Advice on buying new television

Hey,

Would appreciate some advice on purchasing a new televison. Don't know too much about the technical side of things when it comes to TVs so would appreciate a pointer towards the best deals without too much of a compromise on specifications.

Budget of up to about £500ish and around a size of 40". Good quality TV and also sound as I hear its quite easy to get a good picture quality but terrible sound. Not too bothered about 3D. Although, smart TVs appeal to me, but not necessarily bothered about that but don't want to have to link up my laptop to TV all the time for watching catch up (2 reasons: hassle and my laptop has a slight issue when displaying via HDMI on an external display). So whether it be a smart TV or an alternative method of being able to get Iplayer, 4OD, itv player etc on my TV easily please suggest, without having to compromise on picture/sound quality etc.

Not really too sure what the best kind of thing to go for is!

Thanks.

Comments

• GeneratorGenerator Posts: 203
    Forum Member
    Also if someone could explain the difference between types of TV (Plasma, LED, LCD etc) and what is the best bang for your buck? thanks
  • AlanOAlanO Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Generator wrote: »
    Also if someone could explain the difference between types of TV (Plasma, LED, LCD etc) and what is the best bang for your buck? thanks

OK - let's try to clear up the types:

You have LCD and Plasma.

LCD has two types of 'backlighting' LED and CCFL.

Plasma is a different technology.

Which is best is down to personal opinion - probably best to go and look at a few sets and make your own decision.

I'd recommend a Panasonic or Samsung as first choices.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So called "smart" features are very limited in what they offer, and also vary from one make/model to another. Its not like having a PC built in. More like a few mobile phone apps. You may not even be able to add new apps etc (depending on make/model). Just so you know.

In order to view HD channels on Freeview (via an aerial) you will need to look for a tv with the FreeviewHD logo (rather than the plain Freeview logo).
    "Full HD" refers ONLY to the resolution of the screen, and has nothing to do with it being a FreeviewHD set. Sets marked "HD Ready" have a lower screen resolution, but will still work on the UK standard of 1080i (via whatever source of HD you have). "HD Ready" sets can also include FreeviewHD built in.
    Ofcourse, you don't have to rely on FreeviewHD being built in. You can add a set top box of your choice, be it FreeviewHD, FreesatHD, SkyHD, or a CableHD box. Likewise you can plug in a BluRay player, for HD on BluRay discs. The only things to remember with external devices is you need to connect them with HDMI cables (not scart-which doesn't do HD). And, when connected up, set each device to whatever HD setting you want - Some devices have a auto setup wizard, while some don't - and these may default to SD 576i. Take care when choosing such a setting as there is likely to be 1080p option as well as a 1080i option - not all TV's support 1080p pictures (screen will go black). Look for the 1080p logo on the tv before buying.
    Scart connections are fast being replaced by HDMI for obvious reasons, so a lot of new TV's only have 1 scart port, or maybe even 1 custom scart port (a sort of mini scart that looks a bit like a HDMI - but isn't).

Summary

HD Ready or Full HD
    1080p
    Built in FreeviewHD (or not)
    number of HDMI ports (the more the better)
    Scart ports or custom scart port (for older equipment)
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just to point out that Full HD 1080p sets are nowadays quite often labelled as 'HD Ready 1080p', but the two terms must be together in the label to be sure it has 1920 x 1080 screen resolution.
    If it just says 'HD Ready' then the resolution will be lower.

In the future, with higher resolutions coming out, 1920 x 1080 TVs are likely to be labelled '2k', just to keep the customer on his toes. :D
    Forum Member
    http://www.richersounds.com/product/tv---all/samsung/ue40f5500/sams-ue40f5500

What do people make of this TV at this price? What would be the pitfalls and benefits of this set? Samsung smart hub seems like a good thing, but in terms of picture/sound quality and anything else I should think about does this one hold its own? Also good value for money or any better suggestions? Also one question: if I have blu-ray or HD quality video files and put them on a memory stick and plug that in would it be the same quality as watching through a blu-ray player via HDMI?

Thanks for any input.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes but Richersounds price includes a 5 year guarantee.
    The equivalent of £10/year may be worth it for peace of mind

A 5 year guarantee from RGB, should you require, it is:
    5 Year D&G Warranty +£175
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    Consider 46 " as well
  • xp95xp95 Posts: 2,439
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A word of advice even if you aren't particularly interested in watching HD channels: Do not buy any TV set which doesn't have the Freeview HD logo!
    Forum Member
    Thanks for advice on the guarantee, will be that in mind.

Why the 46"? I think that maybe my room is too small, just a small kitchen/lounge area in a 1 bed flat.

And I do believe the TV I linked has the Freeview HD logo - could people offer some more advice on this particular TV? Just over £450 with 5 year guarantee? Any better suggestions, especially for value for money for a similar TV. The Smart hub appeals to me quite a lot, catch up TV quite important without having to plug laptop in. But how about the TV in terms of picture and sound -will this TV disappoint? Had some other questions regarding HD/blu ray in earlier post also.

Thanks for advice everyone!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    I think Samsung is a good choice
    Forum Member
    Hoping to buy this tomorrow. Others think this is a good deal? Or any better suggestions? Also could someone clarify my question about picture quality via USB compared to blu ray with blu ray quality files? Thanks.
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hoping to buy this tomorrow. Others think this is a good deal? Or any better suggestions? Also could someone clarify my question about picture quality via USB compared to blu ray with blu ray quality files? Thanks.
    If the file on the USB stick is an exact digital copy of the Blu-Ray then it won't look any different.

However if it has been converted to a different file format or been converted to a lower bitrate to reduce the file size then it might look different depending on what processing has been applied.

It's all digital. There is nothing about a Blu-Ray disk that makes it's pattern of ones and zeros more "special" than the identical pattern of ones and zeros on a USB stick. If the data is identical on the two media then the results on screen should be identical.
    Forum Member
    Ok thanks for that. And, finally, would people be disappointed with this TV for its price in terms of viewing experience etc? Any major pitfalls ? Or all seems good :) thanks! Don't like to make a hasty purchase
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ok thanks for that. And, finally, would people be disappointed with this TV for its price in terms of viewing experience etc? Any major pitfalls ? Or all seems good :) thanks! Don't like to make a hasty purchase
    £469 looks a good price, especially with the 5-year warranty.

You can't go wrong with Samsung really.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    You can't go wrong with Samsung really.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p
  • call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    For the same price I'd rather buy that TV from John Lewis, they also has a 5 year guarantee and free home delivery..;)
    Forum Member
    Thanks a lot people! Was gonna buy tomorrow but last min dilemma after talking to ppl and looking online but not sure whether to get 3d version? Seems like the same model available in 3d for a bit more. What you guys think?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks a lot people! Was gonna buy tomorrow but last min dilemma after talking to ppl and looking online but not sure whether to get 3d version? Seems like the same model available in 3d for a bit more. What you guys think?
    And you will be heeding the Freeview HD logo advice, right? ;)
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just bought a Samsung UE46F6500 3D Smart TV and it is very good indeed.

To get the benefit of this TV though you need to wire it to an external Home Cinema system using an optical lead because the internal speakers, although they are alright, don't really expand the sound into surround.

Picture clarity is stunning, with loads of applications being provided. I use Lovefilm on this to stream and it works fine.

And the cost? £674 bought online.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »

To get the benefit of this TV though you need to wire it to an external Home Cinema system using an optical lead because the internal speakers, although they are alright, don't really expand the sound into surround.

Picture clarity is stunning, with loads of applications being provided. I use Lovefilm on this to stream and it works fine.

What a great deal. :)
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    A word of advice even if you aren't particularly interested in watching HD channels: Do not buy any TV set which doesn't have the Freeview HD logo!

Only relevant if the OP intends to watch Freeview (HD or otherwise). I've got three high definition Freeview tellies - don't think I've ever watched Freeview on any of them since the day I bought them. To pay extra for a high definition terrestrial tuner - and then never ever watch terrestrial television - is just stupid.
  • David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ditto the above post.

FreeviewHD built into the tv is not an issue for many people, but is for some people.

Just depends on if you want to display FreeviewHD channels on the screen now, or in the future (eg, give up sky at some point or sky develops a problem for a while) without the aid of an external box. You can always add a FreeviewHD box of your choice later anyway, just as you can plug in a SkyHD, CableHD box. The tv doesn't "know" that you have a FreeviewHD box + a SkyHD box plugged in.....I have just been through this with a friend who thought the tv wouldn't allow both boxes to be connected at the same time.
    Don't give todays technology too much credit - it isn't that good yet,
    Clearly some people will be better of with a tv that has FreeviewHD built in - standalone installations - those with no external box of any kind. And other than those that choose this option, there are quite a few situations which send people down this route - eg, people in old folks homes, smaller hotels, etc.

Edit note.....assuming you do or may at some point want to use built in freeview, then a tv with FreeviewHD in built has another advantage - HD channels use more capacity than SD ones, and so more effective compression was invented to get the extra quality of HD channels to take less space. Now, a quirk of this is that you can also put SD channels on that same compression system, meaning they too can be maintained at similar quality to now but using a lot less capacity - therefore its likely that at some point in the future (we don't know when) a switchover from the current Freeview to FreeviewHD will happen - even though some of the channels on the FreeviewHD stream will still be SD quality (just benefitting from the better compression, thus making more space for more channels - a clear motive for broadcasters to make the move). My bet is we wont hear anything about such a move until after the next general election - but that could still be in the life span of the tv which you are about to buy. But even so, even with only Freeview built in, theres nothing stopping you adding a FreeviewHD box to do the same thing.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrGiles2 wrote: »

Yeah. Similar thought process. I just got a samsung 46EH6030 from argos for 415, although its more now. Not a smart tv, bit ot is 3D and active glasses rather than passive, but great for the money.

Having had this, i would not go smaller than 46 now.
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    xp95 wrote: »
    And you will be heeding the Freeview HD logo advice, right? ;)
    Not everyone can get Freeview. We haven't had an aerial signal where I live for going on 10 years and there is no prospect -so it's satellite or nothing. Meanwhile - with 'built in Freeview' standard in so many sets, it pains me that I'm paying for technology I can't use.:mad: