REAL fans

leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Following leicesters promotion to the premier league so called fans are showing their loyalty to the badge by snapping up tickets to games and are going to buy season tickets for the forthcoming premier league season. Fans who have never been to a game. Where were the same fans when they went down to the third tier for the first time in their history and where will they will be if they get relegated. There are too many glory hunters. REAL FANS are those who stand by their team through good times and bad.

Comments

• kingjeremykingjeremy Posts: 9,077
    Forum Member
    Fans moaning about glory supporters sitting at home watching [insert big club here] instead of going to watch their local team.

Fans moaning when said people start actually buying tickets and going to games.
  • Tel69Tel69 Posts: 26,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    Following leicesters promotion to the premier league so called fans are showing their loyalty to the badge by snapping up tickets to games and are going to buy season tickets for the forthcoming premier league season. Fans who have never been to a game. Where were the same fans when they went down to the third tier for the first time in their history and where will they will be if they get relegated. There are too many glory hunters. REAL FANS are those who stand by their team through good times and bad.

How do you know they've never been to a game? How do you know they aren't real fans? You've made a lot of sweeping generalisations.
  • AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about every club that gets relegated or plays in the Championship then is suddenly promoted or has some success suddenly gains lots of fans and sell out stadiums.

Case in point this weekend. Gateshead - avg attendance below 800. They've sold 7,000 tickets for a play off semi final this Sunday
  • SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I see your point to a degree, But any extra income and positive attention a club receives is always going to be welcome, Do you long for your team to fall out of the league system so you may become the ultimate real fan?
  • Astra 1AAstra 1A Posts: 1,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Good luck surviving in the PL with 3rd division gates and the income that would bring in. ;-)

Are we also applying this to potential 'glory hunter' new players for now being interested in playing for Leicester but not when you were in the 3rd tier.

Enjoy it while it lasts, my team Oldham were achieving gates of 16-19000 in the early 90's - we now barely scrape 3000 home fans - the atmosphere and the enjoyment of most games now stink - i'd quite happily take a few thousand glory hunters if it accompanied a promotion season.
  • JoooeJoooe Posts: 8,656
    Forum Member
    It's frustrating, but you have to look at it as a chance to gain more long-term supporters.

As long as your club has some sort of loyalty system for the most attractive away days, the added crowd is a good thing.
  • JanielovesyouJanielovesyou Posts: 814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How many tickets are Real getting for Lisbon ?
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No such thing as "real" fans, Its just something made up by lower league fans to make them feel important and try and talk down to the fans of the more successful clubs
  • CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,216
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sometimes you have to pick and choose your games. Not everyone can afford to go to all games or woek and other commitments may get in the way. We used to go to a lot of Millwall games but not so many nowadays. However, husband and two sons have gone today. Husband will have to come home and go back to bed so he can work tonight and one son has got a train back from University, met them at the ground and will get a train back to carry on his revision for his final exams. They couldn't do it every week. Hell, we couldn't afford to go every week. It doesnt make us any less real fans having been going for 20 yeaes.
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on about the hardcore supporters who follow their side no matter what division they are in. The glory hunters are those who have a wiff of success and all of a sudden they are their number one fans but havent been to a single game and are only fair weather supporters who at the first sign of it going belly up desert
  • BoselectaBoselecta Posts: 1,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wait 'til you sign some Korean/Japanese players too - you'll have several hundred extra far Eastern tourists at every game home and away too on top of incessant visits from every bleeding supporters' club branch from EVERY point in the nation and globe). You should do a sweepstake on which Scandinavian flag you'll spot first on opening day next season..... I'll go for a Danish one with "Aalborg Foxes on Tour" on it
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am on about the hardcore supporters who follow their side no matter what division they are in. The glory hunters are those who have a wiff of success and all of a sudden they are their number one fans but havent been to a single game and are only fair weather supporters who at the first sign of it going belly up desert

Our gates at Pompey aren't much lower in League 2 than they were in the Premiership.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Give me strength!

We're Leicester City, trust me if you wanted to be a glory hunter and jump on a bandwagon you wouldn't tie yourself to this club.;-)

I was there in the 80's when there were less than 10000 regulars, going to away games when football supporters were treated like scum and not a 'Customer'. I don't go as much as I used to but I've proved my loyalty, forced off a coach two hours before kick off standing in the snow at an open end at Eastville only then to see a pathetic capitulation. Dragging myself out of bed with flu to watch an FA Cup tie with Burton Albion (spending half the match throwing up in the gents) which was eventually anulled. I could go on.
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member

Happens. At every club an afraid, since Leeds were relegated from
    Premier league we haven't had Japanese tourists at every home game or glory hunters with about 10 kids in tow
  • blitzben85blitzben85 Posts: 3,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ShaunIOW wrote: »
    Our gates at Pompey aren't much lower in League 2 than they were in the Premiership.

Is that chuffin' bell ringer still going ? My god, after 10 minutes of that, it sends me loopy even when watching on the t.v.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,564
    Forum Member

So you don't want bigger gates in the Premier League then?
  • DirtyBarrySpeedDirtyBarrySpeed Posts: 1,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't believe in this day and age there are still people huffing and puffing about how a fan should support a team.

Who genuinely gives a sh!t if a fan only wants to watch their team play against the top clubs. Not every fan can afford to go to a game or chooses to go to a game.
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The glory hunters are those who have a wiff of success and all of a sudden they are their number one fans but havent been to a single game and are only fair weather supporters who at the first sign of it going belly up desert

If them not going to a game is bad, shouldn't you welcome them buying tickets now rather than whinging that you were into the band before they went all mainstream?

I'm sure it'd be great if you didn't get any new fans as a result of success, you could pride yourself on how real and authentic you are as you enjoy all the free space in the stadium now reserved for the sanctimonious only as you slip down the divisions wondering why.
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the fella who thought they were all set to cock up promotion while on a 16 game unbeaten run, and they have ended up with 102 pts?
  • leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Isn't this the fella who thought they were all set to cock up promotion while on a 16 game unbeaten run, and they have ended up with 102 pts?
    I have held my hands up and said that my fears was unfounded about leicester stumbling. It shows that i am passionate about my club who wants their team to succeed. What i am trying to say is that every club up and down the country have die hard supporters who follow their club regardless of what division they are playing in. They share in their teams joy of being promoted and equally despair when they are relegated. There are some who when they are doing well they have the clubs scarf round their neck but when things go pear shaped they go quiet.
  • FireincairoFireincairo Posts: 113
    Forum Member
    What i am trying to say
    Im pretty sure we all get what youre trying to say, just not sure WHY youre saying it. Is it just to vent some frustration? Is it to make a point? Is it to say youre a better fan than everyone else?
  • alanrollinsalanrollins Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have held my hands up and said that my fears was unfounded about leicester stumbling. It shows that i am passionate about my club who wants their team to succeed. What i am trying to say is that every club up and down the country have die hard supporters who follow their club regardless of what division they are playing in. They share in their teams joy of being promoted and equally despair when they are relegated. There are some who when they are doing well they have the clubs scarf round their neck but when things go pear shaped they go quiet.

There are an awful lot of people who support their club passionately without feeling the need to keep on about being somehow being better than their other fellow supporters.
  • TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    I don't go to that many Liverpool games. The tickets are expensive and it's hard to get a good match on general sale, and as I'm not a season ticket holder I have to feed off the scraps, which there are hardly any. I tried to get a ticket for the Newcastle game. The tickets were sold out mere 4 hours after it went on general sale.

The season tickets themselves are hard to get, people get put on massive waiting lists. Are they lesser fans because they're not buying tickets, due to the waiting list? Am I a lesser fan because I mainly go to cup games? Do I gain any loyalty points back since I live quite close to Anfield stadium?

I wouldn't want Liverpool to just have 100% loyal fans, anyway. We wouldn't be where we are without our fanbase from all over the world, with people supporting us because of the 2005 CL victory. If we only had local fans going to games we'd be sliding down the divisions. And not just because there are more Everton fans from Liverpool than there are Liverpool fans.
  • DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always have a lot of admiration for those who support teams such as Bury, Rochdale, Tranmere, Brentford, Orient and the like - small teams where there is a very successful large club nearby. Even more so when they spend a lot of money traipsing from one end of the country to the other to watch them get stuffed.

It must be very easy to support a nearby "glamour" club in these circumstances.
  • ShaunIOWShaunIOW Posts: 11,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheMunch wrote: »
    I don't go to that many Liverpool games. The tickets are expensive and it's hard to get a good match on general sale, and as I'm not a season ticket holder I have to feed off the scraps, which there are hardly any. I tried to get a ticket for the Newcastle game. The tickets were sold out mere 4 hours after it went on general sale.

The season tickets themselves are hard to get, people get put on massive waiting lists. Are they lesser fans because they're not buying tickets, due to the waiting list? Am I a lesser fan because I mainly go to cup games? Do I gain any loyalty points back since I live quite close to Anfield stadium?

I wouldn't want Liverpool to just have 100% loyal fans, anyway. We wouldn't be where we are without our fanbase from all over the world, with people supporting us because of the 2005 CL victory. If we only had local fans going to games we'd be sliding down the divisions. And not just because there are more Everton fans from Liverpool than there are Liverpool fans.

A true supporter wouldn't care who their team were playing as its their team they're going to see not the opposition and it shouldn't matter if it were Man Utd or Mansfield, where as a glory hunter or fair weather supporter only wants to see the big matches which is what annoys those who go every week then find they can't get a ticket.