Options

Recent sci-fi movies

GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
Forum Member
✭✭
Which is your fav in the list below and do you think are they seem all the same? We've been reliving the same events over and over again. We keep getting excited for an original science fiction movie, like Elyisum. Or Oblivion. Only to be disappointed.

Edge of Tomrrow
Oblivions
Elysium
Pacific Rim
After Earth
Prometheus

Comments

• Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GodAtum wrote: »
    Which is your fav in the list below and do you think are they seem all the same? We've been reliving the same events over and over again. We keep getting excited for an original science fiction movie, like Elyisum. Or Oblivion. Only to be disappointed.

Edge of Tomrrow
    Oblivions
    Elysium
    Pacific Rim
    After Earth
    Prometheus

'Elysium' is my favourite on this list because it is the one that at least attempts to deal with the financial crash of 2008 in a meaningful way. I also like the Edge of Tomorrow although it borrows heavily from 'Groundhog Day'.

What about 'Interstellar' or 'Her' or 'Ex Machina' or 'Transcendence' or 'Under the Skin'?
    Dealing with AI is an emergent theme.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Groundhog Day in turn borrowed heavily from the STTNG episode Cause & Effect
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    under the skin was really good
    elysium was ok
    edge of tomorrow was excellent
    and i got prometheus on bluray
    pacific rim was a blast
    and not seen after earth ..... but do i want too :D
  • Options
    QuixoticQuixotic Posts: 668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Give Frequencies (2013) a watch.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    under the skin was really good
    elysium was ok
    edge of tomorrow was excellent
    and i got prometheus on bluray
    pacific rim was a blast
    and not seen after earth ..... but do i want too :D

Yes I really liked Under the Skin.
    That was a very different approach to science fiction films.
  • Options
    montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mgvsmith wrote: »
    'Elysium' is my favourite on this list because it is the one that at least attempts to deal with the financial crash of 2008 in a meaningful way.

In a meaningful and cack handed way I'd say. I don't think it was particularly about the financial crash anyway, I'd say it was more about the 1% vs the poor and about immigration. At least I think it was as Mr Blomkamp's allegories are so subtle it was hard to work out. :D
  • Options
    GodAtumGodAtum Posts: 552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Battle LA was a good fight-fest.
  • Options
    BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Of those listed, Oblivion.. But yeah, Under the Skin was a great movie as well.
  • Options
    shaddlershaddler Posts: 11,574
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interstellar is better than all the films on that list.
  • Options
    sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Snowpiercer is the best Sci-fi flick in the last couple of years
  • Options
    mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The signal (2014) was a solid film, had some good twists and looked great for a modest budget.
    Havnt seen Ex machina yet but its on my want to watch list.
  • Options
    metanoiametanoia Posts: 635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's been a lot of good sci fi the last few years in my opinion,

I'd add Le congress and Predestination to those already mentioned.

Wasn't keen on After Earth and Elysium was disapointing.
    Edge of Tomorrow was the biggest surprise, popcorn sci-fi classic.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed Pacific Rim for what it was a popcorn movie
    Edge of Tomorrow was very good, far better than I thought it would be
    Oblivion a little boring
    Interseller overly long could of had at least 30mins taken out, but liked the premise of the film
  • Options
    SpacedoneSpacedone Posts: 2,546
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I had to pick from that list then it'd be Edge Of Tomorrow closely followed by Oblivion. Promethius just annoyed me because it could have been so much more and Pacific Rim is little more than a Japanese cartoon and seriously destroys its limited credibility with that blood sword.

Off the list... I haven't seen Ex Machina yet so can't comment. Interstellar was interesting but I'm not sure I ever want to watch it again...

Far and away the best science fiction film in ages was Under The Skin. A simple, not at all flashy film that has a very 70s feel to it (which might be down to the creepy music) and didn't try to explain everything. It left a more lasting impression than any of those effect-heavy 3D cash-cows.
  • Options
    Sky_GuySky_Guy Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    Liked Oblivion.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In a meaningful and cack handed way I'd say. I don't think it was particularly about the financial crash anyway, I'd say it was more about the 1% vs the poor and about immigration. At least I think it was as Mr Blomkamp's allegories are so subtle it was hard to work out. :D

I was simply thinking that the us and them divide (the 1% v 99%, the Wall St v Main St) that has re-emerged since the crash would be a good theme for Sci-Fi ( and horror).
  • Options
    JustonecornettoJustonecornetto Posts: 19,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ex Machina is the best sci-fi film I have seen in last couple of years, very stylish and thought provoking.

Interstellar was ok but it reminded me of the 1997 film Contact which I think is far superior. Ironically Matthew McConaughey is in both films but is complete opposite character in Contact where he is the religious man looking to find out how God fits in to the search for other life in our Universe.