Horizontal lines on a plasma at 1080i

Hello all

I have a Hitachi PD 9700 and have started to have some problems with it recently (horizontal lines on the screen) and originally thought it was my PS3 and the ground loop problem that so many have mentioned. Investigation has uncovered that it is my TV as I am now seeing the same lines on other HD sources which are HD DVD player and sky HD box.

The problem is horizontal lines equally spaced around 1-2cm apart up the screen and the problem only occurs on a 1080i HD signal and disappears on 720p. The TV also has an additional menu setting for hdmi feeds which is full 1 and full 2 (I only found these in the last 2 weeks) The TV defaults to full 1 but when full 2 is selected the problem also disappears and the picture is fine. I am assuming either a de-interlacing or scaling problem but am no expert. The TV cannot be set permanently on full 2.

I had an engineer out this week and he saw the problem immediately but had no idea what it was or what would be involved to fix it. He said he wanted to take the TV away to run some tests when I asked how long it would be gone he said 14 working days maybe more at which point I said I had no other TV to use and would have to think about it. I have had TV's go in for repair before and know only too well how 3 weeks can turn into 7 or 8 very easily. They were not willing to give me a loan set and I contacted Hitachi who have been pretty useless really and just said sorry no loan set, I said that for a known fault and established repair time no problem but for some open ended diagnosis like this I did not think it was unreasonable to want a loan set, I also asked if he could get some internal tech support as the symptoms and more importantly the actions that remove the problem would probably give an expert some sort of idea as to what was wrong. I could be wrong but I get the impression that Hitachi have no internal tech support and reply totally on 3rd parties as he blackballed this one straight away.

Are there any other Hitachi PD9700 /ALIS plasmaowners or even another plasma owner who have seen a problem like this before? The warranty runs out in March and I may be crazy but I am weighing up living with it over losing the TV for an extended period. All I am really looking for is an indication as to what the problem is or could be.

Thanks

Neil