Options

Another mass shooting in US, 40 taken hostage

13»

Comments

• Options
    fraserafrasera Posts: 8,271
    Forum Member
    The UK is safe because we don't allow any random nutjob to have a gun.:)

http://www.reason.com/news/show/28582.html
  • Options
    Burning BallsBurning Balls Posts: 4,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather be knifed than shot. Also a lot more difficult to commit mass murder with a knife.

Exactly true.

The relationship between gun crime and gun ownership is so obvious that even Frasera cannot ignore it.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_gun_vio_hom_ove_hom_rat_per_100_pop-rate-per-100-000-pop

Notice that all the countries with the highest level of gun crime are places where firearm ownership is legalised.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    simplistic correlation is meaningless. it even has mexico on that list which shows how rubbish it is, gun regulations are stricter in mexico than the us by a long shot. us has more guns than mexico by a long shot, so we should by your silly thinking should have more crime, but well your thinking breaks down rather quickly:P us= 90 guns per 100 people. mexico 15 guns per 100 people. mexicos crime/murder rate is ridiculous. the swiss have 46 guns per 100 people, so i guess its mass murder central compared to the uk huh?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The liberals in America loosened up the mental health laws to the point, it's hard to lock anyone up even those who are serious and dangerous nutjobs and all these mass shooters not only are that way, they say things and show signs beforehand that give some kind of indication they are going to snap completely. It's true, research the mental health laws currently in America. It's unbelievable.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The UK is safe because we don't allow any random nutjob to have a gun.:)
    Yep since they banned folk from having handguns in UK after Dunblane, gun crime practically vanished.....
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One thing that I have often seen said by gun owners during incidents like this is that the right to carry arms would help reduce incidents like this as people can defend themselves, yet I have never seen this happen.

Is it something to do with concealed weapon permits? (ie most gun owners can't carry guns around)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not sure the percentage but probably most guns in America...are owned illegally like the AK47 this guy used today to kill three cops...

http://kdka.com/local/officers.shot.Stanton.2.975820.html
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have remarked on this on a thread related to the Columbine shootings, there are signs almost always that something is wrong or terribly wrong with the person who ends up becoming a mass murderer! There are signs of mental illness, and their inability to cope with life. They may be quiet but people often hear them say things that they know are not right and so, while no one expects them to go on a shooting rampage, people need to start paying more attention to family, friends, and co-workers. Some of these tragedies could've absolutely been prevented with intervention although there was one at a college in Virginia where students had attempted to take their former room mate into mental health counseling and the psychiatric nurse saw nothing wrong with him and let him go even though he was threatening to kill himself and others. He ended up going on a shooting rampage in broad daylight at the school and killing several people. The mental health criteria and laws need to be looked at also in my opinion.

I see people who clearly needed help, and made outrageous statements and yet no one around them thinks it's abnormal because perhaps we have lost the whole notion of what abnormal truly is and some of us do not recognize the signs that can be subtle of serious mental health issues.

The right to bear arms is great but it should require a mental health evaluation and safety courses.
  • Options
    MinotaurMinotaur Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    I have remarked on this on a thread related to the Columbine shootings, there are signs almost always that something is wrong or terribly wrong with the person who ends up becoming a mass murderer! There are signs of mental illness, and their inability to cope with life. They may be quiet but people often hear them say things that they know are not right and so, while no one expects them to go on a shooting rampage, people need to start paying more attention to family, friends, and co-workers. Some of these tragedies could've absolutely been prevented with intervention although there was one at a college in Virginia where students had attempted to take their former room mate into mental health counseling and the psychiatric nurse saw nothing wrong with him and let him go even though he was threatening to kill himself and others. He ended up going on a shooting rampage in broad daylight at the school and killing several people. The mental health criteria and laws need to be looked at also in my opinion.

I see people who clearly needed help, and made outrageous statements and yet no one around them thinks it's abnormal because perhaps we have lost the whole notion of what abnormal truly is and some of us do not recognize the signs that can be subtle of serious mental health issues.

The right to bear arms is great but it should require a mental health evaluation and safety courses.

Eloquent and as understandable your sentiments may be; the truth is no amount of better insight by family, friends, neighbours etc would likely change the outcome of such tragedies, without it being part of something much more all encompassing by way of changes in things such as law, culture and attitudes

The number of people with mental health defects of a troubling nature, averse to aberant acts or otherwise unusal in some way, shape or form..far outweighs the actual number of such (thankfully rare) tragedies. It's true that many such incidents involve individuals with such traits in their characters..BUT..whilst your sentiment is noble and understandable, the realistic ability to impose any kind of legislation or procedure which would/could accurately identify and pre-empt the appropriate measures against the correct persons so as to eliminate the threat..is something that with the best will and intent in the world remains unrealistic in and of itself.

If the US wants to make inroads into these all too frequent tragedies, then it's time that they realised that the law allowing US citizens to own firearms (regardless of the legal red tape they need to do so) in many states, needs to be reviewed and ultimately rescinded.

In the short term at least, that may do little given the huge number of firearms already there and available. But unless you start someplace, you can never hope to begin to make inroads into this awful problem which has continued to appear on our screens with all too alarming regularity.

The above is only a starting point; hardly my 'idea' of a solution. Many many other factors would also need to be addressed in order to provide a long term deterrent, but I'm not out to write an essay tonight/this morning..:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    on the other hand falling back on profiling like practices to identify crackpots doesn't really work either. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/12/071112fa_fact_gladwell

you should know this from the london bombings and airport bombings. some were family men, working with children, had children, one was a doctor.... on and on
  • Options
    CheapthrillsCheapthrills Posts: 2,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    frasera wrote: »
    on the other hand falling back on profiling like practices to identify crackpots doesn't really work either. http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/11/12/071112fa_fact_gladwell

you should know this from the london bombings and airport bombings. some were family men, working with children, had children, one was a doctor.... on and on

'Family men' is media/political rhetoric, fact is they were part of a fanatical fringe that can be monitored and investigated, same goes with far right bombers like the London Nail bomber and the Oklahoma City bombings.

These sort of shootings are more about unstable people carrying out and formulating their plans in relative isolation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have never quite understood....the gun insanity in America and yes...that has to change drastically but that being said...not pertaining to terrorist attacks....the mass murderers recently in America to which the term going "postal" has been attributed are almost all male....and seemingly one day just snap......and go into a rage and American society is really much more violent than other societies.....it's engrained in the culture....

There is also this incredible denial of parents in America to acknowledge their children are not mentally fit for society.....they defend their child even if they are caught physically assaulting someone on YOUTUBE...

Verbal threats are meaningless anymore......people don't take them seriously or literally....to the extent of....the article I provided a link for today....a 22 year old man stating someone was going to die trying to take away his guns and he wasn't kidding as he shot three police officers in the head less than 24 hours ago....

I think Americans are oversaturated on violence to the point...many are numb to it....and oversaturated on angry and unstable people...

The answers lie in a complete change to the culture and the way America is impeding it's own growth....you may see it soon...
  • Options
    geoffSFgeoffSF Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So cryptic...
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    The relationship between gun crime and gun ownership is so obvious that even Frasera cannot ignore it.

True, but look at some other stats on that same site:

UK has almost twice the burglary rate as the US
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_bur_percap-crime-burglaries-per-capita

UK has higher car theft rate than the US
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita

UK is #1 for kidnappings.. congratulations!
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_kid-crime-kidnappings

UK has more robberies:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rob_percap-crime-robberies-per-capita

UK has more overall crime:
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_tot_cri_percap-crime-total-crimes-per-capita

Yes murder is horrible, but look at the actual stats.
    Homicide rate in the US: 0.0043%
    Homicide rate in the UK: 0.0014%
    Homicide rate in Canada: 0.0015%
    Homicide rate in Mexico: 0.0130%

Firearms are legal in Canada, yet it has almost the same homicide rate as the UK. Firearms are *restricted* in Mexico, yet it has a much higher homicide rate than the US. There is very little correlation between firearm legality and homicide rate.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kevo88 wrote: »
    My sympathies go to the families who have lost loved ones.

If there was ever a reason for gun control this is that reason.

Why Americans think they should have a right to have a gun is beyond me.

I know the constitution says so but that document was written over 200 years ago just after a war with the British
    . It is time to move on into the 21st century.

And it was written when it took you like 20 minutes to load a gun and that was just to make one shot :D