Options

Hudl 3

MileymooMileymoo Posts: 118
Forum Member
Does anyone know if there's going to be a Hudl3?, and will it come before Christmas?. My son has the first Hudl and it's still going strong, it's just got the smaller screen and purple!, so i'd like to upgrade it for him. I've had a quick Google and nothing concrete to be found.

Comments

• Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have just (like the last couple of weeks) released a new Android update for the Hudl 2, one that no one thought would ever come.

That may suggest that Tesco plans to keep the 2 going for a bit longer yet.
  • Options
    kevin88kevin88 Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the Hudl 3 might be just round the corner. My local tesco seems to have reduced the prices on all the Hudl 2 accessories and the display models appear to have been took off the hudl display. Bar one that is in the Tesco mobile store at the back of the store.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought I read that Tesco were current back on the development of new products like the Hudl. Having said that, they have brought out the Connect range of Windows tablets.
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The company isn't doing particularly well- they have cancelled new store openings and have started closing some 24 hr stores at midnight to save cash.

That doesn't mean we won't see a Hudl 3, but only if it is profitable. I can't see Tesco subsidising it.
  • Options
    MileymooMileymoo Posts: 118
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your replies, I suppose if it doesn't appear in the next couple of weeks there won't be a new one this side of Christmas. I'll be happy enough with the Hudl 2, the first one has served us well enough.
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,964
    Forum Member
    Tesco may be in no rush to release a new budget tablet, especially as Amazon is releasing cheap tablets, some with retro specs. The tablet tech specs war may be slowing down because pundits predict that phablets will take over. There will be less investment.
  • Options
    TankyTanky Posts: 3,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like bad news, as Hudl 3 may never be released. Of course, it's still a rumour and they could very well be keeping it all secret. However it's still looks like Tesco might be abandoning it, as some people online have said Tesco, aren't making enough from the tablet. Plus they responded with "no plans to release a Hudl 3".

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/tablets/tesco-hudl-3-release-date-rumours-tablet-uk-3618856/

I was hoping to get a new Hudl 3 too, as I will need it for job presentations early next year, and the Hudl was in my price range. I guess I'll have to settle for a Hudl 2, as I was hope a Hudl 3 would have upgrade specs; better CPU, more RAM, better Cameras and more storage memory than 16GB.
  • Options
    asmasm Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    The HUDL tablets were mainly designed to sell Blinkbox services, and Tesco no longer owns Blinkbox, so I would be very surprised if they bring out a new HUDL.
  • Options
    clonmultclonmult Posts: 3,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As it stands, the Hudl 2 is the spec/performance tablet bargain of the year. Nothing else comes close to its performance and spec for the price.

Even the camera on it isn't too bad.

I'm almost tempted to buy one to keep as a backup in case one of ours dies.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    clonmult wrote: »
    As it stands, the Hudl 2 is the spec/performance tablet bargain of the year. Nothing else comes close to its performance and spec for the price.

Even the camera on it isn't too bad.

I'm almost tempted to buy one to keep as a backup in case one of ours dies.
    I think that is overstating the case a bit. For me, the greatest benefit of the Hudl is the support: if it's not working you got into a Tesco and they swap it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    I think that is overstating the case a bit. For me, the greatest benefit of the Hudl is the support: if it's not working you got into a Tesco and they swap it.

That seems to depend on the person you talk to on the phone; I had to send mine up country somewhere (they did at least pay for collection).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »

What device comes close to the same performance with similar screen quality for the price? Nothing.
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is probably plenty of life left in the Hudl 2, so no need to replace it. Economy of scale means Tesco can lower the price and still get a margin, so it's win win for everyone.

Not everyone needs anything more than what is offered on this. It has a good screen, great audio and acceptable battery life. If it got Android Marshmallow, the battery would be improved immensely too.

Tablets are often left lying on a table, so the Doze feature would hardly any battery drain when left alone. On my Nexus 5 with no movement, it dropped from 55% to 40% in 48 hours. But phones aren't usually used the same way as a tablet.

Question now is if Tesco will ever bring Android 6 to the Hudl2. If it does, it could easily sell the Hudl2 into 2016.

(Another improvement would be from being able to add an SD card that becomes part of the internal storage and would get rid of the need to copy apps to the SD card. It would become one single contiguous storage.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If Google can sell a two year old phone as a flagship (the Nexus 5, until it was replaced a couple of weeks ago), I'm sure Tesco can do the same with this.

It's not as if budget tablet technology has made a quantum leap.

I remain hopeful of Marshmellow. It doesn't have to take them a year to come out with it, if Tesco is willing to pay for it
  • Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having taken the step to go to 5.1.1, it may well be a sign that Tesco is working on it. It's not usual for a company to skip a version, and even before 5.1.1 came to mine there was a smaller update that appeared to prepare for it.

So, it could well be that 5.1.1 makes it relatively easy for the next update - although I don't wish to build up hopes. It doesn't mean there definitely is another update coming. However, the Hudl2 isn't 18 months old yet so if it follows Google's advice there should be an update.
  • Options
    PlayamontePlayamonte Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tanky wrote: »
    Looks like bad news, as Hudl 3 may never be released. Of course, it's still a rumour and they could very well be keeping it all secret. However it's still looks like Tesco might be abandoning it, as some people online have said Tesco, aren't making enough from the tablet. Plus they responded with "no plans to release a Hudl 3".

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/new-product/tablets/tesco-hudl-3-release-date-rumours-tablet-uk-3618856/

I was hoping to get a new Hudl 3 too, as I will need it for job presentations early next year, and the Hudl was in my price range. I guess I'll have to settle for a Hudl 2, as I was hope a Hudl 3 would have upgrade specs; better CPU, more RAM, better Cameras and more storage memory than 16GB.

Yes I was thinking along the same lines as our Hudl 1 has seen better days & has been very reliable to date (would just prefer a bigger screen) So rather than go for a 2 I was thinking hold on a little for a 3 as its odds on that it would be a winner for a few years if it arrives ?
    Popped a thread up about the Samsung Tab E that Tesco also sell but there seems to be little info/feedback about that tab although it is in the price range (ish)
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Playamonte wrote: »
    Yes I was thinking along the same lines as our Hudl 1 has seen better days & has been very reliable to date (would just prefer a bigger screen) So rather than go for a 2 I was thinking hold on a little for a 3 as its odds on that it would be a winner for a few years if it arrives ?
    Popped a thread up about the Samsung Tab E that Tesco also sell but there seems to be little info/feedback about that tab although it is in the price range (ish)

You might wait a long time for the 3.
  • Options
    PlayamontePlayamonte Posts: 1,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    You might wait a long time for the 3.

Yes I know mate so it will likely be the 2 or something similar when we pop over to the UK near Xmas.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,345
    Forum Member
    As a previous poster said, a major reason for Tesco selling the Hudl2 at the price they did was to entice customers into signing up for trials of their subscription services, and then hopefully (from their point of view) be happy to pay every month afterwards to keep them.

From Tesco's point of view, investment in a Hudl3 would be a difficult sell, especially as it would need to outperform the Hudl2 in most ways and not be any more expensive than it.

The only real downsides of the Hudl2 is it is rather heavy, and the battery life is not too great. Some people will say the cameras aren't too good either, but anyone who uses a tablet to take photos deserves to be shot; all a tablet needs to have camera-wise is something front-facing for video-chats. The weight and battery life are only an issue if you carry it around a lot, and with phablets being increasingly popular, tablets are probably being mainly used as just an "extra screen" at home.

I suspect the Lollipop 5.1 update for the Hudl2 is confirmation that there is no Hudl3 planned anytime soon. Why release a software update which makes the older model more attractive, if you're planning to release a newer better and more expensive device soon? They could easily have kept the Hudl2 on 4.4.2, and one of the selling points of the new Hudl3 would be the updated software it comes with.

For its price, the Hudl2 doesn't really have anything to fault it as a stay-at-home device. The 1920x1200 screen is ample for a mid-range let alone a budget 8" device. The CPU packs quite a punch: although not up there with the A57 and certainly nowhere near the upcoming A72 devices, it'll run pretty much everything fine that you'll use it for, and anything it struggles with is probably better suited to being used on a PC or games console. 2GB of RAM is adequate to keep multi-tasking smooth enough. It has a uSD card slot which can take at least 64GB cards (I don't have a 128GB or larger card to test with), which makes the 16GB internal storage much less of an issue, though that is still in my opinion its main limitation.

One other problem of the Hudl2 for some users is that it is not as easy to root it as would be desired. It's understandable that Tesco don't want users coming into their stores with devices that have been screwed up whilst attempting to root, but it would be nice if Tesco provided an official, relatively safe way on the understanding you void your warranty, method of rooting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    The only real downsides of the Hudl2 is it is rather heavy, and the battery life is not too great. Some people will say the cameras aren't too good either, but anyone who uses a tablet to take photos deserves to be shot; all a tablet needs to have camera-wise is something front-facing for video-chats. The weight and battery life are only an issue if you carry it around a lot, and with phablets being increasingly popular, tablets are probably being mainly used as just an "extra screen" at home.

One other problem of the Hudl2 for some users is that it is not as easy to root it as would be desired. It's understandable that Tesco don't want users coming into their stores with devices that have been screwed up whilst attempting to root, but it would be nice if Tesco provided an official, relatively safe way on the understanding you void your warranty, method of rooting.

Rooting is something that your average buyer isn't even vaguely aware of, and is little benefit to maybe 99% of typical users. Benefit to Tesco would be non existent, although I'm surprised at the 5.1 update (but I'm anticipating a patch coming, as we're experiencing a few minor issues).

My youngest got a couple of cracking shots from his Hudl 2 whilst we were going around longleat in the summer. Conditions were ideal, clear sunny day, but his picture of the monkey sat above me (have a panoramic glass roof in the car) was brilliant.
  • Options
    IgniteIgnite Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As someone mentioned, there is the whole issue with economies of scale. By releasing 5,1 for the Hudl 2, they have done a good refresh of the product, and with an already successful unit on sale, it would cost them more to bring out a new Hudl 3 than keep selling the 2. You also get to the point where the market is already saturated with tablet owners so sales start slowing down. Are the target consumers going to buy a new Hudl 3 just for the sake of an upgrade or would they stick to their existing Hudl 2.

Slightly OT, with 5.1, there is now an option in Settings > Apps to switch off (disable) most of the Tesco apps under a tab called Tesco. Having done that and also disabled a lot more (Hangouts etc) I'm getting great battery life and a really stable fast tablet with little indication that it was ever from Tescos.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    clonmult wrote: »
    Rooting is something that your average buyer isn't even vaguely aware of, and is little benefit to maybe 99% of typical users. Benefit to Tesco would be non existent, although I'm surprised at the 5.1 update (but I'm anticipating a patch coming, as we're experiencing a few minor issues).

My youngest got a couple of cracking shots from his Hudl 2 whilst we were going around longleat in the summer. Conditions were ideal, clear sunny day, but his picture of the monkey sat above me (have a panoramic glass roof in the car) was brilliant.

A young child using a tablet to take a photo, doesn't really count when I said that anyone who does so deserves to be shot :p I imagine the pic he took brings back great memories of the day out.

I know rooting Android devices is something most potential Hudl2 buyers in a Tesco store would be totally unaware of, but I'm sure there is a small but not insignificant proportion of people like myself who learned about it online and purchased one because it was an absolute bargain for what you got. Especially if paid for with the Clubcard point double-up exchange thing. It would be trivial for them to provide a download of something signed which replaces the recovery mode software on the device with something like CWM, in exchange for voiding the warranty. I guess the problem is that some fools would brick their device and take it to the store expecting an exchange or replacement. Yeah, maybe Tesco is right to keep it fairly locked down.

Personally I've not updated yet; 4.4.2 is rock-solid and those reports of various issues with 5.1 have deterred me. Refusal to charge until rebooting (a problem I remember all too well in the first few months of using it) is not something I fancy having again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ignite wrote: »
    As someone mentioned, there is the whole issue with economies of scale. By releasing 5,1 for the Hudl 2, they have done a good refresh of the product, and with an already successful unit on sale, it would cost them more to bring out a new Hudl 3 than keep selling the 2. You also get to the point where the market is already saturated with tablet owners so sales start slowing down. Are the target consumers going to buy a new Hudl 3 just for the sake of an upgrade or would they stick to their existing Hudl 2.

Slightly OT, with 5.1, there is now an option in Settings > Apps to switch off (disable) most of the Tesco apps under a tab called Tesco. Having done that and also disabled a lot more (Hangouts etc) I'm getting great battery life and a really stable fast tablet with little indication that it was ever from Tescos.

That option sounds good. I must admit the (almost) first thing I did with mine was install Nova Launcher, so all the Tesco garbage was removed from view.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ignite wrote: »

Not OT at all, that is a rather welcome option. Will look into it later. ta :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PrinceGaz wrote: »
    A young child using a tablet to take a photo, doesn't really count when I said that anyone who does so deserves to be shot :p I imagine the pic he took brings back great memories of the day out.

Hot day, son giggling in the back at the monkeys ripping out the parking sensors (they're required for the MOT!!!), car overheating due to the fan failing. It was a memorable day :D

I agree, 99% of the time using a tablet for taking pictures should be an offence punishable by a firm smack.