Just got back from this.

Utterly brilliant!

Highly recommended!

Comments

• Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It looks wonderful. Plus i watch anything with Dame Maggie Smith in.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can't wait to see it. Am going away tomorrow but will be straight down to the cinema when we're back.
  • Options
    Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,198
    Forum Member
    I was fortunate to see Maggie in the original stage production at the Queen's Theatre in 1999, and I will certainly be making one of my rare visits to the cinema to see the film, it looks wonderful. :)
  • Options
    PuterkidPuterkid Posts: 9,795
    Forum Member
    Wonderful film, highly recommended:)
  • Options
    FlowesFlowes Posts: 6,986
    Forum Member
    amazing story! Saw it yesterday
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Can't wait to see it. Am going away tomorrow but will be straight down to the cinema when we're back.

Take it from me......you will so enjoy it.

Well acted and just a totally interesting story that held my attention throughout :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    heiker wrote: »
    Take it from me......you will so enjoy it.

Well acted and just a totally interesting story that held my attention throughout :)

Well there are very few Maggie Smith films I haven't seen and this certainly won't be one of them. (I'm not even sure if that makes sense but I'm ill and have just got into bed before an early flight, so please forgive me if it doesn't haha.)
  • Options
    AnnieJayAnnieJay Posts: 2,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Haven't seen this yet but looking forward to going as soon as I can. Looks brilliant :-)
  • Options
    silversoxsilversox Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    What a wonderful film! Am I right in thinking that the real Alan Bennett arrived on a bicycle at the unveiling of the plaque? It certainly looked like him!

Does anyone know where the short piece of film showing the road where the accident took place was filmed, please? I've looked on Imdb but it's not mentioned.

BTW - so glad someone else has started this thread as I still cannot type into the Title box.
  • Options
    mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was fortunate to see Maggie in the original stage production at the Queen's Theatre in 1999, and I will certainly be making one of my rare visits to the cinema to see the film, it looks wonderful. :)

SNAP!:D Always loved the ascending van...;-)
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    saw the film tonight and really enjoyed it however I preferred the play.
  • Options
    grantus_maxgrantus_max Posts: 2,744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    silversox wrote: »
    What a wonderful film! Am I right in thinking that the real Alan Bennett arrived on a bicycle at the unveiling of the plaque? It certainly looked like him!

Does anyone know where the short piece of film showing the road where the accident took place was filmed, please? I've looked on Imdb but it's not mentioned.

BTW - so glad someone else has started this thread as I still cannot type into the Title box.

Yes, that was AB popping up near the end of the film :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Finally got round to seeing it. Really loved it. Much better than I expected. I think the trailers mis-sell it as a comedy. There are funny bits but so much more.

Brilliant.
  • Options
    Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    Saw this wonderful film this afternoon. Highly recommended.

Love Alan Bennett. :)
  • Options
    blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just got back from seeing this. Enjoyable and fairly interesting.

I felt that the 'meta' elements helped it from sinking too deeply into cliche/melodrama - Bennett 'lampshading' his own narrative embellishment was a nice touch. Also I thought that it did make a fairly important comment about our approach to poverty. Miss Shepherd did her best to exploit the kindness shown to her without giving anything back - in today's climate she would be seen very much as one of the 'undeserving poor'. Yet the film generates sympathy for her without resorting to cheap tactics; well largely, the piano stuff is borderline.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A bit late, but Maggie Smith won the Evening Standard Award for this film just under a week ago. Thrilled.
  • Options
    Castle SaburacCastle Saburac Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Finally got round to seeing it. Really loved it. Much better than I expected. I think the trailers mis-sell it as a comedy. There are funny bits but so much more.

Brilliant.

I think you're right. I expected it to be more of a straightforward comedy, but it's a drama with a few comedic moments, some of them quite dark. Jim Broadbent's character seemed like a bit of an afterthought. Still, I enjoyed it a lot.
  • Options
    Stephen_MillerStephen_Miller Posts: 192
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyable, some really funny moments as well as emotional.

I have the book too