Options

Calvin Harris & Rihanna - This Is What You Came For (Single)

jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,413
Forum Member
✭✭
Calvin Harris has announced that his new single will be a collaboration with Rihanna and will drop tomorrow. Will lightning strike twice after the immense success of We Found Love? Either way I can't wait to hear it :p. It seems that those who want a more commercial Rihanna sound might get their wish after all.

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    30 second snippet:

https://twitter.com/CalvinHarris/status/725729734030561280

Sounds interesting :D.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Just heard the full song . I like it.. Calvin does seem to have a way about him. I wish he would allow Rita to release their work together .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the full song is out on all platforms. #2 on iTunes. I like it and Ri sounds great on it. I don't think it was the sort of track she really needed to do but this will be a hit here in the UK I'm sure. I suppose it'll satisfy those who don't like ANTI. Although I much prefer the track she features on on Drake's new album.

Apparently Rihanna only heard the track for the first time 2 weeks ago and immediately loved it and said she'd record it.
  • Options
    wef0undl0vewef0undl0ve Posts: 6,460
    Forum Member
    Love it, still prefer we found love but this one might grow on me like Work did, I really want to buy the track she features on Drake's new album but I don't want to have buy his full album 😩
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Love it, still prefer we found love but this one might grow on me like Work did, I really want to buy the track she features on Drake's new album but I don't want to have buy his full album 😩

Same it's quite annoying. I suspect Drake may release it as a single at some point though.

TIWYCF #1 on iTunes now.
  • Options
    HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,633
    Forum Member
    We Found Love will always a monster track that I don't think Calvin & Rihanna could ever better.

That said, I really This Is What You Came For. It's got that subtle dance sound that worked really well on How Deep Is Your Love?

Calvin just delivers hit after hit. He's unstoppable at the moment.
  • Options
    PyRoMaNiAcPyRoMaNiAc Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    Very paint by numbers dance music, but it's ok i suppose!
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    I'd say another number one is heading their way

This is so much better than work
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ritchie2yk wrote: »
    I'd say another number one is heading their way

This is so much better than work

I think it's too close to call with Drake's domination on Spotify (getting over 800k streams per day!!! :o ) plus he's got two versions of One Dance in the iTunes top 5.

Calvin Harris would need a massive lead over #2 - and continue to have a massive lead all week - to secure the #1 spot next Friday.

Apparently it's entered at #6 on Spotify so it's left to be seen if the track grows on Spotify.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    PyRoMaNiAc wrote: »
    Very paint by numbers dance music, but it's ok i suppose!

Indeed. Not a patch on We Found Love tbh.
  • Options
    ritchie2ykritchie2yk Posts: 5,556
    Forum Member
    Hitstastic wrote: »
    I think it's too close to call with Drake's domination on Spotify (getting over 800k streams per day!!! :o ) plus he's got two versions of One Dance in the iTunes top 5.

Calvin Harris would need a massive lead over #2 - and continue to have a massive lead all week - to secure the #1 spot next Friday.

Apparently it's entered at #6 on Spotify so it's left to be seen if the track grows on Spotify.

I imagine it will probably keep rising, how deep is your love was in the charts for a lifetime can imagine this being in the top 40 throughout the summer
  • Options
    kutoxkutox Posts: 16,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What a lame song. But no doubt it'll get bought and played a billion times because of the two big names on it
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's insanely catchy which means it'll be a hit I'm sure, but I was expecting something slightly more interesting (not from Calvin but given that Rihanna is involved). It's strange to think that she turned down Lean On and How Deep Is Your Love but then put her vocals on this.

Also the info I posted earlier about the origins of this track was incorrect as I misunderstood. It turns out Calvin pitched this song to her for ANTI but Rihanna said it wouldn't fit on her album but then later agreed to record it as a feature.
  • Options
    MTUK1MTUK1 Posts: 20,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought the charts took all streaming services into account when calculating sales? Not just Spotify, but others like Apple Music and Google Play Music?
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. But i can imagine this song will help silent those fans who bitched, moaned and didn't like the lack of pop and dance on Anti.
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More regurgitated chart shite
  • Options
    Hogs HeadHogs Head Posts: 21,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's okay. I was waiting for the big "oomph" in the song/chorus, but it never came. It isn't anything special, but it isn't anything bad either. Just okay.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    It turns out Calvin pitched this song to her for ANTI but Rihanna said it wouldn't fit on her album but then later agreed to record it as a feature.

This Is What You Came For on first listen was instantly better than the whole of ANTI(climax) combined. I sort of get that Rihanna wants to "mature" as an artist and move away from the type of pop/dance music that made her popular in the first place. Would explain why even in such tragic sales climate, ANTI couldn't even sell enough to go top 5.
    MTUK1 wrote: »
    I thought the charts took all streaming services into account when calculating sales? Not just Spotify, but others like Apple Music and Google Play Music?

Indeed they do, but Spotify makes up by far the biggest percentage of stream sales each week. Apple Music probably contributes about tenth of what Spotify does in the charts.

It's the equivalent of iTunes - by far the biggest market for paid for downloads. iTunes makes up about 90% of all sales data.

Last year, Amazon had Marvin Gaye by Charlie Puth available to download whilst the song was still only a pre-order on iTunes. On Amazon, it was the most bought single for one week but never made the top 100. Either Amazon's singles sales didn't count towards the chart, or Marvin Gaye - despite being #1 - simply didn't sell enough to make the top 100 that week.
  • Options
    Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    gold2040 wrote: »
    More regurgitated chart shite

i love music snobbery :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This Is What You Came For on first listen was instantly better than the whole of ANTI(climax) combined. I sort of get that Rihanna wants to "mature" as an artist and move away from the type of pop/dance music that made her popular in the first place. Would explain why even in such tragic sales climate, ANTI couldn't even sell enough to go top 5.

I disagree with BIB but there you go. Drop this in the middle of ANTI and it would completely destroy the credibility and flow of the album. Similar to how 'Right Now' sticks out like a turd in the middle of Unapologetic. She's finally got it right in terms of delivering a fully cohesive album. Even Rated R didn't achieve that. TIWYCF is just basic and that's fine but it would be a huge step back for her to put a song like this on one of her albums now just because it'll be a hit. That's not to say that she can't return to that sound in the future but I'd expect something a bit more innovative and fresh if she did. Thankfully she saw sense and didn't put it on ANTI even though she clearly liked the track. If anything this proves that she hasn't moved away from full on pop/dance completely but clearly ANTI was a project she felt she needed to get out of her system. I'd actually like to see her go further down that route but that's just my opinion.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Up to #2 on Spotify and closing on Drake but still a fair way behind. It may not be enough to get #1 in the charts this week. Depends on how much pure sales it's getting. One Dance was streamed 7.86m times last week which is the most a song has ever been streamed in the UK in one week so it won't be easy.

Apparently the video for TIWYCF has already been shot. The video could propel it to #1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    Up to #2 on Spotify and closing on Drake but still a fair way behind. It may not be enough to get #1 in the charts this week. Depends on how much pure sales it's getting. One Dance was streamed 7.86m times last week which is the most a song has ever been streamed in the UK in one week so it won't be easy.

Apparently the video for TIWYCF has already been shot. The video could propel it to #1.

I think Calvin has got an excellent knowledge of how the charts work these days and is releasing his music in a way so that the song builds on its first week.

If this does go to #1 this coming Friday, its streaming will continue to increase next week and then if the music video goes to all music channels this coming weekend then that will boost the song even more.

How Deep Is Your Love? would've been #1 had it not been for One Direction releasing Drag Me Down out of nowhere. Calvin, like Drake, is one of the few artists now who is able to sell well on iTunes and stream well on Spotify.
  • Options
    Leyla_CarlisleLeyla_Carlisle Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    I LOVE this song! Another hit for sure!
  • Options
    Pepsii ColaPepsii Cola Posts: 1,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Calvin's right, her voice is amazing.
  • Options
    SquatchSquatch Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's enjoyable. A bit meh, but better than anything on Anti.

Anti is indeed cohesive - in that every single song is crap.

Rihanna is and always will be a pop star, she needs to stick to what she's good at.