Options

Corrie is rapidly hitting crisis point

boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,439
Forum Member
✭✭
Back in 2001-2002, the show was in dire straits as ratings began to plummet in the face of EastEnders enjoying a golden period with massive storylines like Sharon's return, You Ain't My Muvva and Who Shot Phil? The warmth and humour in Corrie was a notable absence as it wrongly attempted to emulate their rival's grittiness, leading to a show that was a pale shadow of the one that viewers used to love and left them feeling alienated.

History has repeated itself.

Today we've seen reports that Anne Kirkbride, one of the show's longest serving and popular characters, is considering leaving her iconic role for good. This comes amidst reports that some of the cast members themselves are aghast at the lack of humour the show now has and Blackburn's lack of people skills with his cast. Furthermore, we've seen how disastrously the show has fared in the National Television Awards with only a single nomination. Tomorrow night we see the ailing soap air a much hyped stunt that appears to many to be a desperate attempt to claw back lost viewers.

Internet forums and social media has been awash with people deriding the quality of the show's output with hyped storylines like Tina's murder, Todd's attack and the Godawful racism plot from summer 2013 proving to be real damp squibs. Coupled with this, we've seen the show's ratings tumble at an alarming rate- the show hasn't hit 8m in the overnights so far this year.

In my opinion the show is currently at one of the lowest point in its history with ill-conceived storylines, inconsistent characterisation, falling viewership, negative backlash from both viewers and critics and terrible writing. When the hell are ITV actually going to take action here?!

Comments

• Options
    AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Back in 2001-2002, the show was in dire straits as ratings began to plummet in the face of EastEnders enjoying a golden period with massive storylines like Sharon's return, You Ain't My Muvva and Who Shot Phil? The warmth and humour in Corrie was a notable absence as it wrongly attempted to emulate their rival's grittiness, leading to a show that was a pale shadow of the one that viewers used to love and left them feeling alienated.

Today we've seen reports that Anne Kirkbride, one of the show's longest serving and popular characters, is considering leaving her iconic role for good. This comes amidst reports that some of the cast members themselves are aghast at the lack of humour the show now has and Blackburn's lack of people skills with his cast. Furthermore, we've seen how disastrously the show has fared in the National Television Awards with only a single nomination. Tomorrow night we see the ailing soap air a much hyped stunt that appears to many to be a desperate attempt to claw back lost viewers.

Internet forums and social media has been awash with people deriding the quality of the show's output with hyped storylines like Tina's murder, Todd's attack and the Godawful racism plot from summer 2013 proving to be real damp squibs. Coupled with this, we've seen the show's ratings tumble at an alarming rate- the show hasn't hit 8m in the overnights so far this year.

In my opinion the show is currently at one of the lowest point in its history with ill-conceived storylines, inconsistent characterisation, falling viewership, negative backlash from both viewers and critics and terrible writing. When the hell are ITV actually going to take action here?!

I agree 100%. ITV need to take action before there is more damage done. To loose stalwarts like Deirdre is aa disaster for a show that has always had continuity with long running characters. With older characters like and Emily and Rita till on board the show needs to keep Deirdre, Gail, Kevin and Sally at all costs.

Clearly there are major problems behind the scenes and it's been showing onscreen for ages. ITV need to take action now!
  • Options
    David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This comes amidst reports that some of the cast members themselves are aghast at the lack of humour the show now has and Blackburn's lack of people skills with his cast.

Link?

Digital Spy forum members always hate on Corrie, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AuntieSoap wrote: »
    I agree 100%. ITV need to take action before there is more damage done. To loose stalwarts like Deirdre is aa disaster for a show that has always had continuity with long running characters. With older characters like and Emily and Rita till on board the show needs to keep Deirdre, Gail, Kevin and Sally at all costs.

Clearly there are major problems behind the scenes and it's been showing onscreen for ages. ITV need to take action now!

Corrie's long-running stalwarts have always been one of the advantages that it had over soaps who have few characters who have served 25 years +. The older characters under Blakcburn, however, have been treated terribly. Dennis Tanner's exit and turning Rita into a cold hard faced harridan have been detrimental to the show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Link?

Digital Spy forum members always hate on Corrie, so I wouldn't draw any conclusions from it.

Apparently there's an article about it in today's Sunday Express.
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just read OP's post out loud to my other half who said' Are you sure it isn't you that's written that?'
    All the words correct and in the right order speaking sense |OP.
    I had the feeling that some of the actors knew SB was bad news and when Stephanie Cole left my suspicion grew. Over the year several have left. They are professional and give various reasons for leaving but I believe it's because of him ruining the show and they don't want to be part of such a failing, dire, gruesome,sleazy kitchen sink drama.
    Also note this SB...don't try to attempt humour beacuse you don't have any.
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could say it must be the way EE do those three storylines :D

sharon is back as Sharon not that wimpy awful mother she was pretending to be, we had a who shot phil and a you aint my mother type storyline with shirley and mick.

I would say the lack of decent storylines and the poor writing is corries problem and the consistancy is just way off, one good episode followed by 3/4 eps of complete filler drivel
  • Options
    soap-leasoap-lea Posts: 23,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just read OP's post out loud to my other half who said' Are you sure it isn't you that's written that?'
    All the words correct and in the right order speaking sense |OP.
    I had the feeling that some of the actors knew SB was bad news and when Stephanie Cole left my suspicion grew. Over the year several have left. They are professional and give various reasons for leaving but I believe it's because of him ruining the show and they don't want to be part of such a failing, dire, gruesome,sleazy kitchen sink drama.
    Also note this SB...don't try to attempt humour beacuse you don't have any.

SB doesnt actually write the lines?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inconsistency is a massive problem. We do get occasional bright spots- Beth and Kirk's wedding double bill was great entertainment but, as per, we were back to the usual twaddle the following Monday. It simply is not good enough.
  • Options
    JoshuaRyJoshuaRy Posts: 389
    Forum Member
    I'm actually really surprised at ITV's support for Stuart Blackburn. I don't think its hard to decipher that public opinion with the show is largely negative. I know a lot of people who are just watching at the moment because 'it is' Corrie. Other than that, theres no real reason to watch, what with poor storylines and character development.

The Muslim family are growing on me ever so slightly, but they still don't really fit at the moment.

I've said it before, but I really loved Phil Collinson and its a shame that his (In my opinion) good work has been left in tatters.
    I really hope ITV do something about it this year, in terms of replacing Blackburn. The direction of the show is just heading further south, and I think its clear - from the lack of NTA nominations, to declining viewers, that something IS NOT right.

EE could eclipse Corrie next month what with the Lucy murderer reveal and the aftermath of that. We shall see...
  • Options
    Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think recently it has been very obvious that they are trying to bring humour to the show - it used to not be so obvious. Like the whole chicken saga, and sofa-gate! However, Tim and Sally are brilliant so that was OK :D
  • Options
    Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But what to do? They need to have a cast clearout: too many characters like Sean who are just 'there' and too many awful, dull, uninteresting, irritating new ones like the Nazirs, Luke and Maddy just to name a few.

But.... given they can't manage to introduce decent new characters that we like, they can't afford to get rid of any of the deadwood either.

I can't believe I'm saying this but Mary, Roy, Carla, David and even Tony and Julie are carrying the show at the moment. It can't survive like that. Heaven help if Mary left.
  • Options
    MarcusjllMarcusjll Posts: 1,161
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If Dierdre leaves, I really don't think I could stay loyal to the show. She's an amazing character, and the show is drivel for the most part atm.
  • Options
    ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corrie has been going downhill for years. This Blackburn bloke has just made it far worse. He must be pinning his hopes on the bus crash to be a big success. The bus crash may be a big SL for Corrie but if it's full of improbable nonsense like Tina's murder and if it makes a mess of the Steve's depression SL by suddenly turning Steve and Michelle into love's young dream then he's going to be in the shite!

They should never have killed Tina. She could have returned in the future and Rob need never have left. Dimwits.

How are the ratings - high/dropping?
  • Options
    OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeez, how many more anti-Corrie threads do we need?:o If people don't like it, they don't have to flippin' watch it! (And don't start spouting the 'I'm just concerned cos I used to love it' line. Switch it the hell off and watch things you do like! At the very least, please add your opinion to one of the many other existing anti-Corrie threads and spare the rest of us your 'so important it needs its own thread' opinion.:kitty:

Oh and bear in mind during this latest 'crisis' that it is still one of the most watched shows on tv, (just as it has been for decades), hence the advertisers will be happy enough and theirs is the only opinion that matters to any commercial channel. :kitty:
  • Options
    Westy2Westy2 Posts: 14,525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonder how much off screen issues have affected things?
  • Options
    callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »
    Jeez, how many more anti-Corrie threads do we need?:o If people don't like it, they don't have to flippin' watch it! (And don't start spouting the 'I'm just concerned cos I used to love it' line. Switch it the hell off and watch things you do like! At the very least, please add your opinion to one of the many other existing anti-Corrie threads and spare the rest of us your 'so important it needs its own thread' opinion.:kitty:

Oh and bear in mind during this latest 'crisis' that it is still one of the most watched shows on tv, (just as it has been for decades), hence the advertisers will be happy enough and theirs is the only opinion that matters to any commercial channel. :kitty:

I do laugh when this forum bleats on about a "crisis" and Corrie being "worse ever". Clearly they don't remember all the times it was slated when the wonderful flawless Phil Collinson was in charge. His stories and characters where just as bad. Then their little conspiracy theories about cast members leaving the show because they allegedly dislike the state of it, without any evidence to back it up.

SB has also had a lot of his plate since taking over. We had William Roache and Michael Le Vell having to take a break due to the rape allegations, which would put a lot of pressure on behind the scenes. Not that the forum would understand that of course.
  • Options
    willowswillows Posts: 6,169
    Forum Member
    it's very poor just now, A lot of characters could be doing with getting axed
  • Options
    newyorkcitygirlnewyorkcitygirl Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The show is simply missable at the moment, and that says it all really.
  • Options
    smurklesmurkle Posts: 378
    Forum Member
    I agree with a lot what has been said on here about the decline of CS.
    I would hate Deidre to leave the show she is a great character.

Should really be the new family to leave, as i too dont think they really "fit in" and take their chickens with them! Such a stupid storyline IMO

Maybe they will get a wake up call at the noms this year!!
  • Options
    warleywitchwarleywitch Posts: 2,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oldnjaded wrote: »

Dear oldnjadad...I don't flippin watch it anymore ! I leave it on while I'm doing stuff .But I can still have an opinion and voice it on here as long as I'm not rude or offensive.
    I think SB has ruined a much loved show.
  • Options
    pegasus2pegasus2 Posts: 5,293
    Forum Member
    Did anyone see S Blackburn on This Morning the other day? Smug as smug could be about how wonderful Corrie is at the moment and blithely dismissing any criticism. It didn't seem to be an act either, he genuinely believed what he was saying.
  • Options
    SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    I think it has been pretty awful up until the last month or so where it's been a bit more interesting. The Nazirs aren't being so dominant which helps matters.
  • Options
    MarkjukMarkjuk Posts: 30,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JoshuaRy wrote: »
    I'm actually really surprised at ITV's support for Stuart Blackburn. I don't think its hard to decipher that public opinion with the show is largely negative. I know a lot of people who are just watching at the moment because 'it is' Corrie. Other than that, theres no real reason to watch, what with poor storylines and character development.

The Muslim family are growing on me ever so slightly, but they still don't really fit at the moment.

I've said it before, but I really loved Phil Collinson and its a shame that his (In my opinion) good work has been left in tatters.
    I really hope ITV do something about it this year, in terms of replacing Blackburn. The direction of the show is just heading further south, and I think its clear - from the lack of NTA nominations, to declining viewers, that something IS NOT right.

EE could eclipse Corrie next month what with the Lucy murderer reveal and the aftermath of that. We shall see...

You just have to look at the awful mess he made of Emmerdale and fan reaction to his time of the show. History has repeated itself and he has done the same to Corrie.

ITV bosses can put their fingers in their ears as much as they want but if they fail to act Corrie will sink. Production is based upon advertising revenues created and if ratings continue to fall then ITV will not be able to command top prices during Corrie's ad breaks.
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree.
  • Options
    starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    Dedrie leaving isn;t the end of the world. If they got rid of Kirk, the Windasses, Dedire, Rita, Emily, and Dev they could either introduce some fresh characters or use the budget for a storyline and continuety team, giving the remaining cast good stories.

Brian Park would be a welcome face to the show just now. And maybe bring back a character from the 60's, 70's and 80's and 90's too.