A Nightmare on Elm Street reboot....take 2

Tony_DanielsTony_Daniels Posts: 3,575
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3192500/New-Nightmare-Elm-Street-film-works-horror-franchise-rebooted-SECOND-time.html

Not sure if this got discussed here at the time, it's odd it came just a few weeks before Craven's death.

The first reboot, the 2010 film, was awful for one reason (okay, more than ONE reason...)- that wasn't Freddy Krueger. Unless they're going to wait for Robert Englund to die or they're going to give the character a complete makeover and lose the trademark fedora hat, stripy sweater and claws then I don't think it's possible to tell the story without Englund's lack of involvement being an enormous distraction to everything.

The actor is the franchise now, for better or worse. As I said, unless they want to go in a totally different direction with the character and change his look and backstory etc, then you can't make a Freddy film without THE Freddy. To do so would distract so much from whatever story it is you're trying to tell.

Comments

• dodradedodrade Posts: 23,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why do they insist on reboots for which there is clearly no demand? Greenlighting Hitman in particular was a ridiculous decision, no one wanted to see it in 2007, why would they change their minds in 2015?
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-3192500/New-Nightmare-Elm-Street-film-works-horror-franchise-rebooted-SECOND-time.html

Not sure if this got discussed here at the time, it's odd it came just a few weeks before Craven's death.

The first reboot, the 2010 film, was awful for one reason (okay, more than ONE reason...)- that wasn't Freddy Krueger. Unless they're going to wait for Robert Englund to die or they're going to give the character a complete makeover and lose the trademark fedora hat, stripy sweater and claws then I don't think it's possible to tell the story without Englund's lack of involvement being an enormous distraction to everything.

The actor is the franchise now, for better or worse. As I said, unless they want to go in a totally different direction with the character and change his look and backstory etc, then you can't make a Freddy film without THE Freddy. To do so would distract so much from whatever story it is you're trying to tell.
    I can see the point of spin offs riding on a name. e.g. The Bourne Legacy. Uses the Bourne name in the title but it's not the same actor that played Bourne as the it's a seperate storyline and character.

People seem to get really upset when a black actor is muted as a possible Bond. They say why just not write a new role for a black MI6 agent instead of using the Bond/007 fanchise.

From what you've wrote in the OP though why would they use the film name and the character name but completely change it?

Even with the Friday 13 reboot although they looked into the characters back story it was still Michael Myers.
  • pearlsandplumspearlsandplums Posts: 29,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought (and i know people hate prequels) that a nightmare on elm street prequel could be great. Freddie's conception (amanda kreuger being locked in the asylum and raped by all the maniacs) and the actual creation of the 'nightmare' (children going missing, freddie being found out and burned in the fire) are horrific and whilst parts of the story are revealed in the original six films, it would be interesting, to me at least, to see it all in one film.

The 2010 remake was terrible BTW
  • kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »

Even with the Friday 13 reboot although they looked into the characters back story it was still Michael Myers.

Mixing up your horror icons there.

I always wanted a prequel as well but losing the fantasy aspects and the pretty dark subject matters it will need to work with probably makes it a fairly unpalatable prospect for a big studio.

The thought of a sanitised prequel is even less appealing.
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always thought (and i know people hate prequels) that a nightmare on elm street prequel could be great. Freddie's conception (amanda kreuger being locked in the asylum and raped by all the maniacs) and the actual creation of the 'nightmare' (children going missing, freddie being found out and burned in the fire) are horrific and whilst parts of the story are revealed in the original six films, it would be interesting, to me at least, to see it all in one film.

The 2010 remake was terrible BTW

I agree with you, I didn't really care about it since Robert Englund wasn't playing Freddy in it. I thought they were going to do a prequel but it's been stuck in development hell I think I remember reading about it a while ago. I would really like a prequel even though what you mentioned has been shown in flashbacks in the dream child and freddy's dead. They should do a prequel or a sequel but not a reboot.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On paper it should be extremely easy to create a new franchise based around the world which Wes Craven created. A child murderer who was burnt to death now haunts the dreams of the children of those who killed him...

It's such an imaginative concept and so intriguing it basically writes itself. The best of the series, Elm Street III: Dream Warriors, could instigate a R rated Maze Runner, Hunger Games type franchise on its own. I'm not even convinced it's a problem recasting Freddy - the big problem with the 2010 remake is it was a rehash with little creative vision or thought put into it.

It could be great, assuming Platinum Dunes do not make it and somebody like James Wan or David Robert Mitchell are interested in the project. I feel Will Poulter would make a good Freddy Krueger. They need somebody with interesting features and ideally young.