Options

Doc Martin (Part 17 — Spoilers)

Comments

• Options
    Hot HitsHot Hits Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are they filming a new series this year for autumn showing?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hot Hits wrote: »
    Are they filming a new series this year for autumn showing?

Apparently if there is a Series 7, and MC says there will be, it will be filmed Spring to Summer 2015. To be shown, typically, the Fall of 2015.
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member

Very interesting thanks for posting
  • Options
    MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This article was very interesting. What I find interesting is how the stations say it took so long for the show to take off. I saw the show listing but I would never have watched it because it sounded like those clunky boots. There was no advertising and it just didn't sound like something to watch. I think for many of us, it was just word of mouth...from neighbors....from family...from loyal PBS viewers..that got us to watch. It took me about three shows...and then seeing Martin, and I was hooked. I recognized MC, it could have been from BBC America's MBB....which I also didn't watch....and that was it.

It seems pretty amazing but that is where Doc Martin started to catch on in the US. I also thought it funny that the article said the humor was lost on many people. I bet that is true....but at least some of the audience got it because it's certainly popular right now. Interesting observation on the atypical growth of an atypical show.

Vapid babbling I know. Have at me.
  • Options
    NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

seems much, much more complicated than I had imagined.
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    seems much, much more complicated than I had imagined.

Yup! Made my head spin a bit trying to keep track of all the players and how it all worked as I read it. Who knew?!?! Well, maybe Adelie has the most clue about these things.

I managed to get the C-Span bus to come to my school once for students to tour. And sat in a live audience for a local morning show. That's my experience (virtually none), and yet DM makes it all strangely fascinating for me.;-)
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It seems there are many paws in the DM honey pot!!

Today is Claire Bloom's birthday - 83 years YOUNG. To repeat what I found in a mini biog.: Age has not taken the flower off this Bloom. :) I appreciate that BP has given her this fantastic part in the series, especially in S6.
  • Options
    Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Portwenn Survivor

This week's episode thrown out of the surgery:

S5E7 Cats and Sharks

Complete survey results: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyResults.html

New survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyCurrent.html

Episode title survey: http://portwennonline.com/SurveyEpisodeTitles.html

Be sure to check out the new Trivia page that is being created for each episode as we eliminate them!

Last week's episode trivia page: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaS2E3.html

I knew I was missing something in the Trivia area and realized this week that it is a "Martin & Louisa" section! So I went back and have added that to each of the previously eliminated episodes. The trivia page for all of them is here: http://portwennonline.com/TriviaMartinLouisa.html

I'm also going to create a new one this week: "Nice Martin" to go along with the "Rude Martin" page.
  • Options
    dcdmfandcdmfan Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just seen on Twitter: "@NT_Tortoise: MACBETH directed by @JoeHillGibbins, starring Martin Clunes and Nancy Dell'olio. Playing the Olivier this autumn ahead of a UK tour."
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dcdmfan wrote: »
    Just seen on Twitter: "@NT_Tortoise: MACBETH directed by @JoeHillGibbins, starring Martin Clunes and Nancy Dell'olio. Playing the Olivier this autumn ahead of a UK tour."

Can that possibly be right? Martin Clunes as the Thane of Cawdor? I know he's talented and has done Shakespeare (although he speaks dismissively of his plays sometimes) but that would be a real stretch. I'd pay to see it, for sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This tweet is a joke. Look up Nancy Dell'olio. It's pretty unlikely...plus there's Harvey coming
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    Can that possibly be right? Martin Clunes as the Thane of Cawdor? I know he's talented and has done Shakespeare (although he speaks dismissively of his plays sometimes) but that would be a real stretch. I'd pay to see it, for sure.

I tweeted the gentleman to verify that he is being serious and he confirmed the veracity. He tweets about London theatre. I thought it might be a joke, but it's not apparently.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    This tweet is a joke. Look up Nancy Dell'olio. It's pretty unlikely...plus there's Harvey coming

You could be right. I didn't really follow up, but it looked like the guy tweets about London theatre, but maybe it is a joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tweeted the gentleman to verify that he is being serious and he confirmed the veracity. He tweets about London theatre. I thought it might be a joke, but it's not apparently.

Conniej and a lot of us wondered about Harvey. Those rehearsals were to start in September. And This Nancy Dell'orio isn't really an actress. She's kind of a skank...from what I see. Not Martin's cuppa. But if someone can verify..........
  • Options
    lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member

The Oliver theater doesn't list it.

http://www.nationaltheatre.org.uk/venue/olivier-theatre

nor does the schedule of Shakespeare plays

http://www.touchstone.bham.ac.uk/performance/shakespeare%20productions.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

The tweet was a joke. Sorry for the misunderstanding. :confused::o:confused:
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    A little off topic, but did anyone see "The Making of a Lady" on Sunday night? The cast featured MC's old friend Joanna Lumley, Linus Roache of Law and Order, and "Clive Tishell" playing the butler!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    Just watched a repeat on PBS of the episode of series 5 where Louisa decides that she and JH are going to move to London with M. At the end is where Louisa returns from an evening out to overhear M reading from a medical journal to JH. Hint to fanfic folks...it would be interesting to read a short ficlet of what happens later that evening :D.

That episode seemed to to be a turning point in some sense. They seemed a lot more comfortable with each other despite some minor bickering. Even the look in their eyes toward each other seemed calm. The non-verbal expressions make me think "things" were going on. My impression is that they were growing close again (only to blow it over the next several episodes).
  • Options
    ZarwenZarwen Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    I really liked the first half of s5. The real turning point is at the end of e4: "Don't tell Martin."
  • Options
    SusieSagitariusSusieSagitarius Posts: 1,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Zarwen wrote: »
    I really liked the first half of s5. The real turning point is at the end of e4: "Don't tell Martin."

Yes, that was a shocking moment.
  • Options
    marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Great picture of MC and CC on Facebook. They are going to be in an ITV production of "Arthur and George". It's the story of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and others with a strong plot line of Arthur and his first wife and his platonic love for another woman while his first wife was still alive. After the first wife died Sir Arthur has 3 children with his former "mistress" so all bets were off. Should be around sometime 2015. The picture that goes with the story is very sexy and humorous. Both of them are gorgeous!

I am in the midst of reading Arthur & George in which MC will play Arthur Conan Doyle (educated to be an opthalmologist but then a writer of Sherlock Holmes stories amongst his other interests), and CC will play his mistress Jean Leckie, who when they first meet agree to this platonic love relationship. (MC and CC have honed their skills at playing a platonic relationship to a new art form during the DM series!) Hopefully, this ITV production doesn't pick up the storyline at the point where this relationship starts, but also develops the character of George Edalji. The book spends almost the first half developing Arthur and George characters and is an important component to the storyline. Without giving away more, I can now only guess how Arthur and George eventually meet.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 323
    Forum Member
    marchrand wrote: »
    I am in the midst of reading Arthur & George in which MC will play Arthur Conan Doyle (educated to be an opthalmologist but then a writer of Sherlock Holmes stories amongst his other interests), and CC will play his mistress Jean Leckie, who when they first meet agree to this platonic love relationship. (MC and CC have honed their skills at playing a platonic relationship to a new art form during the DM series!) Hopefully, this ITV production doesn't pick up the storyline at the point where this relationship starts, but also develops the character of George Edalji. The book spends almost the first half developing Arthur and George characters and is an important component to the storyline. Without giving away more, I can now only guess how Arthur and George eventually meet.

I just started reading the book as well. Not very far into it at this point though. Have they said yet who will play George in the ITV production?

P.S. If anyone wants to read my copy when I'm done with it, let me know. I picked up my copy from my local used bookseller and would be happy to pass it along.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    "Arthur Conan Doyle, A Life in Letters" provides a much more accurate description of the Arthur Conan Doyle/Jean Leckie relationship. It was platonic for about 15 minutes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMfan wrote: »
    "Arthur Conan Doyle, A Life in Letters" provides a much more accurate description of the Arthur Conan Doyle/Jean Leckie relationship. It was platonic for about 15 minutes.

Yay...even better
This discussion has been closed.