Why are BBC Three shows performing badly on BBC Two?

roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
Forum Member
✭✭✭
This doesn't look good for the BBC who believe young people who don't move online will watch the BBC3 programming on 1 and 2:

https://twitter.com/SaveBBCThree/status/636441163273228288

No doubt there's reasoning for the poor performances but strong numbers would have helped their position.

Comments

• ohglobbitsohglobbits Posts: 4,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Family Guy, Russell Howard and some programme about hair stylists. They didn't exactly bring the cream over to BBC2.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anybody really care? This obsession with viewing figures always reminds me of Max Headroom.
  • JustChrisMJustChrisM Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    BBC Three and BBC Two have completely different audience demographics.

BBC Three would have majority of young viewers. BBC Two will have a lot more older viewers.

Also the shows they have brought over from BBC3 to BBC2 haven't exactly been given great timeslots, new Family Guy put on at 10:15pm springs to mind.
  • fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hopefully FG might improve once it moves on to ITV2 and stays on just one channel.
    Another thing they keep changing times & channels so it does not help.
    And I saw these ones like last year back on line so not bothering.
  • northladnorthlad Posts: 1,823
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They both have totally different audiences,and BBC2 viewers expect something more than cartoons.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's in a transition period. The young used to flock to BBC Two for Not The Nine O'Clock News, Bottom, Alexei Sayle, Alas Smith and Jones etc. etc.

They'll be back.

Saddest thing is, children didn't follow Blue Peter and other chlidren's programmes to the multichannels.

Good case for just having a strong BBC One and Two.
  • roadshow2006roadshow2006 Posts: 1,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    derek500 wrote: »
    It's in a transition period. The young used to flock to BBC Two for Not The Nine O'Clock News, Bottom, Alexei Sayle, Alas Smith and Jones etc. etc.

They'll be back.

Saddest thing is, children didn't follow Blue Peter and other chlidren's programmes to the multichannels.

Good case for just having a strong BBC One and Two.
    Is it? Or is it that actually maintaining BBC3 is the best way to retain audiences in a multichannel audience? You seem to agree that moving shows about like that doesn't help.
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only way I knew new family guy was moving to two was because I read about it on here.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the problem with Family Guys is that it is 16 years old, its viewers are late 20s, and 30s. Its not a surprise its loosing young viewers, whilst the drop off from BBC 3 to BBC 2 is partly down to BBC 2 not being a young persons channel, Family Guy is not the best show to judge it on,
  • David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    the problem with Family Guys is that it is 16 years old, its viewers are late 20s, and 30s. Its not a surprise its loosing young viewers, whilst the drop off from BBC 3 to BBC 2 is partly down to BBC 2 not being a young persons channel, Family Guy is not the best show to judge it on,

Family guy may be 16 years old but it wasn't popular in the uk until the late 00's. I do think new episodes would be rating higher if it had stayed on three.
  • CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    David_Hill wrote: »
    Family guy may be 16 years old but it wasn't popular in the uk until the late 00's. I do think new episodes would be rating higher if it had stayed on three.
    true ratings would be higher, but I do think the average Family Guy viewer is in the higher age bracket for BBC 3, it certainly isnt in the younger age bracket.
  • Object ZObject Z Posts: 1,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • PowerLeePowerLee Posts: 1,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most people know that if Family Guy is being shown on a BBC channel then its a 95% chance its going to be an episode that has already been repeated to death so its not really worth even tuning in.
  • RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,946
    Forum Member
    Let us not forget that:-

1. BBC Three hasn't closed down yet - viewers who might have otherwise watched Family Guy on BBC Two if BBC Three were not there, may have still been tuned to BBC Three (this Sunday showing the film Deep Impact and an old edition of Russell Howard's Good News at the relevant time).

2. The new episodes on Sunday are repeated on BBC Three on Tuesdays anyway.

3. The BBC Two start time is earlier than for any Family Guy episodes on BBC Three.

3. The three episodes of Family Guy on BBC Two on Sundays are followed immediately by another three on BBC Three.

4. There remain at least 3 episodes of Family Guy on BBC Three every night including Sundays.

5. Habits and audiences take time to change. If you moved University Challenge to BBC One its audience would initially increase. Move New Tricks to BBC Two and the reverse would happen.

So at the moment I would suggest that the figures prove nothing - at least not as regards as what would happen once BBC Three has gone and any of its programmes are then shown on BBC One or BBC Two.

In other news I believe this may be my 4,000th post. :o I really ought to find a more constructive use for my time :D
  • BramptonBrampton Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    David_Hill wrote: »
    The only way I knew new family guy was moving to two was because I read about it on here.

Proper agree! Auto reaction for me is to go to BBC3 for Family Guy, didnt realise it was on BBC2, just thought BBC3 was going through one of its "lets promote something different in this timeslot phase" again
  • bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    The BBC want this to fail as quickly as possible, so they can dump all of the old bbc3 content and plow that money into things such as bbc1 drama, which is already over funded. as a result we have had no advertising on shows such as Family Guy on BBc2 from what i have seen.

BBC2 was a channel that was confused before the introduction of this content and now it just does not really serve a purpose for anybody

What we are all forgetting is the BBC have done something similar to this before with BBC Switch. They moved content for 12-16 year olds online with the promise of new shows and investment, it did not work and was quietly dumped.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    What we are all forgetting is the BBC have done something similar to this before with BBC Switch. They moved content for 12-16 year olds online with the promise of new shows and investment, it did not work and was quietly dumped.

Humorously, BBC Switch was dropped under the pretence that T4 was catering for the same audience and competing over the same audience was pointless. 18 months later, T4 was cancelled, and BBC Switch has not returned.

This is really just a case of the BBC not caring about teenage and young adult audiences, which seems to be rather self-defeating when they're the people you want to fund your future endeavours.
  • Bandspread199Bandspread199 Posts: 4,900
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP because BBC 3 programmes are crap!