Options

Why Are We Getting All This Snow All Of A Sudden?

2»

Comments

• Options
    TrumpyBumsTrumpyBums Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    Because its cold;)
  • Options
    timeytimey Posts: 19,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Xassy wrote: »
    It said, on the news, that this is the most snow we've had since 1991.

It may well be, but it is not significantly worse. We have often had snow falls of similar duration and severity in the past and I do not feel that this is significantly worse enough to say we are getting "all this snow all of a sudden".

And if we got worse in 1991, why did we get that in that year? It's obvious that some years are worse than others. It's normal. To answer the OP's specific question, nothing is "going on". And a few days of snow does not liken us to Norway in the slightest.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because somewhere in the world a butterfly flapped its wings
    local weather systems are chaotic by nature and relatively extreme weather events will continue to occur despite global average temperature change. Don't expect it to stop snowing occasionally in any of our lifetimes just because the average global temperature is on the rise.
  • Options
    PlatinumStevePlatinumSteve Posts: 4,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No I think it's more like the movie The Day After Tomorrow, and the helicopters in Scotland will not be able to run! And the world is in for a new Ice Age!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well since we moved to our new house here 3 years ago- every year we have had snow.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    boolaa wrote: »
    It's all to do with the Gulf stream, a current which keeps us warmer than we should be, the ice melting causes sea water to become diluted with fresh, changing its density which could 'turn off' the Gulf Stream and make Britain freeze, more info here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/science/horizon/2003/bigchillqa.shtml
    http://www.usnews.com/usnews/culture/articles/030602/2gulfstream_2.htm

Cheers for that :)
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The current weather is due to a mass of cold, dry continental air moving towards us. As it crosses the warm-ish North Sea, it picks up mositure which condenses into snow.

This occurs from time to time, if this were July/August and that air-mass was in exactly the same position, it would be between 30/35c and we'd be sweltering.

Very soon we will be back to the more usual run of south-westerly air streams bringing fronts in off the Atlantic which would be milder, but wetter (for the rest of the country).
  • Options
    CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Earth has been getting snow for Millions of years apparently even before Global warming :cool:
  • Options
    boolaaboolaa Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What people don't seem to realise is that climate change is NORMAL, despite we have anything to do with it or not. The climate has warmed an cooled lots of times since the Earth was formed. No amount of recycling and banning lightbulbs will make a difference in the end as the climate WILL warm up or cool down, it's natural and there's not a thing we can do about it :p
  • Options
    CoolboyACoolboyA Posts: 10,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's usually cold and snowy in Winter here.

So what, it's a bit colder and snowier than usual - it happens. It's just such a shock cause we are used to pishy wet and mild winters.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    CM wrote: »
    The Earth has been getting snow for Millions of years apparently even before Global warming :cool:
    CoolboyA wrote: »
    It's usually cold and snowy in Winter here.

So what, it's a bit colder and snowier than usual - it happens. It's just such a shock cause we are used to pishy wet and mild winters.

Yes we accept that. But I was just interested in the science behind it, tis all :)
  • Options
    NoDiceNoDice Posts: 2,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sid_1979 wrote: »
    Yes we accept that. But I was just interested in the science behind it, tis all :)

I think it starts off as rain but turns into snow on the way down. I have no idea why it has 6 sides though.:)
  • Options
    Steve™Steve™ Posts: 7,286
    Forum Member
    4444 wrote: »
    Until this week I used to say we hardly ever get snow these days, global warming, and yet here we are and as I write this it's snowing again outside my window. We are the new Norway! What's going on?

God moves in mysterious ways.
  • Options
    ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Exocet wrote: »
    Because somewhere in the world a butterfly flapped its wings
    local weather systems are chaotic by nature and relatively extreme weather events will continue to occur despite global average temperature change...

Why oh why hasn't the Daily Mail launched a campaign against this Nu Labourist Butterfly menace!:mad:

I bet Jonathon Ross keeps climate-changing butterflies too!:eek:
  • Options
    Parker45Parker45 Posts: 5,854
    Forum Member
    True to form, some of the the global warming zealots have leapt on this winter as evidence of climate change but of course they are clutching at straws because one bad winter is statistically meaningless. Every 20 years or so we seem to get a very bad winter - the British weather has always been very changeable with extremes every now and then. That's why it's our favourite topic of conversation!
  • Options
    deltadelta Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's nothing extraordinary, it just doesn't fall in same place every time!
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    It's not the first time. It's nothing compared to 1963.

Or 1981 or 1947 for that matter.
    4444 wrote: »
    Until this week I used to say we hardly ever get snow these days, global warming, and yet here we are and as I write this it's snowing again outside my window. We are the new Norway! What's going on?

Maybe global warming isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Why are we getting all this surprise over snow all of a sudden?

We are a northern European country and it's February.

:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where I live I think it's snowed twice. Hardly a big deal.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    We have winters. Sometimes it gets very cold. Then it might snow. The end.