Team GB are rubbish - 0 golds!!!

Comments

• jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Meepers wrote: »
    The IOC were very cool on Rio bids too for years, and then changed their mind very quickly. Same with Istanbul, which is now a favourite for 2020.

Quite the opposite, in fact the IOC changed their selection criteria regarding the Olympic stadium in order to help their bid at a very early stage.
  • jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    If Europe hold a Summer Olympics on average every 12 years, the likes of Madrid, Paris, Berlin, Rome, Moscow are all likely to hold it before London & then you throw in up & coming cities like Istanbul & Kiev it's very easy to see why it may very well be the 21st Century before the Games are in Britain again.

You have to take into account the Winter games as well though which are just as popular in most of these countries as the Summer games. Italy had them in Turin in 2006. Russia will have it in 2014 and France is likely to make another bid for them too. That brings London up the pecking order in regards the Summer games.
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    You have to take into account the Winter games as well though which are just as popular in most of these countries as the Summer games. Italy had them in Turin in 2006. Russia will have it in 2014 and France is likely to make another bid for them too. That brings London up the pecking order in regards the Summer games.

I don't think this has much of a bearing TBH. The IOC like to share the Winter Games around along with the Summer Games but I think they are viewed pretty much as 2 different entities. If Moscow were to bid for the 2024 Summer Games I think that bid would succeed or fail on its own merits - I don't think the fact that Sochi held the games just 10 years before would go against it much. In fact a succesful gmes may actually help more than anything else.
  • MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    jake lyle wrote: »

Not really, the scope of number of hosts for hosting Winter Games is vastly smaller than for Summer Games, you will always be limited to a small percentage of the world, whereas the summer Games can be held just about anywhere. The IOC have not to date shown a bias for Summer hosts against those who host Winter too. In the last decade, you have Summer and Winter Games conscutively on the same continent, to show the continental balance is less important too. Indeed 2 of the 3 bidders in the final list for 2020 are in Asia, which also hosts the 2018 Winter Games.

London has hosted it 3 times, which no one else has, which has far far more effect, as every other bidder will argue why should London host it 4 times when no other city has even held it 3 times. The force of that is so strong it pushes London easily into the 22nd century before it will host again
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,661
    Forum Member
    Don't think I've been in this part of the forum since the end of the games!

But watching SPOTY brought back all the memories we had. :(

Thought this needed one last bump too, Team GB only managed to win team of the year! How rubbish are they?! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I did think it totally spoilt SPOTY 2012 giving all these sympathy awards to Olympians when we all know they were really pretty rubbish ;)

Meantime all the other proper sports people such as the many gifted footballers were overlooked.

Even Mario Balotelli missed out on the overseas award to that rubbish sprinter Usain Bolt.. :(

Most rubbish SPOTY ever.
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    indiana44 wrote: »
    I did think it totally spoilt SPOTY 2012 giving all these sympathy awards to Olympians when we all know they were really pretty rubbish ;)

Meantime all the other proper sports people such as the many gifted footballers were overlooked.

Yes, there were plenty of big achievers overlooked. What about the swimmer Hannah Miley, who has been literally hoovering up bronze medals at the European and World short-course Championships but whose achievements were just too late in the year for the public to recognise? Or indeed the rest of the British swimming team, whose magnificent fluency in their post-swim interviews with Sharron Davies showed that the traditional British art of excuse-making after a flop was still being honoured? Or Kop goal king Andy Carroll who ended last season emphatically in double figures? Or a team award for Glasgow Rangers FC, who very sportingly restrained themselves from winning all their games against the likes of Montrose and East Stirlingshire? Or manager of the year award for Roy Hodgson, who so convincingly led England out of the group stages in the European Championships?
  • Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Even Mario Balotelli missed out on the overseas award to that rubbish sprinter Usain Bolt.. :(

Most rubbish SPOTY ever.

Ridiculous - they finished 3rd at the Olympics & Paralympics.

Losers. Rubbish. :eek:
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Most rubbish SPOTY ever.

i was there last night, at one point the whole crowed were waving torches in the air in protest, but the bbc made it look like it was a special effect....:mad:
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    i was there last night, at one point the whole crowed were waving torches in the air in protest, but the bbc made it look like it was a special effect....:mad:

Yeah, they all turned their backs on the stage when the football was on, that's how bored they were.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of our rubbish gymnasts just embarrassed himself on Strictly Come Dancing I see...:mad:
  • FluffyBunnykinsFluffyBunnykins Posts: 3,934
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So many losers given awards by the Queen. Is this the sporting equivalent of giving them a lollipop as a condolence prize? :mad:
  • lotsobearlotsobear Posts: 432
    Forum Member
    At times when I wish I could have been living in "better times" like the 1960s/1970s etc, the 2012 Olympics is one of the very few things that has made me glad to be a very young person in the 2010s decade. :)
  • TheEngineerTheEngineer Posts: 7,789
    Forum Member
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Ridiculous - they finished 3rd at the Olympics & Paralympics.

Losers. Rubbish. :eek:

Oh come on - we like a plucky loser.
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lotsobear wrote: »
    At times when I wish I could have been living in "better times" like the 1960s/1970s etc, the 2012 Olympics is one of the very few things that has made me glad to be a very young person in the 2010s decade. :)

Britain has been far more successful over the last 12 years in the Olympics than we ever were in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s. For all the sterling efforts of the likes of Lynn Davies, David Wilkie, or Daley Thompson, Team GB performed very poorly in relation to the rest of the major sporting nations from the late 1920s to the end of the 1990s. We now live in a golden era for British sport at 'The Greatest Show On Earth' :)
  • FroodFrood Posts: 13,180
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cray1975 wrote: »
    Britain has been far more successful over the last 12 years in the Olympics than we ever were in the 1960s, 1970s or 1980s. For all the sterling efforts of the likes of Lynn Davies, David Wilkie, or Daley Thompson, Team GB performed very poorly in relation to the rest of the major sporting nations from the late 1920s to the end of the 1990s. We now live in a golden era for British sport at 'The Greatest Show On Earth' :)

Indeed.

I can recall many Games when the question was "when will GB win its 1st medal?"

Often the answer was well into the first week.
  • cray1975cray1975 Posts: 591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Frood wrote: »
    Indeed.

I can recall many Games when the question was "when will GB win its 1st medal?"

Often the answer was well into the first week.

Thank god for lottery funding. Mere mention of first weeks in say Barcelona or Atlanta bring me out in a cold sweat :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FFS, zero medals so far this year!
  • bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Has the GB squad increased? I think I heard we had a short track speed skater.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,505
    Forum Member
    I can remember when this thread was made thinking it would run and run but my has it ran, almost deserves a medal...
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LMAO this thread is STILL going on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    More than 6 months without an Olympic Gold Medal.

What are Team GB thinking?

Bunch of losers:mad::mad::mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    I'd actually just been thinking that. Indeed more than 6 months without any Olympic medal.

And, to be honest, I can see this going on for quite some time into the future. We really are so rubbish ! :mad:
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,983
    Forum Member
    Why haven't our cyclists,rowers and athletes won anything since.

Damm them..it was clearly a false dawn!

That Wiggo seems to be crashing all the time...boo!

;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    btw - I took a look at the OPs profile.

Hasn't posted since early August last year.

Also one of the "the Olympics are a waste of time and money, nobody wants them" brigade.

When you are that wrong it's probably best to head for the hills:rolleyes: