Options

Does anyone still call Gail from Corrie Gail Potter?

chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
Forum Member
I know many still prefer to call her Gail Platt although she is now a Rodwell but does anyone still call her Gail Potter?

Comments

• Options
    sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    It is weird with old character names. I was watching Corrie recently with an elderly relative who hadn't seen it since the mid-sixties and she was absolutely gobsmacked that 'Miss Nugent' was still in the show. She recognised her instantly as well.
  • Options
    rob_bangorrob_bangor Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still call her gail platt. on saying that I still say rita fairclough and betty turpin
  • Options
    kitkat1971kitkat1971 Posts: 39,257
    Forum Member
    I know many still prefer to call her Gail Platt although she is now a Rodwell but does anyone still call her Gail Potter?

I've never really heard anybody do it, any more than people refer to Deardre as Hunt or Rita as Littlewood.

I think it tends to be the name that the character has had the longest, or perhaps the one they had when you first started watching that sticks. So to me Gail started as a Tilsley (I started watching soon after they married) and then adjusted to Platt which is the one she had the longest I think.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's best known as Gail
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wikipedia have her as Gaily McIntyre which I find the oddest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Something not true on Wikipedia that's a first..
  • Options
    attitude99attitude99 Posts: 14,848
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still call her Gail Platt, McIntyres just wrong.

It's like Dot in EastEnders, she's Dot Branning but lots of people still refer to her as Dot Cotton.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    attitude99 wrote: »
    I still call her Gail Platt, McIntyres just wrong.

It's like Dot in EastEnders, she's Dot Branning but lots of people still refer to her as Dot Cotton.

Pat Butcher as well
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a character is married, I use their married name even if they don't use it. If a character is divorced, then I revert to their maiden names. If a character is widowed, I use their widowed name: Emily Swain, Rita Sullivan, Sally Seddon, Liz Greenwood, Fiz Stape and Carla Barlow (they aren't divorced yet; before that I used Gordon).
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail Potter And The Deathly Husbands
  • Options
    firefly_irlfirefly_irl Posts: 4,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Carla is the least likely woman to keep changing her name upon marriage I've no idea why they always have her do it.
  • Options
    notdebbiedinglenotdebbiedingle Posts: 45,817
    Forum Member
    If a character is married, I use their married name even if they don't use it. If a character is divorced, then I revert to their maiden names. If a character is widowed, I use their widowed name: Emily Swain, Rita Sullivan, Sally Seddon, Liz Greenwood, Fiz Stape and Carla Barlow (they aren't divorced yet; before that I used Gordon).

To the best of my memories Emily was never officially married to Arnold Swain as he was already married!! Anyone want to confim or deny that for me please!!
  • Options
    Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    I didn't even know she was ever called Gail Potter :blush:
  • Options
    Amazee-DayzeeAmazee-Dayzee Posts: 1,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To the best of my memories Emily was never officially married to Arnold Swain as he was already married!! Anyone want to confim or deny that for me please!!

Yeah he was though I often wondered if she considered herself married to him before the truth was discovered.
  • Options
    sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone knows who Gail is....if you had to mention anyone of her surnames I think it would confuse a lot of people.:o
  • Options
    davadsdavads Posts: 8,643
    Forum Member

I have a vague recollection she was Emily Swain on screen for a while when she was married. Whether she reverted to Bishop because the marriage was proven invalid or simply through choice I'm not sure.

Going slightly off topic onto Corrie surnames generally, I do think they're very unmemorable these days; almost like an afterthought. Gone are the days of the almost Dickensian-sounding Tatlock, Ogden, Duckworth etc. (Doesn't legend have it that Tony Warren got inspiration for the original names from local gravestones?)

Who knows nowadays that it's Callum Logan, Steph Britton, Andy Carver etc...?
  • Options
    barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    I always call her Gail Platt. She has had so many surnames.
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pink_Smurf wrote: »
    I didn't even know she was ever called Gail Potter :blush:

It was her maiden name.
  • Options
    Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Why? That was her married name before she became Rodwell. Wiki just haven't updated it.

She's been Gail Potter/Tilsley/Tilsley/Platt/Hillman/McIntyre/Rodwell.

She must have a hell of a time changing her name on her bank account/passport/National Insurance and Tax records, e.t.c. Probably got all the forms ready for the next change.

The Wiki entry will depend on who she's married to (divorced from or widowed from or separated from) at the time. I expect there'll be a few more.
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gail, Deirdre and Rita are just Gail, Deirdre and Rita to me. No surnames required. But only those three characters.
  • Options
    Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if she does indeed hold the record for must surnames on soap, Platt is most memorable to me as it is the one I grew up with.
  • Options
    Lady VoldemortLady Voldemort Posts: 10,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I still often think of her as Gail Tilsley, as that is the first name I knew has as as a child.
  • Options
    KymberlyKymberly Posts: 763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably already been mentioned in other threads but did think it strange during the counselling session that she answered when the Counsellor addressed her as Mrs Platt. I guess it's her go to name(if and when her marriages fail)
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know Gail as that irritating, simpering, incredibly stupid harridan, who was quite pleasant when she was younger and living at Elsie Tanner's.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member

I don't think anyone's called her Gail Potter since she married Brian! And that was 35 years ago!

She'll always be Gail Platt to me, partly cos she was that when I last watched Corrie and I can't remember how many husbands she's had since Martin! lol The only one I know is Tricky Dicky.