Walt Disney Pictures to produce a live action Grand Theft Auto film - theory!

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
Forum Member
My theory is that Walt Disney Pictures will teaming up with Rockstar Games to produce a live action version of Grand Theft Auto, Hopefully it will get the cast and crew to start it off in the first place.

Of course, it will be distributed by Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures overseas under the Walt Disney Pictures label while MGM/Columbia to distributed the film in the US only.

It will be a PG-13 rated (12A/12 rated) film, much like Pirates of the Caribbean since 2003 ;)

Comments

• idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The problem with that, like most video games made into movies, is that they lose the vital, most crucial element inherent to what makes the game good: ie

You get to play

Watching video game movies is like watching somebody else playing video games, it's as dull as ditchwater. The fun is in the doing.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The problem with that, like most video games made into movies, is that they lose the vital, most crucial element inherent to what makes the game good: ie

You get to play

Watching video game movies is like watching somebody else playing video games, it's as dull as ditchwater. The fun is in the doing.

See I don't mind watching someone else play games. I'd take that over watching films based off games.

As for the OP that sounds awful.

PG-13 ? .?? Don't get me wrong, I know every teenager plays GTA, but it is rated 18s. For good reason. By stripping away everything that makes the game rated 18s, you're kinda stripping away what makes it GTA ? And Walt Disney ? Do you really think that's the best partner for Grand Theft Auto ?

What would the story be ? Is it going to be gang related, or heist related ? What will make it Grand Theft Autoey as opposed to a random action film with the GTA brand slapped on it ?

My theory is that you love GTA, so blindly thought you'd love a film based off it, but didn't really think about it.
  • Lee_Smith2Lee_Smith2 Posts: 4,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Me thinks the OP is trolling.

There is no way in hell Walt Disney Pictures would touch the brand as its near 80 year existence is based around family movies. Neither would Rockstar/Take Two go down the route of PG-13 unless they were in serious financial trouble. It would obviously be R Rated.

Personally, I think the planned BBC Films movie based around the beginnings of the franchise could be far better than any GTA crime movie could be.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP has a history of similar "theories" under different names.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no now go away or i'll run you over
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Unless they need script writers to get cleaner for the 12A (or PG-13) film ;-)
  • FIFA1966FIFA1966 Posts: 1,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anything other than 18 rating will not work for a Grand Theft Auto movie.

Samuel L Jackson needs to play the lead role if there is a GTA movie.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    I like the idea of a GTA movie and think it is ripe for development as film. But when you think about what the actual result would be, I'd probably prefer that it doesn't happen - it would end up like Fast and Furious style stunts, cars driving out of planes with parachutes etc. I think it would totally miss the point with big set piece nonsense rather than focusing on what makes GTA, i.e. - the humour and the heist/Mafia storylines, characters and locations.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    This is just not going to happen and if it did the result would be horrendous.

GTA was built as a pastiche and satire of all the best crime films down the years. A film of GTA would be a film parodying a game parodying movies like Scarface, HEAT, Goodfellas etc

Why it won't happen is that Rockstar can make billions risk free in game development, without wasting time and money and reputation with movies.
  • RadiogramRadiogram Posts: 3,515
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just not going to happen .

Of course it's not going to happen.

This "theory" is the product of a mind that has posted all sorts of junk on here under various names in the last year, one look at his other posts and his Twitter feed will tell you all you need to know.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I just imagine any Grand Theft Auto film would turn out to be a standard Jason Statham action flick based very loosely (a few same location and character names) on the series.
  • gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is just not going to happen and if it did the result would be horrendous.

GTA was built as a pastiche and satire of all the best crime films down the years. A film of GTA would be a film parodying a game parodying movies like Scarface, HEAT, Goodfellas etc

Why it won't happen is that Rockstar can make billions risk free in game development, without wasting time and money and reputation with movies.
    One of the co-founders emphatically stated it was a pie in the sky

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=38689
    "We've been offered, many times, and it's never appealed. The money's never been close to be worth risking one's crown jewels. Our small dabblings with Hollywood have always left us running back to games. The freedom we have to do what we want creatively is of enormous value. The second you go near Hollywood, people seem willing, or have been forced, to lose a lot of that control. That sort of amorphous 'that won't test well' attitude is exactly how we don't work. We've always tried to think of stuff that's innovative and new, and to go into a world where that's not encouraged would be horrible."
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    Grand Theft Auto movie will HAPPEN as I produce this for Walt Disney Pictures in overseas along with MGM/Columbia in America, when I'm reach the deal with Disney after Election Day; there will be a Grand Theft Auto movie to produce for the first time in almost two years ;)
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    SuperAPJ wrote: »
    I just imagine any Grand Theft Auto film would turn out to be a standard Jason Statham action flick based very loosely (a few same location and character names) on the series.

I know what you mean, they'd probably just make a Fast and Furious type movie, take out the stronger adult stuff, and call it Grand Theft Auto.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,328
    Forum Member
    Nurse, he's out of his bed again.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Was that about me or Disney execs? :D