Options

Meant to be going to London tomorrow

Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Me and my family are going on a break to London tomorrow until Saturday and I am just wondering if it is sensible bearing in mind what is going on with the riots. We are travelling to Victoria and staying in South Kensington. Most of the activities we are doing will be in central London and we are travelling back from St Pancras on Saturday. Basically I am just wanting advice on whether or not we should go and if we do go, are we likely to be safe. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    You should be fine if you stay away from the affected areas.

Check for transport news below.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/livetravelnews/realtime/tube/default.html
  • Options
    RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you steer clear of all the sinkhole areas of London you'll be fine :o
  • Options
    humdrummerhumdrummer Posts: 4,487
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    None of the areas you've mentioned have been affected and they are unlikely to be as well. When I checked this morning only one station was still closed, Ealing Broadway, and the Tramlink is shut but you wouldn't be using that anyway.

That was earlier, so things may have changed, but I'm being completely honest, if it were me I would still go as during the day and as I said before, the area you are in, there's no trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your replies. We're definitely going to go then and just be on the extra careful side.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 387
    Forum Member
    South Kensington should be safer than most places as there are a fair number of embassies in the area and they have diplomatic security which (could) involve armed personnel (you didn't hear that from me ;))
  • Options
    BrunoStreeteBrunoStreete Posts: 7,180
    Forum Member

Like Clapham you mean?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *shakes fist at rioters*
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That South Ken area seems failry safe, as said!

I'm supposed to be going Ealing thursday ......will be watching news next 2 days .........

...... interestingly, seems the police knew well in advance .... there was a dispersion order 3rd August! There's been one for central ealing for a while.

http://www.ealingtoday.co.uk/default.asp?section=info&page=eapitshangercrime002.htm
  • Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also read that precuationary measures are being taken in The CIty of London ...... but that's not residential, and largely deserted at night!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    I also read that precuationary measures are being taken in The CIty of London ...... but that's not residential, and largely deserted at night!

Indeed, the stock market is taking hammering as it is, mainly due to uncertainties with the US economy, so to have areas of the financial district of London go up in flames would be yet another nail in the coffin.
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to jump in on this thread.....

My girlfriend is coming down from Watford this saturday to Thanet for the day via the train, she will be starting out from Carpenders Park, obv going to Victoria then onto Ramsgate will she be safe? and is it advisable for her to come down? she did say South Oxhey where she lives have shut the precinct as apparently 500 are meeting up for a riot tonight.

I wish this rioting would stop now :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry to jump in on this thread.....

My girlfriend is coming down from Watford this saturday to Thanet for the day via the train, she will be starting out from Carpenders Park, obv going to Victoria then onto Ramsgate will she be safe? and is it advisable for her to come down? she did say South Oxhey where she lives have shut the precinct as apparently 500 are meeting up for a riot tonight.

I wish this rioting would stop now :(

The only problem would be if any part of her journey involves going through an area where rioting is taking place. If this is the case, alternative travel arrangements will be put in place wherever possible, which may add to journey times, but will usually not be chargeable on top of the 'standard' fares already in place.
  • Options
    slipstream42slipstream42 Posts: 2,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    The only problem would be if any part of her journey involves going through an area where rioting is taking place. If this is the case, alternative travel arrangements will be put in place wherever possible, which may add to journey times, but will usually not be chargeable on top of the 'standard' fares already in place.

Shouldn't be too bad its a straight run for her really, might be a bit of faffing about at Victoria getting the train down to here but tbh in my eyes she would be safer down here because no where in Thanet has there been any riots or looting due to the fact its a poor area, thats my take on it anyway either that or people actually have sense around here which surprises me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will be fine. I was in central London today and everything is running as normal. Just take care and be aware of everything
  • Options
    Velvet GloveVelvet Glove Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was staying in Hampstead until this morning, and the centre of London is absolutely fine, especially during the day. Your hotel should be able to advise you re: transport and safer areas.
  • Options
    Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spiney2 wrote: »

They're not really, I left work at the usual time, although did have the option to leave whenever I wanted to.

Central London has been quiet tonight, and in daylight it's still as busy as usual.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    Me and my family are going on a break to London tomorrow until Saturday and I am just wondering if it is sensible bearing in mind what is going on with the riots. We are travelling to Victoria and staying in South Kensington. Most of the activities we are doing will be in central London and we are travelling back from St Pancras on Saturday. Basically I am just wanting advice on whether or not we should go and if we do go, are we likely to be safe. Thanks in advance.

So how did it go then?
  • Options
    gertrude hubblegertrude hubble Posts: 1,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooh yes I wanted to know as well as the kids want to go to London before they go back to school.
  • Options
    kizziekizzie Posts: 5,756
    Forum Member

What like Enfield town :confused:

Not all sink areas had problems either don't be so snobby ;)

Last bit edited as didn't see it was a old thread :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi All,
    I got back from London in one piece on Saturday and I'm so glad I didn't let the riots put me off from going as I witnessed no trouble whatsoever in the areas I visited. The only thing I did see was a couple of damaged buildings in Sloane Square that looked like they could have been a target of the riots. I honestly couldn't have felt any safer in South Kensington as the accommodation we stayed in was being used as a base for the various Police forces so each morning we would get up to around 30 police vans parked on the site! All in all a great time was had. Thanks again for everybody's advice on this thread. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7
    Forum Member
    no worries honestly, i have travelled up there since and i have had no problems what so ever! The main problem is the media stirring things up! enjoy
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Glad you trip went ok.

We're off to London this weekend, theatre at the Apollo and staying at the Cavendish, so right in the heart of the west End
    Any good restaurant recomendations in the area? I know there's hundereds, would like to get some personal tips:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,333
    Forum Member
    I also travelled down from Macclesfield 09/08 and was petrified given the news on the evening of the 8th, especially as I stayed in Ealing!!

I didn't see a sniff of any trouble and thankfully Ealing Broadway was open again early morning 09/08.

I had all my theatre tickets booked and I was determined the louts weren't going to ruin my trip! :mad: :D I had a great time in the end :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    Hi All,
    I got back from London in one piece on Saturday and I'm so glad I didn't let the riots put me off from going as I witnessed no trouble whatsoever in the areas I visited. The only thing I did see was a couple of damaged buildings in Sloane Square that looked like they could have been a target of the riots. I honestly couldn't have felt any safer in South Kensington as the accommodation we stayed in was being used as a base for the various Police forces so each morning we would get up to around 30 police vans parked on the site! All in all a great time was had. Thanks again for everybody's advice on this thread. :)

No problem. You could easily pass through London and not have an inkling of any of the trouble going on at a ground level. The riots were bad obviously, but London is huge.