Showbiz wigs: Wogan, Forsythe, Blackburn......

Comments

• shaneyshaneyshaneyshaney Posts: 3,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find it hard to believe that with all the tv shows, and especially live stuff, even outside broadcasts that there has never been a case of someone like Wogan or Brucie or Blackburn where their wig has come off or even shifted a little. Im under no doubt that they all do wear wigs, but it just seems strange that its never happened.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They obviously use good glue!;)
    Actually, I have to say, I don't blame guys who go for transplants or other hair growth treatment - as someone said earlier, that's not much different to women who have extensions, surely?
    But wigs??? They must be more trouble than they're worth, surely:confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blanche from Corrie's wig is a shocker!
  • Dr QuincyDr Quincy Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know why but Ive always thought it would be really funny if someone such as Wogan had their wig blown off by a sudden gust of wind live on TV!! Or a guest could pull it off! :D

Did anyone see THE PAUL O'GRADY SHOW on Friday? Dame Diana Rigg tackled Sir terrance on his hair. She said it looked like a home made/home done job and it looked awful! It wasn't removed, but he didn't say it was a syrup. He joked about using one of those razors. Slightly uncomfortable.
  • M. TouretteM. Tourette Posts: 6,967
    Forum Member
    Blanche from Corrie's wig is a shocker!

All the wigs on Corrie are pretty dreadful

Hayley Croppers
    Audrey Roberts
    Gail Platts
    Leanne Battersbys

I think Eileen Grimshaw has now got a rug as well

It just means that the actress can change their hair colour or style and the character stays the same so continuity is not ruined and they don't have to be in make up as long as everyone else.

The best (I mean so bad its funny) wig is the husband in Titanic especially when he is fighting with Kate Winslett the wig moves forwards and backwards between takes so much that sometimes his forehead is an inch high the next it's the size of the eiffel tower!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you know, I love Terry Wogan, and I am aware of the wig thing. But everytime I see him in an audience situation like say "Children In Need" I am on tenterhooks because I am always convinced someone is going to stand up and whip it off. The same when he was on "Buzzcocks" I was convinced someone was going to say "All right Terry keep your hair on - I mean wig" My mate says he is too respected for that to happen. But all it takes is some p*ssed up fool in the audience or a showbiz person high on coke! to do it live - Oh I shall have to have a drink now!!!:D

On The PAUL O'GRADY SHOW Diana Rigg asked him what the hole was at the back and got him to turn the back of his head to the camera. He said it was 'a bullet hole' and smirked. She did mention earlier before he came on that she was very direct! No kidding!

She simply blurted out "Who cut your hair?" To which O'Grady quipped "A butchers on the Old Kent Road!".
  • 2Legit2Quit2Legit2Quit Posts: 4,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I missed that, I bet there were a few nervous faces behind the scenes. :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    I was cringing during POG, and was thinking about this thread. Can anyone send Diana Rigg a personal invite, so she can come on here and discuss Tel's syrup. :D:D She saw it close up, and couldn't believe how bad it was!

I was amazed she brought it up though !!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have to hand it to Wogan, even though we all know it's a wig he still insists on having a tiny bald patch at the back to make it look authentic. :D
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr Quincy wrote: »
    On The PAUL O'GRADY SHOW Diana Rigg asked him what the hole was at the back and got him to turn the back of his head to the camera. He said it was 'a bullet hole' and smirked. She did mention earlier before he came on that she was very direct! No kidding!

She simply blurted out "Who cut your hair?" To which O'Grady quipped "A butchers on the Old Kent Road!".

:D:D:D Classic.

You have to commend him for at least trying to make it look realistic. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    You have to hand it to Wogan, even though we all know it's a wig he still insists on having a tiny bald patch at the back to make it look authentic. :D

Do wiggies have to carry out hairpiece maintenance :confused::rolleyes:

Tel could do with getting a bit of copydex and collecting the fluff out of his bellybutton for a week, that should patch up any holes for a bit :D:D
  • skinrayskinray Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned two of the worst syrup wearers, Elton John and Charlton Heston. Heston's was particularly naff, a nasty ginger thing that seemed to have a life of it's own. Frank Sinatra also wore wigs for years, as does William Shatner, although his latest syrups have improved on those early plastic looking horrors that he used to wear when playing Captain Kirk.
    I am glad that I was never tempted, even though it was a blow when my hair started thinning in my early 20's. The best decision that I ever made was to shave the lot off ten years ago. it has also saved me a fortune in haircuts, as well as making me feel rejuvenated, as there are so many much younger guys than me with shaved heads these days.
  • PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dr Quincy wrote: »
    Did anyone see THE PAUL O'GRADY SHOW on Friday? Dame Diana Rigg tackled Sir terrance on his hair. She said it looked like a home made/home done job and it looked awful! It wasn't removed, but he didn't say it was a syrup. He joked about using one of those razors. Slightly uncomfortable.
    Nasty behaviour from this elderly "actress".

I remember a wizened Diana Rigg being on the front cover of a TV mag in 1989. I kept the magazine face down for a week.

Whatever you think about Terry's hair, it looks more realistic than some people's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Rigg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nasty behaviour from this elderly "actress".

I remember a wizened Diana Rigg being on the front cover of a TV mag in 1989. I kept the magazine face down for a week.

Whatever you think about Terry's hair, it looks more realistic than some people's:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_Rigg

:D:D

I don't blame you. It's enough to frighten the horses. :eek::D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skinray wrote: »
    I am surprised that nobody has mentioned two of the worst syrup wearers, Elton John and Charlton Heston. Heston's was particularly naff, a nasty ginger thing that seemed to have a life of it's own. Frank Sinatra also wore wigs for years, as does William Shatner, although his latest syrups have improved on those early plastic looking horrors that he used to wear when playing Captain Kirk.
    I am glad that I was never tempted, even though it was a blow when my hair started thinning in my early 20's. The best decision that I ever made was to shave the lot off ten years ago. it has also saved me a fortune in haircuts, as well as making me feel rejuvenated, as there are so many much younger guys than me with shaved heads these days.

I would have added Jack Klugman to that list but thankfully he isn't bothered about exposing his slap head these days:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/ustv/a92667/quincy-star-sues-nbc-over-profits.html
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some of these rugs really are hideously cheap-looking - with all their cash you'd think these celebs could find something better than that....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,053
    Forum Member
    Frankie Howard's toupee was a completely different colour from the rest of his hair :D

Ted Danson wore a wig throughout Cheers and looking at him now, without it, he really should have kept it on.
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    Some of these rugs really are hideously cheap-looking - with all their cash you'd think these celebs could find something better than that....

Wogan being the worst offender with his 1 grey/white sideburn & 1 normal colour
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Bob Monkhouse wear a wig? I saw a poster ad campaign about a month ago with a photo of him on it and his hair definitely didn't look real. :confused:
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did Bob Monkhouse wear a wig? I saw a poster ad campaign about a month ago with a photo of him on it and his hair definitely didn't look real. :confused:

afaik "Sir Bob" didnt
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found this Daily Mail interview with Wogan, here's a quote from him...

'Asked whether he wears a wig, the Irishman replied: "All I'll say is, if you do wear a wig are you going to tell anybody about it? What would be the point of me having one if I was going to tell you?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many famous women tend to use weaves or wigsall the time like Beyonce, Tina Turner, Joan Collins, Rachel Welch, Iman, Naomi Campbell, Kate Beckinsale, Liz Hurley etc. Weaves can cause bald patches though as they pull on the natural hair underneath and cause it to break. At least men have the option of shaving their hair off and being accepted whereas if a woman does that she is regarded as being literally insane like Britney Spears.
  • ikkleosuikkleosu Posts: 11,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ted Danson wore a wig throughout Cheers and looking at him now, without it, he really should have kept it on.

LOL. He had to wear a wig as it was part of the character of Sam. I seem to recall the episode where Sam revealed he wore a toupee!

Ted is living proof that not all men get better looking with age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wogan being the worst offender with his 1 grey/white sideburn & 1 normal colour

"Authenticity" is the key - unless it makes you look like a tie-dyed badger. :sleep::D