Itunes does not fit on my screen properly, can anyone tell me what's wrong?

2»

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dontpannic wrote: »
    Are you guys using screens from the 1950's? What resolutions are you using?

Just double click the title bar, that will expand it to fill the screen.

Before the retina marketing era had begun MacBooks had had a resolution 1280x800, so I guess they do have a solution that fits this resolution.
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    Are you guys using screens from the 1950's? What resolutions are you using?

Just double click the title bar, that will expand it to fill the screen.

1600x900 and 1920x1080p and does it on both of them. Hardly 1950's is it now?

Surprise me, you don't have a problem with it?
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought I was the only one with this problem before I read this thread. It's only happened since the latest versions and is really annoying. I've used the old drag-to-size method now as this is the only way I can get it to fit properly.

:) Mark
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What graphics cards are the people with an issue using and have you updated you drivers?

I'm using a AMD HD5870 with 13.1 drivers @ 1920x1080 under Windows 8 Pro and don't have a problem
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    ...but that is exactly what I said in post #7 !

Btw, my earlier screenshot was when it first opens. After clicking the max button, I get this - which is just as bad. It just toggles between the two unless I do the thing we have both described.

Ok, that is crap. I'm normally the one to find the crappy apple bug, but it looks like i dont have this one for a change.

Good old Apple.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skiller wrote: »
    I'm not sure if it's time limited or maybe a logon/off issue. Either way, Apple have a developer who needs a ticking off.

Why? It Apple QA that is shoddy and shouldn't have signed off the update. It was probably the same QA that signed of Apple maps.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why? It Apple QA that is shoddy and shouldn't have signed off the update. It was probably the same QA that signed of Apple maps.
    Yes, the QA shouldn't have let it through, but ultimately it was the developer that went wrong.

"I look down on him"... etc
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have ended up downgrading my iTunes back to 10.7. Absolutely fed up with iTunes 11. My laptop screen is 1600x900 and still doesn't fit. I have tried everything that has been posted on here and after I have done what has been posted, but when I close down iTunes 11, and then re-open it, the thing goes back to the way it was when I first started.

At least with Itunes 10.7 I can maxmise to one screen and it stays there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have ended up downgrading my iTunes back to 10.7. Absolutely fed up with iTunes 11. My laptop screen is 1600x900 and still doesn't fit. I have tried everything that has been posted on here and after I have done what has been posted, but when I close down iTunes 11, and then re-open it, the thing goes back to the way it was when I first started.

At least with Itunes 10.7 I can maxmise to one screen and it stays there.

How do you do that? :o
  • scooby1970scooby1970 Posts: 2,797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I dont know if I'd re-install an older version of iTunes, might just wait for an update. My graphics drivers are up to date on my i7 Windows 7 laptop with Nvidia graphics, and I've checked iTunes on a couple of other machines thinking I had a problem with the laptop but they all do the same thing.

:) Mark
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    1600x900 and 1920x1080p and does it on both of them. Hardly 1950's is it now?

Surprise me, you don't have a problem with it?

Jesus, it was a flippant comment, no need to concentrate on it. No, I don't have a problem with it. I run it on OSX and it works fine there (in fact, this is the first version of iTunes where clicking the Maximize button fills the screen, rather than switching to the mini-player).

You guys do realise that it is possible for a company to include a bug in the software by mistake without noticing it? Not only will it be affected by Application Data on your machine from any previous versions of Windows, it will also be affected by screen resolutions. It is impossible for Apple to test for problems on all screen resolutions and with all combinations of old application settings.

From what I've heard, drag the corners down until the iTunes window is within the confines of your display, then press the Maximize button, and it will fill the screen as normal. Restore the window down and it will revert back to the resized version before you maximized the window.

It's an easy fix and something that is fairly common on windowed applications after updates, and I think the comments aimed at the iTunes Windows developers are a little over-reactive, (even though I agree that on Windows, it is far more bloated than it needs to be).

Windows allows you to resize an application window for a reason. It's a basic skill that everyone using Windows should be familiar with by now.
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Before the retina marketing era had begun MacBooks had had a resolution 1280x800, so I guess they do have a solution that fits this resolution.

Nothing to do with Retina and I'm not sure why you brought that up. My MacBook Pro 13" has a 1280x800 screen.

In the interests of fairness I am about to install iTunes 11 onto my Windows 8 machine specifically due to this thread. I will let you know how it goes. My machine is an Athlon 64 x2 3000+, 4Gb RAM, NVidia GeForce 210 graphics chip running dual monitor at 1280x1024 on both screens.
  • DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    milmol wrote: »
    How do you do that? :o

Uninstall all the things that itunes 11 puts in and the itunes directory in my music. click on one of the links to download.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1576 32 bit version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1577 64 bit version.

Both are for windows.
  • dontpannicdontpannic Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a result of my test - install of iTunes 11 onto a machine with no previous installs of iTunes, everything works as expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QhQb1l8pl0

I would say that the issue lies with the application data on your machine.
  • skillerskiller Posts: 963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's an easy fix and something that is fairly common on windowed applications after updates, and I think the comments aimed at the iTunes Windows developers are a little over-reactive
    My comments about the developers were also flippant.

I agree it's a simple problem to correct if you have used Windows for more than 5 minutes, but I can't understand how such a high profile piece of software can be released with such a basic fault.
    As a result of my test - install of iTunes 11 onto a machine with no previous installs of iTunes, everything works as expected.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QhQb1l8pl0

I would say that the issue lies with the application data on your machine.
    Not sure that your vid proves anything as it looks to be within the confines of your screen to start with.

However, I will try Annie's suggestion of updating drivers - although I've never had to do that before.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing to do with Retina and I'm not sure why you brought that up. My MacBook Pro 13" has a 1280x800 screen.

What I meant is that their OSX version typically works with a lower resolution than a typical Windows version and they managed to pack everything on screen nicely. Why not on Windows? Because instead of writing a normal Windows application they have used some funny framework that allows their OSX source code to be reused for Windows. This is the result.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Uninstall all the things that itunes 11 puts in and the itunes directory in my music. click on one of the links to download.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1576 32 bit version.

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1577 64 bit version.

Both are for windows.

thanks for answering
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    On my screen 1280x1024, the scroll bars fall of the sides/bottom

I have to Restore (un-maximise)
    Adjust the size of the window
    then Maximize.