Options

Artist or Not?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
Forum Member
Should somebody who only does cover versions of other peoples songs be entitled to be called an Artist? what do you think.
I think not, surely a True Artist should be able to write their own songs or at least Music (preferably both) and play an instrument of some kind.
Guitar, Synth, Piano, whatever, not just rely on copying somebody elses work.

Comments

• Options
    Mr. FahrenheitMr. Fahrenheit Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    An artist is someone who partakes in the ''Arts''.

So technically, singing covers is actually art.

But, in a world that makes sense to all, I wouldn't consider an X Factor act an artist until they put out original music.

It's a difficult question, a contradiction of sorts.
  • Options
    rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    An artist is a person engaged in one or more of any of a broad spectrum of activities related to creating art, practicing the arts and/or demonstrating an art.

You don't need to create the music to be an artist according to this definiton
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's probably loads of people who've mostly done cover versions in their entire singing career.
  • Options
    user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should somebody who only does cover versions of other peoples songs be entitled to be called an Artist? what do you think.
    I think not, surely a True Artist should be able to write their own songs or at least Music (preferably both) and play an instrument of some kind.
    In my reality, an artist is someone who creates art. I can paint by numbers but wouldn't consider myself an artist. Popstars usually rely on a whole team of people from songwriters, choreoghraphers, stylists, producers, pr etc to work together to create an image for them to sell, so most popstars aren't artists in the true sense of the word. A lot of popstars even rely on autotune so can't even claim to be singers.
  • Options
    BatmanLaBatmanBatmanLaBatman Posts: 3,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I couldn't care less whether someone writes, co-writes, is written for or just does covers as long as they bring something of themselves to the piece.

Some people have exceptional voices but their writing skills are nothing to write home about. What makes them any less an artist if they're in some innovative or creative?

If they can do both to a good standard, fine, but personally, if they can't, I'd rather those who are good writers but little more than mediocre singers gave their songs to those who could do them justice and those who are great singers didn't feel the need to subject us to dirges or ditties simply because they wrote them themselves.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Eh, not really. Songwriting and performing are two separate artforms. You don't have to be great or even active in one to be considered great in the other.

Also I'm sure you've just pissed off a lot of professional singers and vocal coaches by suggesting that the voice isn't an instrument.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eh, not really. Songwriting and performing are two separate artforms. You don't have to be great or even active in one to be considered great in the other.

Also I'm sure you've just pissed off a lot of professional singers and vocal coaches by suggesting that the voice isn't an instrument.

It was not my intention to Piss anybody off , I merely asked a valid question and I peronally do not think that a person who only does cover versions can be called an Artist. they can be a good singer, but not an Artist. (in my opinion) :)
    Too many so called pop stars get away with cover versions sung through voice synthesisers and pass themselves off as Artists nowadays. I wasnt aiming it at the Andre Bocellis of this world:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

YES.Some of the best artist are mostly known for their covers of other songs, then their own songs. My favorite example is Joplin.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Andy90 wrote: »
    YES.Some of the best artist are mostly known for their covers of other songs, then their own songs. My favorite example is Joplin.

I asked the qusetion,"Should somebody who only does cover versions of other peoples songs be entitled to be called an Artist"?
    I agree that once someone starts doing their own work they are entitled to the name Artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Singing is an art in itself.

Singers like Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey may not be able to write songs or play instruments, but they've got vocals most people can only dream of. I'd rather hear them brilliantly sing a well written/produced song by someone else than a songwriter/musician do their own mediocre song.

I feel that the voice is the most important part of the art myself. Anything that comes after (songwriting, instrument playing) is a bonus...if not irrelevant.
  • Options
    wkdstepmotherwkdstepmother Posts: 6,563
    Forum Member
    this whole debate is not about whether someone is an artist but more whether you value some art higher than others. Its like the whole Leonardo da Vinci vs modern artists whose work looks like that of a 5 year old - some people think one is more worthy of being called art than the other but the truth is they are both art - its just a question of which you like

For me a singer has to be pretty exceptional, and bring a lot of interpretation to a song for me to be interested in them doing covers (I actually cannot think of one) I like bands who create new music and the singing of it is only one aspect. That is my clear preference in terms of mucisal art - but it doesn't mean that someone who contributes only a voice to a piece is not an artist.
  • Options
    IsItThatDeepIsItThatDeep Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benami311 wrote: »
    Singing is an art in itself.

Singers like Christina Aguilera, Whitney Houston or Mariah Carey may not be able to write songs or play instruments, but they've got vocals most people can only dream of. I'd rather hear them brilliantly sing a well written/produced song by someone else than a songwriter/musician do their own mediocre song.

I feel that the voice is the most important part of the art myself. Anything that comes after (songwriting, instrument playing) is a bonus...if not irrelevant.

Mariah Carey has written lots of songs, not a fan, but give her, her due:)
  • Options
    lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
    Forum Member
    You can't tell me Frank Sinatra was not an artist.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lulu g wrote: »
    You can't tell me Frank Sinatra was not an artist.

He was a painter and decorator from Chicago, Illinois. It's his kind of town ya know!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of classical musicians - piano and violin virtuosos, opera singers etc - have only ever performed "cover versions" of other artists works, are they cast aside by the OP also?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Westlife were created to line Louis Walsh's pockets. They were just five (now four) big male voices singing other people's tunes. There's nothing really creative about them, and their 'success' back in 2000 was not down to hard work but sheer marketability to the teenage demographic. The same can be said for anyone who came out of a 'singing competiton' (except Leona Lewis who IMO could've got her big break without a singing competition).
  • Options
    researchshirleyresearchshirley Posts: 2,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Traditionally some of the best recording artists haven't necessarily written their own songs, so no, I don't think you have to generate your own music to make good music.

There are certainly some singers who many would feel don't deserve the title of Artist but that's an impossible one to quantify.
  • Options
    jediknight2k1jediknight2k1 Posts: 6,892
    Forum Member
    Regardless if their singing cover version or not then you still have to sing in tune with music which not everybody can do. The resident Brazil nut showed that every week :D
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Westlife were created to line Louis Walsh's pockets. They were just five (now four) big male voices singing other people's tunes. There's nothing really creative about them, and their 'success' back in 2000 was not down to hard work but sheer marketability to the teenage demographic. The same can be said for anyone who came out of a 'singing competiton' (except Leona Lewis who IMO could've got her big break without a singing competition).

Wow, so everyone who's come out of a singing competition, bar Leona, is comparable to Westlife - ah well, I found out a while ago being so narrowed minded about music does cause you to miss out on some stuff you might really like. My following a singer/songwriter who won one such competition has introduced me, apart from his own pre Idol music, to so many bands, albums and musicians that I'd have completely missed out on, talented, but unknown musicians outside their own area.

Sometimes, decent, hardworking and talented people will get their break this way, not everyone is a fame hungry karaoke singer, just like everyone isn't a talented musician looking for a break.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,329
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In my very humble opinion, the best female vocalist of all time was Ella Fitzgerald. She was AMAZING!!! Her vocal ability was second to none and she remains, all these years after her death, an absolute LEGEND!!!!!

...she didn't compose a note in her life and spent her entire career covering already popular songs...yet I defy ANYONE not to call her an Artist!!!!

Singing and composing are completely seperate skills and different forms of artistry. You don't have to be an expert in both to be considered an artist!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perdita_x wrote: »
    In my very humble opinion, the best female vocalist of all time was Ella Fitzgerald. She was AMAZING!!! Her vocal ability was second to none and she remains, all these years after her death, an absolute LEGEND!!!!!

...she didn't compose a note in her life and spent her entire career covering already popular songs...yet I defy ANYONE not to call her an Artist!!!!

Singing and composing are completely seperate skills and different forms of artistry. You don't have to be an expert in both to be considered an artist!!!
    *raises hand* I call her a vocalist, not an artist. Being a great vocalist is an achievement to be proud of but it doesn't automatically make you an artist. An artist for me, is someone like Joni Mitchell who writes her own songs, composes her own music and creates her own Artwork.

Diferentiating between been a vocalist and being an artist does not take away from the vocalist's abilities but calling everyone who has a gift in one area, does devalue those who are gifted in many areas.
    If I enjoy a song, I'm gonna enjoy it whether or not the person singing it wrote it or not. However, if I'm giving credit for the amount someone contributed to the song, I honestly think those who write, compose and sing their own songs get more credit than those who sing alone.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 406
    Forum Member
    but calling everyone who has a gift in one area, does devalue those who are gifted in many areas.

So Van Gogh was'nt an artist because all he did was paint, he did'nt sculpt also?

Mozart was'nt an artist because he did'nt sing or do his own album covers?

Convinced of the ridiculousness of your position yet?
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    *raises hand* I call her a vocalist, not an artist. Being a great vocalist is an achievement to be proud of but it doesn't automatically make you an artist. An artist for me, is someone like Joni Mitchell who writes her own songs, composes her own music and creates her own Artwork.

Diferentiating between been a vocalist and being an artist does not take away from the vocalist's abilities but calling everyone who has a gift in one area, does devalue those who are gifted in many areas.
    If I enjoy a song, I'm gonna enjoy it whether or not the person singing it wrote it or not. However, if I'm giving credit for the amount someone contributed to the song, I honestly think those who write, compose and sing their own songs get more credit than those who sing alone.

But surely the interpretation of the lyrics and melody by a talented vocalist is in itself an art form. There's many, many reknowned singers who've never written a note/word themselves, but a brilliant interpretation of a song is, in itself, IMO an art.

Having great skill in a number of areas is great, but it doesn't diminish those whose primary skills are in one particular area
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think we are in the realms of semantics now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    grendel wrote: »
    So Van Gogh was'nt an artist because all he did was paint, he did'nt sculpt also?

Mozart was'nt an artist because he did'nt sing or do his own album covers?

Convinced of the ridiculousness of your position yet?
    I'm not talking about all artists over all time, just what we consider to be artists in the context of music in our lifetime.
    if I'm giving credit for the amount someone contributed to the song, I honestly think those who write, compose and sing their own songs get more credit than those who sing alone.
    There's nothing ridiculous about given more credit to people who contribute more.
    But surely the interpretation of the lyrics and melody by a talented vocalist is in itself an art form. There's many, many reknowned singers who've never written a note/word themselves, but a brilliant interpretation of a song is, in itself, IMO an art.

Having great skill in a number of areas is great, but it doesn't diminish those whose primary skills are in one particular area
    Let me put it to you like this. I have a knack for taking clothes and altering them. I'm really good at it and do it for my friends all the time, which I consider a compliament to my abilities. However, if I was to claim to be a designer my friends would look at me like I had ten heads and I wouldn't be insulted because I agree with them. I can bring unique alterations to something that already exists but I can't design clothes from scratch, therefore, while I do have talent, I am not a designer.

I feel the same about music. I've said before that being a great vocalist is a talent to be proud of but as creating a song from scratch is far more challenging than adding an interpretation to one which already exists, there is a difference between being a vocalist and an artist. It's just the way I see things and it doesn't make a great vocalist any less so.