Whats more likely to close down?

O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
Forum Member
✭✭
I work at Tesco and am looking for some newer opportunities and long term job security for a while,

As you might have read Tesco has been less busy this year, and am wondering if they decide that some stores should be closed down, which one would most likely be first to do so, Tesco Superstore or Extra?

Comments

• EastEast Posts: 926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The stores which make less money and could be either as this article explains.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-31023136
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I work at Tesco and am looking for some newer opportunities and long term job security for a while,

As you might have read Tesco has been less busy this year, and am wondering if they decide that some stores should be closed down, which one would most likely be first to do so, Tesco Superstore or Extra?

Tesco Extra the running costs staff, utilities etc are larger if the customers are no longer coming through the door in large enough quantities the stores will be unaffordable to be a viable option.

The large new Tesco Extra and Dobbies in East Kilbride which is a massive town was scrapped due to this.
  • Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tesco Extra the running costs staff, utilities etc are larger if the customers are no longer coming through the door in large enough quantities the stores will be unaffordable to be a viable option.

The large new Tesco Extra and Dobbies in East Kilbride which is a massive town was scrapped due to this.

I could understand the Dobbies part. Having a garden centre in Scotland would be like having a shop selling thermals in the Sahara!

I'm JOKING! ...... I got sunburnt once in Berwick, which is almost on the same latitude as EK. :)
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the original Extra stores is that they had a lot of space for selling TV, washing machines etc - items which take up a lot of floor space, that people don't buy very often and now just order online. The one near me are now shifting to more space for clothing and in-store cafes which make much more money per square foot.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    I could understand the Dobbies part. Having a garden centre in Scotland would be like having a shop selling thermals in the Sahara!

I'm JOKING! ...... I got sunburnt once in Berwick, which is almost on the same latitude as EK. :)

I agree with you this summer (if you can call it that) has been terrible I think we have had two sunny days in total. It's just constant grey dull sky. My grass still grows constantly though for some reason.

There isn't many Dobbies up here actually or garden centres. East Kilbride badly needs a Tesco it must be the only large town in the UK without both an Asda and a Tesco. Asda has pulled out of a large new store where I live due to poor market conditions like Tesco.
    I have two Co-ops near me which are both getting busier people don't seem to mind being ripped off. I don't buy food from them after finding MUD in my potato salad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LostFool wrote: »
    The problem with the original Extra stores is that they had a lot of space for selling TV, washing machines etc - items which take up a lot of floor space, that people don't buy very often and now just order online. The one near me are now shifting to more space for clothing and in-store cafes which make much more money per square foot.

True it's amazing the shift in shopping culture you used to go mostly to comet or curry sauce for electrical goods/appliances now people buy online from places like ao.com because it is cheaper and less hassle.
  • O-JO-J Posts: 18,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I work at the Superstore one, would it be best if I stayed there for a while?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think I should stay at Superstore or move to Extra? Need opinions. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does anyone think I should stay at Superstore or move to Extra? Need opinions. :)

What position do you work at the superstore?

If your the trolley pusher then its a no brainer :D
  • HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How could we possibly have an opinion - seeing as we don't have ANY real context? :D:confused:
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be very surprised if there was any real differentiation at the corporate level between the two if they're not making enough money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay so I've been at tesco superstore for over a year now and want to move onto a extra store for better opportunities. By this thread I knew I wanted to do this and started thinking about it again.

Currently work as customer assistant.

Would it be better if I stayed in a small store or go to a bigger one.

Don't want to leave then the bigger one closes down.
  • Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay so I've been at tesco superstore for over a year now and want to move onto a extra store for better opportunities. By this thread I knew I wanted to do this and started thinking about it again.

Jesus, you started the thread 6 months ago and you're STILL asking this? :confused:
  • meadows76meadows76 Posts: 952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

What are the better opportunities?