Replacing my Small form factor PC with a Mac Mini

2»

Comments

• cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Seriously though, if a Mini can run photoshop and video editing then why are there faster Macs? There shouldn't be a need for them. It seems Apple disagree.

Maybe they exist for professional users and consumers who want more power or a future-proof computer. I always thought of the Mac Mini as a great computer for entry level users (those who mostly want to browse the internet, do a bit of word processing, store photos/music and watch the odd movie), PC switchers and those who want to use them as media centres.
  • MassiveDynamicsMassiveDynamics Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main issue with Mac Mini's is the dog slow 5400rpm hard drive. The CPU's are plenty good enough for Photoshop although the Intel graphics are a bit slow for video editors such as Final Cut Pro X.

The best part about a Mac Mini is the lack of noise, they are really quiet for general use and they are very frugal on electricity consumption.

I have one under the TV for media playback and it is pretty good, I can easily playback MP4 HD TV recordings that I have converted from a Windows Media Center PC (satellite TV card).
  • chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seriously though, if a Mini can run photoshop and video editing then why are there faster Macs? There shouldn't be a need for them. It seems Apple disagree.

if that's your argument then i have to laugh.
    why have anything that has more power? why have cars that can go faster than 70mph?
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they exist for professional users and consumers who want more power or a future-proof computer. I always thought of the Mac Mini as a great computer for entry level users (those who mostly want to browse the internet, do a bit of word processing, store photos/music and watch the odd movie), PC switchers and those who want to use them as media centres.

I agree with everything that you say about entry level computer, but the OP wants to do video editing and photoshop which make them a power user.
    chenks wrote: »
    if that's your argument then i have to laugh.
    why have anything that has more power? why have cars that can go faster than 70mph?

Laugh away with your lack of discussion. I never expected any more from you anyway.

It really pisses me off when people claim a Mac Mini can do everything when i have first hand experience to the contrary. Then someone goes and spends a lot of money on your terrible fanboy advice and comes unstuck when it cant do what you said it could.

I see you ignored my point about XCode :rolleyes:.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Laugh away with your lack of discussion. I never expected any more from you anyway.

It really pisses me off when people claim a Mac Mini can do everything when i have first hand experience to the contrary. Then someone goes and spends a lot of money on your terrible fanboy advice and comes unstuck when it cant do what you said it could.

I see you ignored my point about XCode :rolleyes:.

i have a mac mini and my experience is obviously different to yours. i actually mentioned xcode in a previous post and, as i use xcode, i have had no issues.

btw, what is a "super mini" that you said you had?

however, you have lost any right to discussion by using the term "fanboy". i see your angle now, good luck with it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    i have a mac mini and my experience is obviously different to yours. i actually mentioned xcode in a previous post and, as i use xcode, i have had no issues.

btw, what is a "super mini" that you said you had?

however, you have lost any right to discussion by using the term "fanboy". i see your angle now, good luck with it.

MacMinis may be fine for hello world but they aren't for professional scale projects.

I'm not sure why your asking me a question when you've decided i'm not worth debating with. I'm happy for you to ignore me because you've never contributed anything worth while so far from what i've seen.
    Forum Member
    I agree with everything that you say about entry level computer, but the OP wants to do video editing and photoshop which make them a power user.

So would the OP be better off with an iMac then? Only thing is that it costs more than the Mac Mini.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So would the OP be better off with an iMac then? Only thing is that it costs more than the Mac Mini.

The more recent Minis might be fine at video editing, if others have tried it first hand, then its fair enough advice.

The Minis we used though about 3 years ago now would NOT be suitable for the OP at all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The more recent Minis might be fine at video editing, if others have tried it first hand, then its fair enough advice.

The Minis we used though about 3 years ago now would NOT be suitable for the OP at all.

things change in 3 years, i'm pretty sure the OP is not intending on buying a 3 year old mac mini.

i have used a mac mini for video editing (both iMovie and FCPX), so it this fair enough in your eyes?

current specs of mac mini are

2.5GHz Core i5 /w 4GB RAM
    or
    2.4GHz Core i7 /w 4GB RAM

both more than capable
    Forum Member

I presume the specs are a lot different now? I haven't looked much at the Mac Mini.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the current Mac Mini can do the job then cool. The specs do look very different now!
  • StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If the current Mac Mini can do the job then cool. The specs do look very different now!
    I know it's just benchmark figures but this page shows how they rate against other models these days:

http://browser.primatelabs.com/mac-benchmarks