Cancelling a mobile phone contract with Orange

Koopa_CoffeeKoopa_Coffee Posts: 4
Forum Member
Hello all, I'm hoping that someone can give me the best possible advice for my current situation.

I took out a 24 month mobile phone contract with Orange for the Blackberry Bold 9700 in January 2010 so there are 6 months remaining on the contract. At the time I didn't take out insuarance (not the greatest idea but I've always been careful with my possessions)

This morning I noticed that the screen has completely died - only showing a white screen and a black ink spot rendering the phone useless.

Orange will not give me a replacement as apparently this damage is not under Manufacturers warranty even though I have not applied any external pressure to the phone and the clerk in the store said it was in very good shape considering I've had it for 18 months notwithstanding the damaged screen.

So now I'm in the unenviable position of having no mobile phone but still having to pay £30 a month for the privelige of possessing an unusable phone.

I do not really wish to take out another contract with another network as I cannot afford £60+ a month for 2 mobile phones (one being unusable).

Is it possible that I can cancel my contract with Orange (I don't mind paying an amount upfront to do this provided it's not stupid money) so I can then get a new phone with a new network provider (obviously I'll be mindful to take insuarance out considering Orange's behaviour).

A cheap throwaway on PAYG is not really an acceptable solution as I would easily bypass the amount I pay a month on contract (indeed it was one of the reasons I got a contract phone in the first place).

Many thanks in your advance for your advice.

:)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Why can't you get a unlocked phone from carphone warehouse, that is sim-free, and put your contract sim in it for 6months?

Then you have your usual allowance, and your same number etc.
  • big bro geekbig bro geek Posts: 18,268
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You'll have to pay the rest of your contract to cancel so 6 months equates to 180 quid.

Can you not just buy a cheap phone for the next month or so and switch sims.

Orange will contact you with about 3 months to go offering you an upgrade so you can get an even better phone than you now have at that point
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Manufacturers warranty only lasts 12 months thats why Orange won't help you.

If you call Orange they will let you cancel, but you'll have to pay the remainder of your contract (£30 x 6 months = £180.00)
  • Koopa_CoffeeKoopa_Coffee Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    Ok so to confirm I can purchase a new phone without a sim card and insert the current sim I'm using in my blackberry into this new phone and I'll be on the same tariff that I currently have the moment?

If so that might be a decent solution...
  • GlomperGlomper Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ask for an upgrade, Orange do this a few months before contract end.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. Unless you buy another Blackberry, you won't have any internet on the new handset.

Edit - you will still have the same amount of minutes/texts
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glomper wrote: »
    Ask for an upgrade, Orange do this a few months before contract end.

Only 3 months before the end of the contract date, the OP is 6 months until the end of his
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    Ok so to confirm I can purchase a new phone without a sim card and insert the current sim I'm using in my blackberry into this new phone and I'll be on the same tariff that I currently have the moment?

If so that might be a decent solution...

Yeah, go to carphone warehouse, they are all unlocked, so you can put your Orange sim-card in.

Now, sim-free phones are more expensive, so you may as well buy a cheap one on orange, which you have to top-up £10, then remove that sim-card and insert your own. Easy peasy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I'd get a cheap orange phone to use for 3 months (maybe even lower your tariff each month) then buy your contract out, or go to phones 4u and they might buy your contract out but you'll have to get another contract with them out at the same time.
  • jde-tvjde-tv Posts: 4,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ye like everyone else has said, u only have a 12th month warranty! Its nothing to do with orange, and u cant cancel your contract... the best thing to do would be to buy a cheap payg for £10 or something! Or go to phones 4 u and see if they will buy out the rest of your contract.
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or claim on your house contents insurance for the phone as accidental damage and loss is usually covered.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    Or you could look on ebay for a cheap phone
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,803
    Forum Member
    No point paying off your contract (£180) when you can pick up a half decent phone for under £100. Just buy a cheapish phone and stick your sim in, will at least tie you over.

How about a blackberry curve? Perhaps not as good as your current phone but from the same family if you prefer to stick with a blackberry, you can buy one brand new for £100.

Or what about the Orange San Francisco android phone, have heard some great things about this phone in it's price bracket (about £75).

Obviously being an orange sim you would have to make sure you buy an orange phone or one that's unlocked.

Edit: Or of course can buy something even cheaper if it's just to tie you over if it's only for 3 months and you can get a "free" upgrade.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,506
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another option is to go to Phones4U.

If you take on a new contract with them and hand in your mobile phone (doesn't matter that it's broken, as long as the battery works if I remember correctly..) then they will give you cash to put towards buying out of your current contract, as well as starting a new one for you.

For instance,
    I wanted to upgrade with O2 but I still had 11 months left on my contract. I chose a new HTC Desire S on Orange and was given a £30 pm contract and around £130 cash (into my bank) for my old phone to use as I wished (most sensible option - use to pay off old contract).

I didn't even give them my decent phone, as I couldn't transfer all my photos etc over via bluetooth in the store at the time.
    So I popped back home, found the most awful pay as you go spare mobile in my house and then handed that it.
    I would have got more cash from them if I had picked a cheaper mobile. So it depends on what you go for really.

Afterwards, I contacted 02 to tell them that I wanted to pay off my contract. Explained the situation. Now instead of doing so, I instead reduced my O2 contract to £15 pm and have gave this to my brother to use, with my mum paying me the tariff for it each month.
    So I then had the cash to use as I wish. Of course, my suggestion to you would be clear off your old tarrif.

I hope that made sense. It's a fair bit to read through. It's an alternative to just putting your old sim in a pay as you go (which I originally had planned on doing too). Gives you a new phone and a new contract right away.

(p.s. Other phone shops may offer cash too, I'm not sure. I just know that Phones4U definitely do).