HDMI confusion

I have a strange problem regarding HDMI quality on my tv.

I have an LG55LM760T. It has 4 HDMI ports on it and a VM TiVo plus a sky HD box connected.

If I plug either the sky or VM box into HDMI 1 the picture quality is good. However, if I plug into HDMI 2/3/4 the quality is even better. Much crisper and the colours are more vivid.

I have changed the HDMI cable - same result.

The picture settings are the same for all 4 inputs and I have verified these as they are my own which I set up when I got the TV.

Can anybody shed any light on the issue I have?

Thanks.

Comments

• degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I'm no expert but could it simply be a faulty HDMI port?

If it's under warranty you could get it looked at. If you're not overly bothered then just use the other 3 ports.

Not sure if your tv supports it but on some you can disable inputs so they're not listed or greyed out and easily skipped over when choosing an input. That's just for convenience.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,505
    Forum Member
    sps1013 wrote: »
    The picture settings are the same for all 4 inputs
    You mean they read the same in the settings? Or have you properly calibrated each input individually?
  • sps1013sps1013 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    You mean they read the same in the settings? Or have you properly calibrated each input individually?

I calibrated each input individually after spotting the discrepancies.

Each input has the exact same settings from brightness thru tint to gamma etc.

Can't work it out.
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I calibrated each input individually after spotting the discrepancies.

Each input has the exact same settings from brightness thru tint to gamma etc.

Can't work it out.

And can you not change the settings on HDMI 1 to bring the vibrancy etc up to the levels of the others?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emptybox wrote: »
    And can you not change the settings on HDMI 1 to bring the vibrancy etc up to the levels of the others?

I can alter the settings to bring into line with the other 3 but the exact same settings on all 4 ports should produce the same results?

It doesn't explain why port 1 is different to the other 3.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can alter the settings to bring into line with the other 3 but the exact same settings on all 4 ports should produce the same results?

It doesn't explain why port 1 is different to the other 3.
    There has to be some setting you've missed that is not the same between HDMI 1 and the rest. I would doubt LG use four separate DSP stages to do the picture settings individually for each input, plus of course other DSP stages for all the other sources.

More likely it's the same DSP stage for all inputs and just stores the settings for each input separately. So there must be some setting that is different on HDMI 1.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have reset the tv to an out the box state.

Have sat and inputted my calibrated settings in to each input. Have then got my son to check the inputs.

All the same - hdmi 1 still different.
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    You have probably already done this but have you updated the TV firmware to the latest version and have you turned off the picture enhancing features such as motion processing?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firmware is on latest version and the settings on all 4 hdmi ports are identical.

Motion processing is off. On doesn't make any difference either, input 1 still different.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    Is HDMI1 negotiating the same resolution as the others?

Some TVs can look quite washed out on signals where the set is having to upscale.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it is negotiating the same resolution.