the higher lvls.
  • Options
    paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    still try and get into Eve occasionally, rarely subscribe for more than a month at a time though.

Star Trek Online is appealing and I spend some time on that one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well I had a good week end on GW2. Got a few levels, and was just wasting time so went exploring the Main City Hub and got another level. Thats what I do like about the game, you can get levels without the constant need for combat. It's like the "heart quests" they often have several ways to complete them, so if you more into healing you can do the non combat version etc.

I also like the fact the zones will down scale you for that zone. So I entered a 25-35 zone completed everything full map completion. But I was to low a level to enter the next zone, mobs taking 25% health off me in one hit etc. So I went to another 15-25 zone, got downscaled and got my extra few levels there.

The community is very good and friendly, mainly because you can't kill steal, no gathering node campers and because you scale you get higher players coming into your zone to do dailies or map completion, they actually encourage you to follow them to do the harder instanced mobs/quests.
  • Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Booty luv wrote: »
    I then looked on Steam and saw Elder Scrolls online was on sale so figured I would just jump in and give it ago... once it has finshed installing I will give it ago and hopefully it will keep me entertained and will fill the MMO void in my life :cool:

Ahh TESO. Loved the game in beta, bought it and we played it as a guild for a couple of months but the PvP is shocking unfortunately. It promised so much to be a DAoC-like system with collapsable walls etc which is fun for a while but it just ran out of steam.

Not played it since before my extended hospital stay in 2014 but might fire it up again for a look. It did have a lot of good things going for it before we all got utterly sick to death of the PvP.

Star Wars: The Old Republic is pretty much the only one I play these days. I'd love to be able to log into DAoC but I've lost all my three accounts' log in details! I could recover them easy enough I guess but it's more hassle than it's worth really.

My long time guild are mostly flitting between SW:ToR and then games like World of Tanks, War Thunder or Rainbow Six Seige, none of which are my bag.

Besides these days it's rare I get enough time to do any MMO gaming. I've been playing online since the mid to late 1990s in text MUDs and then EverQuest/DAoC etc but that's nearly 20 years ago and I have a 7-year-old son now and most of my fellow guild mates are the same, all with children now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I played ESO in Beta, but wasn't a fan so didn't pick it up at launch. Tried again the other week, it just feels so flat. The main quest is annoying and I just don't like the graphics, I hate the ORC models, same as their off line games. I love playing green skins but hate the Orcs in these games, they're just not very Orcy, more like humans with fangs.

WOT is far too toxic. I usually give it a go in the morning before work while drinking my coffee and the communities great, but if you do that at the weekend you notice by 10'ish all the kids come on line and it just gets bad, getting called a "Noob" when you have a "mark of distinction" on your barrel for instance. I was once attacked in chat in the game, even though I won it for my team, the guy then followed me onto private chat, bemoaning me, and pointing out how "crap" I was I then pointed out he managed to do all of 30pts of damage more than me, even though I was in British TD with low alpha damage and low mobility, and he was in a HT.

The game then gets ok around 4'sh but again goes down hill when kids get in from school, picks up late at night. But it's such a "money sink" of a game, which I don't mind, but I'm not paying to be abused.
  • Options
    IamParadoxIamParadox Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still play SW:TOR but mainly for PvP. For a while I played Neverwinter but the cash grabs got to much and they made soloing almost impossible.

Tried Elder Scrolls and it's fun but not a game I could play a lot.

Secret World was ok but Funcom suck at launch and the elitism made it less enjoyable,

I hope a game like SWG is released. An MMO with true character freedom and great combat.
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    i've been playing SW:ToR but some of the recent bugs and how poor this latest update was has finished me with it

i dont mind a bit of a grind to level up my alliance but i expected more than a chapter update that took less than an hour to do and one new companion to recruit that again took less than an hour to do
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    EVE Online. I love the freedom of it. However, recently they've introduced a system that allows you to buy skill points on the in-game market. Until now you've only been able to acquire skill points over time, but now you can buy a 'skill extractor' from the cash shop which removes your skill points and creates an item called a 'skill injector' which can then be sold. This is a major change and a lot of people aren't happy with it. Time will tell what effect this has on the game.

I'm still tempted to play WoW but Warlords of Draenor is probably the worst expansion so far. I can't cope with the stresses of raiding due to health issues so I generally solo, go questing etc, and for people like me there's not much to do. Garrisons are merely an elaborate Facebook game. When I completed my mage's transmog set I got bored and unsubbed, I've still got a whole bunch of reps to grind but I can't be bothered.
  • Options
    DaewosDaewos Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    Been playing GW2 regularly for a couple of years but have to say I am a bit bored with it just now, I cannot get into Heart Of Thorns at all. I am playing FFXIV and liking it.
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    shaddler wrote: »
    I'm still tempted to play WoW but Warlords of Draenor is probably the worst expansion so far. I can't cope with the stresses of raiding due to health issues so I generally solo, go questing etc, and for people like me there's not much to do. Garrisons are merely an elaborate Facebook game. When I completed my mage's transmog set I got bored and unsubbed, I've still got a whole bunch of reps to grind but I can't be bothered.
    WoW has got boring. I played it almost daily for several hours at a time, got a guild I use as bankspace for my alts up to level 25 on my own (not easy, and only for Blizz to kill off the guild levels a few days later when WoD was released), and then at Xmas I just lost interest with it.

I'm usually a solo player or I play with a small group of friends unless it's a raid, but I think when Blizz decided to make people jump through hoops to get flying they trashed the game. Feedback was already bad: they were haemorrhaging players due to dumbing down the skills system (admittedly pre WoD), messing up the launch, a lot of what they promised was absent, and then there was the Flyinggate incident (which revealed a lot of mistruth on their side).

I think what did it for me is the fact that they're not listening to their user base and the level of vileness in chat in the trade channel. When people pay £120 a year to play a game they want it to be fun, not something that feels like they're working and/or being abused constantly. Doing repetitive shit day in day out is not fun, especially when they're expecting you do it to unlock something like flying. The initial was when you get to 100 you'll get flying, then it was they're removing it from now on (including any xpacs), then it became a case of "well you need to do all this to get flying..." and it was boring.

I'm currently playing Elite: Dangerous, but I'm enjoying that in solo mode and I don't mind because it's been a pretty steep learning curve.
  • Options
    RooksRooks Posts: 9,102
    Forum Member
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    When people pay £120 a year to play a game they want it to be fun, not something that feels like they're working and/or being abused constantly. Doing repetitive shit day in day out is not fun, especially when they're expecting you do it to unlock something like flying.

Blizzard's big problem is the lack of content updates over recent years. Since the Siege of Orgrimmar in Sept 2013, there's only been 3 content updates and one of those was quite small. It's been almost a year since the last update. Blizzard seem to rely on daily quests to keep people playing, but as you say, after a while that's no longer fun. Blizzard have stopped reporting numbers for WoW which isn't a good sign and whilst low WoW figures are still amazing by other MMO standards, it's still suffered a severe decline.

And I'm not sure Legion will bring the numbers up significantly either. It's been too long, people will return but many have simply moved on.

The MMO market is a mess. EQ Next has been cancelled, most other MMOs have gone Free to Play in order to survive. This last year has been the first year that I've played no MMOs at all since EverQuest hooked me in 1999. Sad days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rooks wrote: »
    This last year has been the first year that I've played no MMOs at all since EverQuest hooked me in 1999. Sad days.

I've rarely played anything this year but that's because it's now 20+ years since I started gaming on text MUDs in the 1990s and my priorities and time availability are massively different.
    I simply don't have the time to game like I used to, not with a family.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Started playing the division, I do like the fact you can just drop in and out. Only got 30mins, just do a few side quests or encounters, an hour or more progress the story. Not sure how the end game will pan out though.

I wanted to try Black Desert Online, but not sure if my laptop would run it smoothly enough, it runs the Division in Ultra. So I was told to try the Russian version, which is FTP and see if it ran nicely. What a PITA to actually play the game, so I gave up. Will wait till they start doing 7 days trials etc.
  • Options
    yorkieUKyorkieUK Posts: 2,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like a couple of others here I played Elder Scrolls Online from beta but sadly it got a little boring so I stopped for a while. I started playing again a couple of weeks ago when the Thieves Guild expansion was introduced. It was interesting enough but it did not take too long to complete all the new expansion had to offer.

I was a little surprised that Everquest Next was cancelled. It seemed a very promising game too. I even paid $19.95 I think it was for the Landmark option and early access etc. I do not think that money will be returned some how! :)

Camelot Unchained looks to be released later in the year. As all us MMO players know release dates are never set in stone. I was, and still am, a big fan of Dark Age of Camelot so I am particularly looking forward to Unchained.

There are a couple of "zombie games" coming out. One of them looks pretty ok - The Repopulation I think it is called.

As someone has already said the MMO game market is not good at the moment.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^^ I think in terms of games the MMORPG market is over saturated. It seems publishers are eager to grab all the asian mmo's and bring them to the Western Market, there seems to be a new one every week or so.

But I just don't like Asian MMO's, in what world do hot pants and a skimpy top make for armour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yorkieUK wrote: »
    Camelot Unchained looks to be released later in the year. As all us MMO players know release dates are never set in stone. I was, and still am, a big fan of Dark Age of Camelot so I am particularly looking forward to Unchained.

Pinning all our hopes on this one :) DAoC is and will always remain my favourite ever MMO.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I am currently enjoy playing Tree of Savior a lot.
    It reminds me a lot of Ragnarok Online. I played that MMO for years.