Best Acting Performances You Have Seen

1234568»

Comments

• IamBagpussIamBagpuss Posts: 290
    Forum Member
    Russell Crowe in The Insider. Love that film.
  • Gwaed WaedlydGwaed Waedlyd Posts: 5,401
    Forum Member
    Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liz Taylor - Who's afraid of virginia woolf
    Audrey Hepburn - Breakfast at Tiffany's
    Bette Davis - All About Eve, What happened to baby jane?
  • 5hane5hane Posts: 2,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When Shane died in Angel's arms.
  • LinseyapLinseyap Posts: 5,748
    Forum Member
    Cate Blanchett in Blue Jasmine.

And Judi Dench in friggin everything.
  • tahititahiti Posts: 3,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am probably on my own here but I think Billy Bob Thornton is one of the most natural actors I have seen.

He does not star in particularly good films but he just seems so relaxed on screen.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I see that although the question is supposed to be what is the best, many people refuse to commit themselves, instead just giving a long list, demonstrating only that they know how to cut and paste.
    That Is so with a large proportion of threads - instead of answering, just a list is given. Now that I have said that, I will admit that I am torn between two, but I will have to plump for one.

Deborah Kerr in Night Of The Iguana.
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jack O'Connell in Unbroken

Incredible.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noomi Rapace in the original Swedish Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (and its sequels).
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    I see that although the question is supposed to be what is the best, many people refuse to commit themselves, instead just giving a long list, demonstrating only that they know how to cut and paste.
    That Is so with a large proportion of threads - instead of answering, just a list is given. Now that I have said that, I will admit that I am torn between two, but I will have to plump for one.

Deborah Kerr in Night Of The Iguana.
    Yes, best performances.

Plural, more than one, as the OP demonstrated. Nowt wrong with a single choice of course. It's up to you.
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »
    I am probably on my own here but I think Billy Bob Thornton is one of the most natural actors I have seen.

He does not star in particularly good films but he just seems so relaxed on screen.

Sling Blade. An absolutely extraordinary performance, and a great movie.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,324
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tahiti wrote: »

I thought he was stunning in Monster's Ball but it the awful Halle Berry who got all the awards and acclaim.
  • r1verr1ver Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    Xela M wrote: »
    Marlon Brando - Streetcar Named Desire

Jack Nicholson - One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Vivien Leigh - Gone With The Wind

There have been many great performances by actors before and since, but for me those three are in a completely different league to everyone else.

Yes I'd agree with this list except that Id put Vivien Leigh in Streetcar above Gone With the Wind. But then Streetcar is my favourite film of all time.
  • TexAveryWolfTexAveryWolf Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try this from Ben Hur....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AGUq4wia9s

He was uncredited, a Roman day player, but the symphony of doubt,belief, shame and disturbance on his face is one of the best piees of cinema acting I have seen.

No water for him!
  • julie2009julie2009 Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has to be Tom Hanks in Philidephia the scene with Denzel Washington with the voice of Maria Callas in the background. Makes the hairs on my neck stand on end.

Both Dustin Hoffman and Meryl Streep in Kramer v. Kramer.

Robin Williams in Good Will Hunting
  • Sorcha_27Sorcha_27 Posts: 138,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Cate Blanchett in blue jasmine.
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Bridges - Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Such a natural actor - the scene at the end stuck in my mind for years. Also loved him in The Big Lebowski and The Fisher King.

Robert Duvall - The Godfather and Apocalypse now - one of those actors who don't appear to be acting, they just inhabit the role

Gene Hackman - French Connection (as above)

Juaquin Phoenix - The Master - a very believable performance as a dysfunctional drifter

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Before The Devil knows You're Dead - The Master

Robin Williams - Dead Poet's Society (honourable mentions to the supporting cast particularly Ethan Hawke and Robert Sean Leonard)

Edward Norton - Fight Club

Geraldine Page - The Trip to Bountiful

Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice

Marlon Brando - The Godfather

John Voight and Dustin Hoffman - Midnight Cowboy
  • Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jeff Bridges - Thunderbolt and Lightfoot. Such a natural actor - the scene at the end stuck in my mind for years. Also loved him in The Big Lebowski and The Fisher King.

Brad Davies - Midnight Express - gifted actor who died far too young :(

Robert Duvall - The Godfather and Apocalypse now - one of those actors who don't appear to be acting, they just inhabit the role

Gene Hackman - French Connection (as above)

Juaquin Phoenix - The Master - a very believable performance as a dysfunctional drifter

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Before The Devil knows You're Dead - The Master

Robin Williams - Dead Poet's Society (honourable mentions to the supporting cast particularly Ethan Hawke and Robert Sean Leonard)

Edward Norton - Fight Club

Geraldine Page - The Trip to Bountiful

Meryl Streep - Sophie's Choice

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Al Pacino - The Godfather
    Russell Crowe/ Joaquin Phoenix - Gladiator
    Eddie Redmayne - Theory of everything
    Denzel Washington - Flight
    Sean Penn - Mystic river