Options

Texas Deputy Shot Dead "Execution Style"

BigAndy99BigAndy99 Posts: 3,277
Forum Member
✭✭✭
29th August 2015

No mention of racism yet.

Please discuss.

HARRIS COUNTY, TX – The Harris County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating the shooting death of a deputy at the Chevron station located at West Road and Telge Road.

Photos of the suspect and the suspect vehicle have been released by investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

The suspect is described as a dark complexioned male, driving a red extended cab pick-up styled vehicle.

http://www.texaspolicenews.com/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=55685&menugroup=Home

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman wrote on Twitter: "Tonight we are grieving the loss of one of our brothers. I ask that you continue to pray for Deputy Goforth's family, friends, & co-workers.

"We will not rest until this suspect has been located and justice is served to the family of Deputy Darren Goforth."

He added: "In my 45 years in law enforcement, I can't recall another incident so cold-blooded and cowardly."

http://news.sky.com/story/1543526/houston-cop-darren-goforth-killed-at-gas-station

Comments

• Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    BigAndy99 wrote: »
    29th August 2015

No mention of racism yet.

Please discuss.

HARRIS COUNTY, TX – The Harris County Sheriff’s Office is currently investigating the shooting death of a deputy at the Chevron station located at West Road and Telge Road.

Photos of the suspect and the suspect vehicle have been released by investigators with the Harris County Sheriff's Office.

The suspect is described as a dark complexioned male, driving a red extended cab pick-up styled vehicle.

http://www.texaspolicenews.com/default.aspx?act=Newsletter.aspx&category=News+1-2&newsletterid=55685&menugroup=Home

Harris County Sheriff Ron Hickman wrote on Twitter: "Tonight we are grieving the loss of one of our brothers. I ask that you continue to pray for Deputy Goforth's family, friends, & co-workers.

"We will not rest until this suspect has been located and justice is served to the family of Deputy Darren Goforth."

He added: "In my 45 years in law enforcement, I can't recall another incident so cold-blooded and cowardly."

http://news.sky.com/story/1543526/houston-cop-darren-goforth-killed-at-gas-station

Why couldn't they just have said black? ;-)
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cas1977 wrote: »

Perhaps they don't mean black?
  • Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if it was some sort of revenge killing.
  • Options
    RandomSallyRandomSally Posts: 7,074
    Forum Member
    Because not everyone with a darker complexion is black?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it's because the image captured by CCTV is so poor, that it's impossible to determine whether he is black, or for example, hispanic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    Perhaps they don't mean black?
    Though what else could they mean? The fact that he's recently been to the sunbeds....:D

If he isn't black, then ok, I instantly thought upon reading it that they were using that term to express the fact he's black, similar when they report that someone "is a person of colour".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    blueblade wrote: »
    I think it's because the image captured by CCTV is so poor, that it's impossible to determine whether he is black, or for example, hispanic.

ok fair enough :)
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    Bob Marley has already insisted it wasn't him. (Though Ron Hickman had better watch his back)
  • Options
    idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    That's a black dude.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    That's a black dude.

How do you differentiate a black dude from a Hispanic dude, given the poor quality of the image ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if the Texas PD wanted to say "black" they'd say "black". It's in their interests to be as accurate as possible; dude shot a sheriff, they're not gonna arse about being polite when they need to trace him ASAP.

(EDIT- "sheriff's deputy").
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure if the Texas PD wanted to say "black" they'd say "black". It's in their interests to be as accurate as possible; dude shot a sheriff, they're not gonna arse about being polite when they need to trace him ASAP.

Yes - I'm just interested in how idlewilde apparently knows, for sure, that the guy is a black dude..
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes - I'm just interested in how idlewilde apparently knows, for sure, that the guy is a black dude..

It's a mystery for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you differentiate a black dude from a Hispanic dude, given the poor quality of the image ?

Head shape and gait. That guy is Afro-American.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Certainly looks like it.
  • Options
    Forum Member

How do you tell his gait from a still photo? And tbh the head shape is no more clear than the rest of his face. Plus head shapes aren't standard. If the Texas police thought he was black they'd say so. As it is I take it they're uncertain due to a crap photo.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How do you tell his gait from a still photo? And tbh the head shape is no more clear than the rest of his face. Plus head shapes aren't standard. If the Texas police thought he was black they'd say so. As it is I take it they're uncertain due to a crap photo.

They might be loathe to say black because of racial tensions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They're after a cop-killer, I'd have thought accuracy would have been their main concern. And yeah, he looks black in that pic, but I'm assuming if it was that cut and dried they would have said so. Seems an odd time for Texas to suddenly be getting cold feet about description.
  • Options
    DotheboyshallDotheboyshall Posts: 40,583
    Forum Member
    Or has a fake tan
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting that no one has actually commented on the main issue here, the barbaric, unprovoked murder of someone simply filling their vehicle with fuel.
  • Options
    ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting that no one has actually commented on the main issue here, the barbaric, unprovoked murder of someone simply filling their vehicle with fuel.

Clearly not on the OP's agenda.
  • Options
    Forum Member

You didn't answer my question about telling a gait from a still?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're after a cop-killer, I'd have thought accuracy would have been their main concern. And yeah, he looks black in that pic, but I'm assuming if it was that cut and dried they would have said so. Seems an odd time for Texas to suddenly be getting cold feet about description.

It's because they cant be 100% sure. That's confirmed on the video in this link

If they go ahead and say black (African American), then he turns out to be Hispanic, it's going to look racially prejudiced, as though there was an automatic assumption he was black.
  • Options
    killjoykilljoy Posts: 7,921
    Forum Member
    What is interesting is the Texas police website itself. Showing a police force that does inform and try to relate to its community ~ no hint of "we are not allowed to show a wanted persons face"
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's because they cant be 100% sure. That's confirmed on the video in this link

If they go ahead and say black (African American), then he turns out to be Hispanic, it's going to look racially prejudiced, as though there was an automatic assumption he was black.

True, but I'd say the larger concern wouldn't be that they looked racist, more that if they gave a description saying he was black, people seeing a Hispanic guy wouldn't phone it in.