Labyrinth (1986) to be shown on terrestrial TV for first time in nearly 20 years

djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
Forum Member
✭✭✭
That's right, it was December 31, 1995 when Jim Henson's Labyrinth was last shown on BBC one. Marking the last time it was broadcast on UK terrestrial television.

Although being shown over the years on channels like the Disney Channel it hasn't been shown on any other terrestrial broadcaster since.

However, Channel 5 will today be showing the film at 5.15pm.

Comments

• Sansa_SnowSansa_Snow Posts: 1,217
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ooo thanks for the heads up!
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sansa_Snow wrote: »
    Ooo thanks for the heads up!

Your welcome 😊
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Labyrinth, in addition to The Dark Crystal, has sat in the doldrums for years presumably as it was co-produced by LucasFilm. Now famously owned by Disney. T.D.C was a sole venture and therefore hadn't been shown on terrestrial for 21 years, until a few weeks back when it popped up on Channel 4. Later Jim Henson movies such as The Witches were made with Warner Bros so have had dozens of airings.
  • djonshoredjonshore Posts: 4,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    Labyrinth, in addition to The Dark Crystal, has sat in the doldrums for years presumably as it was co-produced by LucasFilm. Now famously owned by Disney. T.D.C was a sole venture and therefore hadn't been shown on terrestrial for 21 years, until a few weeks back when it popped up on Channel 4. Later Jim Henson movies such as The Witches were made with Warner Bros so have had dozens of airings.

I have both The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth on DVD but I did have a shock that they both haven't been shown on terrestrial for so long. Both were on the BBC. Dark Crystal only on BBC TWO. Whereas Labyrinth shown on both BBC one and BBC TWO.

Today also marks the first ever HD broadcast of Labyrinth in the UK.

I presume The Dark Crystal was in HD for first time on Channel 4 HD?
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The Dark Crystal really does beg for some more films in its beautifully realised universe. I think it would be great if there was first a prequel, showing the world of Thra before the Great Conjunction. It could cover the cracking of the crystal, the splitting of the UrSkeks into the UrRu and the Skeksis, and the purge of the Gelflings. Then a sequel, with a new story of life after the Gelflings return to Thra.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    djonshore wrote: »
    I have both The Dark Crystal and Labyrinth on DVD but I did have a shock that they both haven't been shown on terrestrial for so long. Both were on the BBC. Dark Crystal only on BBC TWO. Whereas Labyrinth shown on both BBC one and BBC TWO.

Today also marks the first ever HD broadcast of Labyrinth in the UK.

I presume The Dark Crystal was in HD for first time on Channel 4 HD?

It was and was wonderful to see.
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The Dark Crystal really does beg for some more films in its beautifully realised universe. I think it would be great if there was first a prequel, showing the world of Thra before the Great Conjunction. It could cover the cracking of the crystal, the splitting of the UrSkeks into the UrRu and the Skeksis, and the purge of the Gelflings. Then a sequel, with a new story of life after the Gelflings return to Thra.

I feel The Dark Crystal would make a good franchise and Labyrinth deserves a follow up or prequel too. Although I'm not usually one for sequels the environments created in these movies are rich and the use of puppets so unique. They could work wonders with modern special effects.
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    I love Labyrinth and its soundtrack !
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    Ah, "Labyrinth". A enjoyable slice of pre-Harry Potter, pre-LOTR movie fantasy. :)

I used have an American friend who called it "the babysitter movie" since her
    babysitter would always watch it with her and her brother. A few years later, she
    met the babysitter and learned the reason why-said babysitter had a massive
    crush on the Thin White Duke. :D
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I dint see the appeal, wooden acting, clunky scripts, a lot of bowies "script" seemed shoehorned in.
    Over rated IMO.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've already watched Labyrinth on Netlfix this year :(
    Forum Member
    Lee_Smith2 wrote: »
    I feel The Dark Crystal would make a good franchise and Labyrinth deserves a follow up or prequel too. Although I'm not usually one for sequels the environments created in these movies are rich and the use of puppets so unique. They could work wonders with modern special effects.

And on that subject. surely I can't be the only one interested in "Krull 2" ?
  • nattoyakinattoyaki Posts: 7,080
    Forum Member
    Decent film but not sure I could watch it again after seeing its occult etc symbolism broken down on viglilant citizen.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fire Mares ! :D
  • Red-EyeRed-Eye Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    Awwww I love Lanyrinth! :D OK I know it has it's flaws but as far as I'm concerned, the good far outweighs the bad IMO.

Labyrinth & The Dark Crystal are among my list of favourite films of all time. :)
    nattoyaki wrote: »
    Decent film but not sure I could watch it again after seeing its occult etc symbolism broken down on viglilant citizen.

No offense but I stopped listening to VC a very long time ago.

Any film or book which dares to have imagination? MUST be occult symbolism(!) Young actor/actress or singer tragically dying before his/her time? MUST of been killed by the occult(!)

Don't get me wrong I'm not the type of person who thinks you should always believe your government 100% without question no matter what but neither should you always believe Conspiracy Theories 100% without question no matter what. :)

Take David Ike for example, he was right about the child abuse scandal but does that now automatically make all of his other Conspiracy Theories right?
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'd rather see Liam Neeson in that than Taken 4.
    Forum Member
    dodrade wrote: »

If "Clash of the TItans" got a remake, maybe "Krull" and "TDC" can get ones too...
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I have to laugh at the Sky Planner's ridiculous description of Krull:

"Liam Neeson stars in this visually spectacular fantasy epic, where love is the only weapon againt evil"
  • LakeukLakeuk Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Showing again tonight on 5*, repeated on Saturday
  • Misanthropy_83Misanthropy_83 Posts: 2,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember seeing the dark crystal five years ago on tv although can't remember what channel it was
    I watched labyrinth when it was on channel five recently
    great movie and one we watched many times as kids
    we had to borrow it from the lady two doors down as my mother kept forgetting to tape it when it was on. My sister has it on dvd
  • sjamessjames Posts: 1,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm convinced Channel 4 showed Labyrinth regularly in the late 90's/early 00's as that's when I remember first watching it!
  • icanboogieicanboogie Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Should you need us . .
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing, nothing, tra-la-la....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 310
    Forum Member
    Ah, David Bowie and his bulge. I remember this movie well.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mmmmmmmmm..........:D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Labyrinth, Dark Crystal, Krull.....any more?

Funny, the sheer nostalgia surrounding these rather naff eighties fantasies that bombed on release.

I suppose they'll all get rebooted into trillion dollar trilogies now.