Options

Hollyoaks: John Paul storyline (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    sderr123sderr123 Posts: 13,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As far as characters being hugged gay goes, that really would make as much sense to change the sexuality of a straight character than have JP be with one of the gay character choices that they've cast. I mean I see some physical attraction between JP and Harry or Lockie. I certainly don't see love or that they have much in common between them. I just don't think a certain amount of physical lust makes a person walk into a relationship that they know will absolutely destroy their life. I don't buy that as a concept at all.
  • Options
    FlukieFlukie Posts: 40,578
    Forum Member
    sderr123 wrote: »
    As far as characters being hugged gay goes, that really would make as much sense to change the sexuality of a straight character than have JP be with one of the gay character choices that they've cast. I mean I see some physical attraction between JP and Harry or Lockie. I certainly don't see love or that they have much in common between them. I just don't think a certain amount of physical lust makes a person walk into a relationship that they know will absolutely destroy their life. I don't buy that as a concept at all.

I remember we used to wonder at the time, (early 2008) what 18 year old JP had in common with a 30 year old gay catholic priest, but they still ended up engaged to be married within about a month of being a couple!

I know he was only a plot device til Craig returned, but still ... !

And it's funny how the 'being hugged gay' thing has stuck in my mind since I read it, but I suppose it was so odd, it's the sort of thing that does stick in the mind!
  • Options
    cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Ste's coming out was in Kirkwood's stint. Maybe you could try asking Sam on twitter/tumblr about it? I don't remember all but I thought Ste came out when Brendan came along. Brendan's introduction to Hollyoaks was not in Kirkwood's stint!! Still I'd ask Sam for the details!!!

I also actually find it bewildering that character's like Doug ended up suddenly gay after being straight with no hint they were even possibly Bi etc. It seemed to come out of nowhere on the show. Compare that to JP's coming out storyline which was fab. Hard to believe that JP's coming out was down to Kirkwood after what he's done to the show now!!!

My favourite is Texas and Jodie for 0.2 seconds. That was over as soon as it started. Can you imagine if EE, ED or Corrie did what Hollyoaks do? This is why I expect anyone to suddenly be gay as Kirkwood doesn't care. He just wants to shock the twitter mafia and see them wet themselves no matter how inconsistent.
    Long after Kirkwood. Brendan was the first man he slept with. The Brendan/Ste story was developed by Paul Marquess in 2010.

I thought so but couldn't remember. Thank you.
    Flukie wrote: »
    When James left HO originally, back in 2008, he said he never wanted to be in a soap ever again. But he clearly had no idea how hard work would be to come by, when you've only been in Hollyoaks, so a year later he joined Emmerdale. When he left there, he barely worked, so when his mate Birkwood went back to HO, I knew James would end up back where he started 6 years before.
    And sure enough ...

He went back for the regular, well paid work that a soaps is. That's all that keeps him there, I would think. I can't imagine playing a gay man 7 years younger than he is, getting stuff like he gets, is anything to relish doing, but as he's getting married, it's probably what will keep him there til Birkwood moves on again and a new producer might want to get rid of him.

If he left he'd probably struggle to find work even more than he struggled the first time. And he was only 25 when he first left. He's 32 now.
    It's hard enough to get work when your CV is dominated by HO, I would think. He left originally when he'd only been there 2 years.. It's 5 years and counting now.

So that's why James stays and does these scripts. whether he's 'happy' to do them is something only he knows!

Maybe he gets this stuff cos Birkwood regrets asking his mate back.
    Y'never know! :)

I remember James saying he wouldn't do another soap. That worked well. I guess having the stability and money would be good but it must be embarrassing acting out what he has to lately.
    Francy wrote: »
    I'm making an exception just for you!! ;)

I think he was "turned gay" after Kirkwood's first stint was over.

So Kirkwood is undoing that next. Good work.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its odd that Ste would even identify himself using a gay/straight binary. The character is clearly bi-sexual. Its pretty obvious if he was sexual attracted to Amy and is now sexual attracted to Sinead.
  • Options
    Marianne_321Marianne_321 Posts: 25,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cfc86 wrote: »
    My favourite is Texas and Jodie for 0.2 seconds. That was over as soon as it started. Can you imagine if EE, ED or Corrie did what Hollyoaks do? This is why I expect anyone to suddenly be gay as Kirkwood doesn't care. He just wants to shock the twitter mafia and see them wet themselves no matter how inconsistent

The problem is that sexuality often seems to be treated like a fad or for a shock twist on the show!!!!
  • Options
    cfc86cfc86 Posts: 31,809
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its odd that Ste would even identify himself using a gay/straight binary. The character is clearly bi-sexual. Its pretty obvious if he was sexual attracted to Amy and is now sexual attracted to Sinead.

Ssh! Bisexuality doesn't exist in soaps. You're either gay or straight. There is no in between.
    The problem is that sexuality often seems to be treated like a fad or for a shock twist on the show!!!!

And the teens lap it up. Kirkwood feeds them horseshit and they happily take it.

Or we're just grumpy old people who know nothing about nothing ;-):p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    I'm certain James enjoys the emotional acting he gets to do--it's a fun challenge for actors, but he as well as many soap stars admit that they don't watch the show every night, so I really think it's just a job for him and nothing more.

I want to cut Ste a little bit of slack because this is total character assassination on his part. I know that he has consistently been not great, but he has (well, up until now) loved John Paul even he's horrible at doing stuff about it. I actually messaged Francy about this because I just felt so horrible after his scene with Sinead, but it just doesn't line up. Why would he be so angry at him blah blah, and then in yesterday's episode be all sheepish and admit to knowing and understanding what John Paul was going through? It's stupid.

These last three episodes have just not made sense. They're inconsistent with each other, let alone with Ste's character this past year.

Also I was watching some old clips--and it also seems ridiculous for Sinead to have a vendetta against John Paul. I just don't buy it. She knows what he's been through. She was with him when he talked to Finn and was so affected by it. The ONLY logical progression would be for their friendship to grow after that. What kind of storytelling is this where she becomes so consumed by her love for Ste at the drop of a hat?

:o was talking way too much sense in yesterday's episode. I actually still quite like him and Sinead together.

But whatever. It's done. I don't know how long they'll drag out the Harry stuff for. But I know myself--I won't be able to stop watching until they get to the point where they completely ignore each other and forget they were ever in a long, established relationship.
  • Options
    FrancyFrancy Posts: 10,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We know that HO is totally plot-driven, so the characters act accordingly to the needs of the plot. Consistency be damned. The Ste of the last few episodes doesn't correspond to previous Ste, because even when he is being a jackass, he's usually never nasty. Ste in the last couple of episodes was nasty.

But whatever. If that's the Ste we are going to get now, so be it.

#Free John Paul
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    I say pandering because I think its very likely that Ste will be the one doing the breaking up due to his not being exciting like Brendan and JP will end up in a relationship where he is victimized and humiliated even further with Harry or Lockie. Don't say that not a direction they'll go because I've just seen spoilers saying Maxie will now try to kill her self. Patrick's dying and apparently her suffering can never end. I don't see why they would treat JP differently.
    I can't see any reason why Hollyoaks would pander to 'Stendan' fans. What would be in it for them? I would imagine most Stendan fans don't even watch Hollyoaks any more.
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lets hope these last 3eps Ste was justa nasty dopple ganger and the REAL Ste shows up. Mondays Ste was closer to the Ste of normal with his sheepish behaviour and his acknowledgement that JP's reactions are understandable. I feel Sinead brings it out a lot as well.

Nice acknowledgement of how the HIV is still playing a part with thrm having not had sex since the diagnosis and Ste saying he's scared but JP looks like he's ready so maybe we'll get that moment were they do have sex again.

Even though he has no right to go off on one about Harry the fact he does shows he does care and is hurt by the feeling of betrayal, albeit small in comparison to JP's feelingx. Its actually nice to see even if its hypocritocal.

I hope that if they are to keep them together after Scott arrives and Hannah's born then they write them better and show us why after Scott/Sinead's meddling that they remain together. I do believe Ste loves JP but at the moment he doest show it much. Hopefilly we grt it. With JP needing him when Mercy's back it will interesting to see if Ste's there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Nice acknowledgement of how the HIV is still playing a part with thrm having not had sex since the diagnosis and Ste saying he's scared but JP looks like he's ready so maybe we'll get that moment were they do have sex again.

See, this would normally be interesting, but I can't be bothered anymore, all I can think about is Ste's vile conversation with Sinead while JP pathetically listens in the closet. That moment destroyed any good will I had towards this pairing/Ste, and I don't think I can go back to seeing their interactions normally after that.

I still haven't watched the latest episode, I can't bring myself to do it. Should I??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard Scott's character is similar to Sinead & they may become a bit of a double act. Maybe Sinead confides in Scott about her feelings for Ste & he encourages her. Maybe he also try's to sabotage Ste & JP's relationship.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lets hope these last 3eps Ste was justa nasty dopple ganger and the REAL Ste shows up. Mondays Ste was closer to the Ste of normal with his sheepish behaviour and his acknowledgement that JP's reactions are understandable. I feel Sinead brings it out a lot as well.

Even though he has no right to go off on one about Harry the fact he does shows he does care and is hurt by the feeling of betrayal, albeit small in comparison to JP's feelingx. Its actually nice to see even if its hypocritocal.

I hope that if they are to keep them together after Scott arrives and Hannah's born then they write them better and show us why after Scott/Sinead's meddling that they remain together. I do believe Ste loves JP but at the moment he doest show it much. Hopefilly we grt it. With JP needing him when Mercy's back it will interesting to see if Ste's there.

I like your positivity.
    See, this would normally be interesting, but I can't be bothered anymore, all I can think about is Ste's vile conversation with Sinead while JP pathetically listens in the closet. That moment destroyed any good will I had towards this pairing/Ste, and I don't think I can go back to seeing their interactions normally after that.

I still haven't watched the latest episode, I can't bring myself to do it. Should I??
    You might as well. It's not as bad as the episode before it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I heard Scott's character is similar to Sinead & they may become a bit of a double act. Maybe Sinead confides in Scott about her feelings for Ste & he encourages her. Maybe he also try's to sabotage Ste & JP's relationship.

I can't see JP with someone like Sinead at all. Frankly I can't see any current cast members wanting to be with someone like this Scott character. I don't get the point of Scott. Is there anyone interested in him being on HO?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He seems a lot like Lockie, to be honest. Prince of Chaos-esque.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you mean the ep JP moves in?

In that ep JP moves in without confronting Ste. Tries to be spontaneous by dressing up as the Easter bunny. Ste is not nasty to JP but you will still feel annoyed that JP says nothing about what he overheard & panders to Ste. I personally was sad to see JP try to change for Ste especially considering what he's been through & the fact he told Myra last year that Ste accepts him for who he is & he can be himself around him.

In the previous ep's convo Ste had with Sinead, Ste confirmed that JP was not as wild as Brenden regarding sex. I've actually seen JP in past relationships ripping his clothes off in the heat of the moment, so I do know he can be. JP is a rape victim now & it's understandable that intimacy would be difficult for him after being forced to have sex so brutally by Finn. Ste knows this & I thought It was a horrid thing for him to say.

I thought Ste in the last ep looked a bit sheepish & said he understood when JP said it was hard for him to move into Finn's house, but from Ste's actions (the previous two ep's) it looked like he couldn't care less & that JP was overreacting.

The ep ended with Sinead overhearing about the Harry kiss. By the looks of it she will act morally superior all of a sudden forgetting that she actually had sex with Ste never mind a kiss behind JP's back!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't see JP with someone like Sinead at all. Frankly I can't see any current cast members wanting to be with someone like this Scott character. I don't get the point of Scott. Is there anyone interested in him being on HO?

BIB You lost me with this bit? :confused:

I personally am not interested in Scott coming into the show. I've heard he may be a bit of a male version of Sinead & that we'll dislike some of his actions!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BIB You lost me with this bit? :confused:

I personally am not interested in Scott coming into the show. I've heard he may be a bit of a male version of Sinead & that we'll dislike some of his actions!!!

Just the idea I guess I saw promoted that Scott was going to be tasked with trying to seduce JP to break him and Ste up. Scott is supposed to be very much like Sinead. I just can't see this as being believable. I just don't see anyone believing JP would be with Scott (not even Ste), for many reasons
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So I just realized that Harry's not underage (lol I'm late to this, sorry, age of consent is 18 here). Since that's the case... how does it matter? At all? I guess it's a problem that JP's a teacher... but not really, since it happened before he even got his job back?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So I just realized that Harry's not underage (lol I'm late to this, sorry, age of consent is 18 here). Since that's the case... how does it matter? At all? I guess it's a problem that JP's a teacher... but not really, since it happened before he even got his job back?

It is illegal since JP is his teacher and he is under 18. The kiss wasn't illegal, but entering into a relationship with Harry at this point would be. I don't know if they are still toying with that idea. They said they wouldn't but they also said JP and Ste are solid.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just the idea I guess I saw promoted that Scott was going to be tasked with trying to seduce JP to break him and Ste up. Scott is supposed to be very much like Sinead. I just can't see this as being believable. I just don't see anyone believing JP would be with Scott (not even Ste), for many reasons

If not JP, maybe Harry? I do think Scott will be a stirrer!!

Also with Scott moving into the O'Connor's residence it's turning even more into a Tardis!! Anyone know how many bedrooms the O'Connor house actually has? It's got to fit, Diane, the twins, Sinead & new baby, Ste, JP & then Scott. I wonder where they all sleep? :confused:
  • Options
    shortiefluffshortiefluff Posts: 3,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If not JP, maybe Harry? I do think Scott will be a stirrer!!

Also with Scott moving into the O'Connor's residence it's turning even more into a Tardis!! Anyone know how many bedrooms the O'Connor house actually has? It's got to fit, Diane, the twins, Sinead & new baby, Ste, JP & then Scott. I wonder where they all sleep? :confused:

And not forgetting Matthew, who JP seems to have remembered exists finally with his mention by him in the e4 ep. It is a tardis now. No idea how many bedrooms it has.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And not forgetting Matthew, who JP seems to have remembered exists finally with his mention by him in the e4 ep. It is a tardis now. No idea how many bedrooms it has.

I forgot about Matthew totally!!! :o;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I forced myself to watch yesterday's episode.. and except for the bunny ears, spontaneous JP scene that I had to fast forward because I was dying from second hand embarassment, it wasn't so bad. It was normal JP/Ste stuff. Take away Thursday's disastrous episode (and the fact that JP didn't do anything about it), and it wouldn't be different from the usual stuff we have seen between them for a year and a half.

What the f*** was Thursday's episode??
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, I forced myself to watch yesterday's episode.. and except for the bunny ears, spontaneous JP scene that I had to fast forward because I was dying from second hand embarassment, it wasn't so bad. It was normal JP/Ste stuff. Take away Thursday's disastrous episode (and the fact that JP didn't do anything about it), and it wouldn't be different from the usual stuff we have seen between them for a year and a half.

What the f*** was Thursday's episode??

Ste just has no reason to be angry with JP so it doesn't make sense. The big crime is that they lack chemistry. Certainly Ste should be able to see if he married someone he's not sexually attracted to its his fault since HE forced the issue.