Why do the producers have a chosen few acts who they want as finalists/to win?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 758
Forum Member
✭✭
This issue constantly arises on this forum regarding certain acts whoh are given preferential treatment to keep them in the competition.

However, should ratings not be the producers' main concern? Does it really matter if Sam B wins over Tamera or Rough Copy?

It was blatantly obvious that Cher Lloyd was kept in the competition over Mary Byrne a few years ago - largely due to having Will.i.am booked to perform with Cher.

However, shouldn't the producers just be concerned with ratings? If they concentrated more on making a great tv show rather than pushing their chosen few to the final, perhaps the ratings decline would reverse?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FernandoM wrote: »
    This issue constantly arises on this forum regarding certain acts whoh are given preferential treatment to keep them in the competition.

However, should ratings not be the producers' main concern? Does it really matter is Sam B wins over Tamera or Rough Copy?

It was blatantly obvious that Cher Lloyd was kept in the competition over Mary Byrne a few years ago - largely due to having Will.i.am booked to perform with Cher.

However, shouldn't the producers just be concerned with ratings? If they concentrated more on making a great tv show rather than pushing their chosen few to the final, perhaps the ratings decline would reverse?

Ultimately, syco is lucking for cash cows during the off season, between xfactor shows. The goal of the show is to fill Simon's pockets full of cash, if they keep ITV happy that's a bonus. IMO.
  • mmpfbmmpfb Posts: 14,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjbir wrote: »
    Ultimately, syco is lucking for cash cows during the off season, between xfactor shows. The goal of the show is to fill Simon's pockets full of cash, if they keep ITV happy that's a bonus. IMO.

Pretty much this.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if more money is made off the TV shows than actual record sales and the tv producers will be more concerned with ratings the line of command goes right up to Cowell who has his finger in both the pies. Therefore I guess it's a balancing act between producing the most entertaining show with at least a plausible pretence to be an open platform for real undiscovered talent and the record companies desire to use it as a platform to launch their preferred artists that they've already had their eye on for some time.

It's exactly the same with BGT. Some people will be real walk-ins, but some will also be people discovered on youtube/caberat circuits etc who have specifically been invited to audition.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    mmpfb wrote: »
    Pretty much this.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if more money is made off the TV shows than actual record sales and the tv producers will be more concerned with ratings the line of command goes right up to Cowell who has his finger in both the pies. Therefore I guess it's a balancing act between producing the most entertaining show with at least a plausible pretence to be an open platform for real undiscovered talent and the record companies desire to use it as a platform to launch their preferred artists that they've already had their eye on for some time.

It's exactly the same with BGT. Some people will be real walk-ins, but some will also be people discovered on youtube/caberat circuits etc who have specifically been invited to audition.

I often wonder if the producers give some of the invited
    participants inducements to appear on the show, like
    guarantee that they will be in the final 3. :eek: :cry:
  • ageappropriateageappropriate Posts: 9,895
    Forum Member
    SOD_IT wrote: »

Ask Katie Waissel. ;)
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    I doubt it. They'd never be able to keep such a promise as, ultimately, if the public just don't take to an act, there's only so much they can do.
    Ask Katie Waissel. ;)

See above. Although they would have kept her so much because, not only did they buy her out of a management deal and were determined to get their money's worth, she was also good for ratings.
    Forum Member
    Ask Katie Waissel. ;)

She won't answer her phone.
    :rolleyes::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmm, not sure. It would be very risky to guarantee anything, certainly with regard to progression within the show. I'd not at all be surprised if they hinted in a wink-wink-nudge-nudge way that it would be 'worth their while' though.

Actually, I do wonder whether Tamera was given the impression she's pretty much guaranteed a record deal. It would explain why she doesn't seem entirely focussed on the show. I'd imagine she's pretty much guaranteed one as long as she doesn't go home this week.

Also, record producers were being asked to pitch material for 1D way before the climax of that series so the wheels certainly get set in motion early on for the preferred acts for post-show stuff.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    I doubt it. They'd never be able to keep such a promise as, ultimately, if the public just don't take to an act, there's only so much they can do.

See above. Although they would have kept her so much because, not only did they buy her out of a management deal and were determined to get their money's worth, she was also good for ratings.

Yep. But they could quite possibly guarantee them a record deal as long as they finished in the top four or similar, for example.
    Forum Member

How many times have the saved the one act from the bottom two and the rule change to save an act in the semi,s. :rolleyes:

Although my thread earlier was a bit fun, the possibility is
    there for the producers to ignore the public vote at any
    stage to save an act. ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many times have the saved the one act from the bottom two and the rule change to save an act in the semi,s. :rolleyes:

Cher springs to mind.

That got her to the magic fourth place and a full series of exposure. Perfect to launch her career post X-Factor despite not winning.
    Forum Member
    Yep. But they could quite possibly guarantee them a record deal as long as they finished in the top four or similar, for example.
    Yes, but guaranteeing a record deal and a guaranteeing a place in the top 3 are two different things.

Well, the record is 4, but it seems you're missing my point. They would never guarantee someone a place in the top 3 because they have no way of knowing how the public will respond. And I'm aware that they have some power to help the contestant, but like I said before, there's only so much they can do. The example you just cited with Cher didn't even see her into the top 3, she came 4th.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but guaranteeing a record deal and a guaranteeing a place in the top 3 are two different things.

Well, the record is 4, but it seems you're missing my point. They would never guarantee someone a place in the top 3 because they have no way of knowing how the public will respond. And I'm aware that they have some power to help the contestant, but like I said before, there's only so much they can do. The example you just cited with Cher didn't even see her into the top 3, she came 4th.

Oh I know. But there are certainly some contestants who are 'fasttracked'.
    Forum Member
    Oh I know. But there are certainly some contestants who are 'fasttracked'.

There always have been. Even dear old Leona was, as you put it, fasttracked.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There always have been. Even dear old Leona was, as you put it, fasttracked.

Oh, that was the most obvious one by far. Also made it the dullest series in history.
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Basically - ££££££

Let's face it. Without any manipulation the public would just constantly pick safe and inoffensive acts that probably wouldn't sell many records. Just look at most of the current pop stars and ask yourself how would they do if they were on XF? Most would be out by week 2.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jjbir wrote: »

It's an unholy alliance between Syco and the show and leads to bad television. It would be far healthier if there was no record contract at the end of the series, just a huge cash prize and then any record company could sign the winner.

It stinks to high heaven that Cowell and his minions have a vested interest in who does well in the competition (to the point where they defrauded the people who voted for Mary Byrne).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's an unholy alliance between Syco and the show and leads to bad television. It would be far healthier if there was no record contract at the end of the series, just a huge cash prize and then any record company could sign the winner.

It stinks to high heaven that Cowell and his minions have a vested interest in who does well in the competition (to the point where they defrauded the people who voted for Mary Byrne).

How did they defraud the people who voted for Mary Byrne?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    How did they defraud the people who voted for Mary Byrne?

iirc

they had said there would be no sing off and it would be the lowest in the public vote that went home

then they changed it , had a sing-off which was between her and cher Lloyd, and the judges saved cher
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    iirc

they had said there would be no sing off and it would be the lowest in the public vote that went home

then they changed it , had a sing-off which was between her and cher Lloyd, and the judges saved cher

Ah yes I vaguely remember now. That was shitty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vol wrote: »
    Basically - ££££££

Let's face it. Without any manipulation the public would just constantly pick safe and inoffensive acts that probably wouldn't sell many records. Just look at most of the current pop stars and ask yourself how would they do if they were on XF? Most would be out by week 2.

Indeed, I give you Sam and Nick!
    They will be working this week to keep Sam And Nick as joint leaders and not let one runaway, getting Tamera back in the race and keeping Rough Copy in it. I don't think Luke or Hannah will figure in the final 4.
    By the semi final time they will want at least 3 if not all 4 in with a chance otherwise the competition will be dead by then!
    I would expect more of the same from the frontrunners this week, a big performance from Tamera and high praise for Rough Copy whatever they sound like!
  • elenaelena Posts: 14,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is just my opinion of what happens, though may be mistaken:

I think at around this stage in the contest, it will have been decided which acts Syco want to sign. For some acts, it might happen even earlier, but I would guess it gets crystallised around now/the last half of the final shows.

That of course creates a slight problem in that they want to ensure the act they sign gets maximum exposure and therefore a final spot is immensely preferable.

With Waissel, I think Syco wanted to sign her early on, saw that she was pretty much poison to the viewing public, and Simons agenda from that point on was purely ratings-driven. Simon Cowell is not delusional. I don't think for a minute he thought Katie would work as one of his artists when he saw how she went down like a lead balloon in the lives.
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The show caters to two major stakeholders: ITV and Syco. They try to strike the balance between a fun show (hence, they've tried twists like the flash vote and bringing in a wildcard) and a show that pushes the right people. They're not mutually exclusive, but there are times these two interests clash (e.g. the crucifixion of Maloney was bordering on vile but it prevents Syco from having to promote the guy as the winner). You can't just say that one of them is a main stakeholder and the other is not as important.

I know it's a TV show but people tend to forget that the prize is a recording contract. If you know America's Next Top Model, you'd know that the winner will be signed by an agency and will get a fashion spread, but the providers of said prizes has changed over the years. The X-Factor does NOT have the luxury of that, which is why the producers do what they can so the show won't have ten Steve Brooksteins as the winners without making the show unwatchable (in contrast, ANTM just revolves around Tyra's whims). This is where scouting comes in; it's the equivalent of companies hiring people given by headhunters. The scouted ones either get signed by the bosses or use the exposure to launch their careers. Sure, there are acts who aren't scouted, but they better be damn special or else...
  • j0annej0anne Posts: 2,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV do this for all the chosen ones ..look at BGT...IACGMOH....ect
  • plinkiplonkplinkiplonk Posts: 3,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IIRC, there is a clause in the contract that, if you finish amongst the top 4 (or is it 5 ?), then Syco / Sony Music have first refusal on signing you. This means that they will do their utmost to hoist the chosen act(s) into the semi finals (see Cher Lloyd) to make sure no rival record companies can sign them up with a better (i.e. fairer) deal.

There have been persistent rumours that Tamera is all but signed already, so be prepared for her to be part of the last 4 at least. Similar, Rough Copy are obviously being primed to seamlessly take over the JLS slot in the market (hence JLS having to draw out their retirement until after this season ends), so there won't be any bad comments for a while for them, either.
  • David_MorganDavid_Morgan Posts: 1,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    The show caters to two major stakeholders: ITV and Syco. They try to strike the balance between a fun show (hence, they've tried twists like the flash vote and bringing in a wildcard) and a show that pushes the right people. They're not mutually exclusive, but there are times these two interests clash (e.g. the crucifixion of Maloney was bordering on vile but it prevents Syco from having to promote the guy as the winner). You can't just say that one of them is a main stakeholder and the other is not as important.

I know it's a TV show but people tend to forget that the prize is a recording contract. If you know America's Next Top Model, you'd know that the winner will be signed by an agency and will get a fashion spread, but the providers of said prizes has changed over the years. The X-Factor does NOT have the luxury of that, which is why the producers do what they can so the show won't have ten Steve Brooksteins as the winners without making the show unwatchable (in contrast, ANTM just revolves around Tyra's whims). This is where scouting comes in; it's the equivalent of companies hiring people given by headhunters. The scouted ones either get signed by the bosses or use the exposure to launch their careers. Sure, there are acts who aren't scouted, but they better be damn special or else...

This all rings true, but there's also feed-back. Contestants want to appear on the show because they see the success enjoyed by previous winners and runners-up. A couple of years of Tesco Mary and Orange Chris winning will see the pool of marketable talent (Cher, Tamera, Misha B) dry up, as, clearly, the voters prefer the solid belters to the interesting innovators. And let's face it, we are all watching ITV on a Saturday night, we're not out at some 21st Century Speakeasy our tastes are staid.

I quite understand the manipulations needed to make the show work, what I don't understand is why they don't find better acts in the first place. Tamera for example, is OK, but she isn't great; is there nobody great out there? Having said that, I think Rihanna Fenty is a poor excuse for a performer, so if she's the ideal I'll never be a hep-cat.