Programmes you watched when off sick from school

Vite.dfeemtoonVite.dfeemtoon Posts: 5,397
Forum Member
Remember those days when you weren't well enough to go to school, but by the afternoon you were downstairs watching what counted for daytime telly then?

I remember watching:

House Party (who was the really posh one?)
Early Delia Smith shows
Crown Court

But there is a grey area of what was on before the kids' programmes started around four. I wish I could lay my hands on an old Radio Times from the mid-'70s. Why did we never keep that stuff?

Comments

• EmmaGxEmmaGx Posts: 31,062
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Saved by the Bell ... never understood why that was shown during school time ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Late 80s/early 90s - The Hogan Family. loved it.

Some quiz show with Andrew O'Connor involving solving crosswords.

Oh, and remember Pebble Mill with some really scary redhead woman who had too much make-up.

Don't remember the original Crown Court, but watched the re-runs on Granada Plus ten years ago, great stuff.
  • Vince JVince J Posts: 1,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scooby doo! I loved that cartoon. I have a memory of watching it when I had chicken pox, lying in bed with my special duvet and my dad coming home from work with a Burger King meal to cheer me up. :D
    Forum Member
    But there is a grey area of what was on before the kids' programmes started around four. I wish I could lay my hands on an old Radio Times from the mid-'70s. Why did we never keep that stuff?

Just seen loads on Ebay for about £9 each. 70s, 80s, any year you like.

Here's my favourite. :D

And Rod Stewart once looked cool! :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to watch this american kids programme with two smoking hot blonde twins WOW
  • FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    I wish I could lay my hands on an old Radio Times from the mid-'70s. Why did we never keep that stuff?
    You can always lookup the BBC programme catalog, here's an example, just ammend the date in the url to suit...

http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/on_this_day/1978/11/13
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,156
    Forum Member
    I used to watch schools on C4 (back in the late 80s) when they had that cool song between shows.

http://www.schoolstv.com/audio/itvschools/itvon4_audio_just_a_minute.rm?1
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember it was called

SWEET VALLEY HIGH
  • Mizz FilthMizz Filth Posts: 1,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sister Sister

Wonder what happened to them
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mizz Filth wrote:
    Sister Sister

Wonder what happened to them
    that was ok but way to predictable Tamara got herslf into trouble and the they used their twin thing to get themselvers out of trouble while recieving a big over the top punishment from Ray
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that was ok but way to predictable Tamara got herslf into trouble and the they used their twin thing to get themselvers out of trouble while recieving a big over the top punishment from Ray

But Lisa was hilarious.

AND GOO HOME ROGER!!!!

:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mizz Filth wrote:
    But Lisa was hilarious.

AND GOO HOME ROGER!!!!

:cool:
    yeash she was LOL

I wonder what she is up to now? :)
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote:
    You can always lookup the BBC programme catalog, here's an example, just ammend the date in the url to suit...

http://open.bbc.co.uk/catalogue/infax/on_this_day/1978/11/13

Weird. Looked at the line-up for Royal Variety.

CONTRIBUTORS: The Krankies, Andy STEWART, Gracie FIELDS
    CONTRIBUTORS: Arthur ASKEY, David JACOBS, Rolf HARRIS, The Nolan Sisters, June WHITFIELD, Marti CAINE, Lionel BLAIR, Paul Daniels, Harry SECOMBE, The King's Singers sing 'The English are best', Mary O'Hara plays the harp, Showaddywaddy, Danny LA RUE, National Youth Jazz Orchestra, Acker BILK, Kenny BALL, Frankie HOWERD, Wayne SLEEP, Max BYGRAVES, The Kaye Sisters, Ann SHELTON, Max BOYCE, Moira ANDERSON, Barry EVANS, Charlie DRAKE, Judith CHALMERS, The Beverley Sisters, Bernard BRESSLAW, Cyril FLETCHER, Bobby CRUSH, Diane Langton, David NIXON, Pepe & His Friends (Puppet Theatre) Esther RANTZEN, The Band, Pipes & Drums of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

All presented by Terry Wogan. I was one when this was broadcast, names in bold are people I've heard of. Try putting a show together like that now, how many performers would be heard of in 30 years time by people who are one now?!

But what the hell was this?!
    The King's Singers sing 'The English are best'

Were The King's Singers fascists or something? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably still doing her fashion designs .... lol
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Weird. Looked at the line-up for Royal Variety.

CONTRIBUTORS: The Krankies, Andy STEWART, Gracie FIELDS
    CONTRIBUTORS: Arthur ASKEY, David JACOBS, Rolf HARRIS, The Nolan Sisters, June WHITFIELD, Marti CAINE, Lionel BLAIR, Paul Daniels, Harry SECOMBE, The King's Singers sing 'The English are best', Mary O'Hara plays the harp, Showaddywaddy, Danny LA RUE, National Youth Jazz Orchestra, Acker BILK, Kenny BALL, Frankie HOWERD, Wayne SLEEP, Max BYGRAVES, The Kaye Sisters, Ann SHELTON, Max BOYCE, Moira ANDERSON, Barry EVANS, Charlie DRAKE, Judith CHALMERS, The Beverley Sisters, Bernard BRESSLAW, Cyril FLETCHER, Bobby CRUSH, Diane Langton, David NIXON, Pepe & His Friends (Puppet Theatre) Esther RANTZEN, The Band, Pipes & Drums of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards.

All presented by Terry Wogan. I was one when this was broadcast, names in bold are people I've heard of. Try putting a show together like that now, how many performers would be heard of in 30 years time by people who are one now?!

But what the hell was this?!
    The King's Singers sing 'The English are best'

Were The King's Singers fascists or something? :eek:

I must be very old as I've heard of everyone on there apart from Pepe and His Friends.
    Have you really never heard of Arthur Askey, Marti Caine or Charlie Drake?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 67
    Forum Member
    When I was a kiddy kid it was Words & Pictures on BBC Two.
    Then as I grew up my taste shifted and my sick-day TV highlight was Neighbours.

Now I'm at work and nothing much has changed really...
    Forum Member
    Weren't the King Singers the backing group for Monty Python's Lumberjack song?
    Forum Member
    bevheth wrote:
    I must be very old as I've heard of everyone on there apart from Pepe and His Friends.
    Have you really never heard of Arthur Askey, Marti Caine or Charlie Drake?

Sorry, all of the above must've passed me by. Googled them all, saw the pic of Arthur Askey and thought it was the weedy guy from the Carry On films but that's Charles Hawtrey. :rolleyes:
    But he seems to have done most of his stuff in the 30s and 40s. Apart from The Bee Gees and Paul McCartney, there won't be many people from forty years ago who could probably get on a Royal Variety in 2007, so fair play to him for being still around in 1978.
    Forum Member
    Fizzbin wrote:
    Weren't the King Singers the backing group for Monty Python's Lumberjack song?

That makes me feel better, a song called 'The English Are Best' must have been a joke then!
  • BluenileBluenile Posts: 11,712
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Sullivans. An Aussie wartime soap that used to be on ITV up until around 1986.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sullivans

Pebble Mill at one.

Also IBA engineering Announcements at around 9.15am, live from Crawley Court.

Also, does anyone remember 'Paint along with nancy'
    Forum Member
    Bluenile wrote:
    Also, does anyone remember 'Paint along with nancy'
    How could anyone forget?! - http://www.hhg.freeuk.com/nancy/index.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can remember being at home when off sick from school and having a big bottle of Lucozade that was wrapped in orange cellophane. I would carefully unwrap the cellophane and put it over my eyes and pretend I was watching colour television. Oh what days of innocence!
    (Then I would take the gold foil top and try to flatten it into a circle without breaking it)
  • LightningIguanaLightningIguana Posts: 21,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Words and pictures!

Let's see what magic pencil is writing today!

Top, to bottom and all the way around! Now, if you can follow those instructions without knowing you're supposed to be drawing a b then you're doing better than me (I used to take things literally, more fun).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,715
    Forum Member
    Late 80s/early 90s - The Hogan Family. loved it.

THANK YOU ! I've been trying to think about this show (what it was called etc) for AGES !! I remember it was on about 3pm on BBC1 - I thought it was great too.

There was also another US show about a family in a large detached house, their grandad lived with them and had a large bushy moustache. It was from around the same time, but I can't remember what it was called or even if it was a comedy, I think it was more drama - but with some laughs.

Slightly off on a tangent whenever I was off sick I always looked for the kids TV programme that was shown on Brookside. It was some puppet rabbits with looping music - I remember Thomas Farnham was always left in front of the TV with it on.

Of course I had no idea they'd made it up to save the cost of using anyone elses copyright material - I thought it was a channel 4 kids show for years. :rolleyes: