The Champions - Cult TV 1960's Series

Hello there,

Has anyone seen or watched The Champions from the 1960's ? I have got the entire series on Digitally Remastered DVD, I must say that the Picture has improved a lot on DVD's. The Champions stars: Stuart Damon - Craig Stirling & Alexandra Bastedo as Sharon Macready & Richard Gaunt as Richard Barrett. They were three Nemesis agent's who crashed in a Tibet civilization they were brought back to life and given Super Human powers - Better Sight, Vision, Hearing Better Fighting skills etc.

Overall it was a great series by ITC, I do wish that www.networkdvd.co.uk would hurry up by releasing Edwin Astley's fantasic The Champions Scores on a Soundtrack CD.

P.S Why don't you all E-Mail that NetworkDVD company by asking them to bring it out in time for Christmas.

Kind Regards
BarryA59

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    One thing I forgot to add, Does anyone know of a The Champions movie ?

I wonder who will play the three agents ?

Any links to it saying it's true

Regards
    BarryA59
  • Mrs CMrs C Posts: 1,533
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that series..wasn't it odd that only William Gaunt (the dullest of the 3) was the one who went on to have any success. Apart from one episode of Ab Fab I don't remember seeing Alexdra in anything else..
    As for the film - it depends who makes it but if they looking for beautiful, English actress they'll only look as far as Keira Knightly but I'd choose Charlize Theron, and Daniel Craig as Craig Stirling and Damian Lewis as Richard..

(and please find a role for Alan Rickman )

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with having to remake things ?? :eek:

It doesn't show any thought or originality. :mad: :mad:

No more remakes please! :mad: :mad:

Let's leave The Champions alone.

Thank you.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've met Alexandra as she goes to a club near where I live.

I can see Charlise Theron in her role
  • TabbythecatTabbythecat Posts: 33,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is it with having to remake things ?? :eek:

It doesn't show any thought or originality. :mad: :mad:

No more remakes please! :mad: :mad:

Let's leave The Champions alone.

Thank you.
    They did plan a remake of the Persuaders with Steve Googan
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They did plan a remake of the Persuaders with Steve Googan

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: (he was so awful in Night at The Museum he should never be allowed to be in anything again!!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs C wrote: »
    NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: (he was so awful in Night at The Museum he should never be allowed to be in anything again!!)

Sad to say its due for release December 2008 its being directed by David "Friends" Schwimmer so draw your own conclusions
  • edwinastleyedwinastley Posts: 277
    Forum Member
    I loved that series..wasn't it odd that only William Gaunt (the dullest of the 3) was the one who went on to have any success. Apart from one episode of Ab Fab I don't remember seeing Alexdra in anything else..
    As for the film - it depends who makes it but if they looking for beautiful, English actress they'll only look as far as Keira Knightly but I'd choose Charlize Theron, and Daniel Craig as Craig Stirling and Damian Lewis as Richard..

While Gaunt has appeared in some tv shows over the years in the UK Stuart Damon went on to bigger success in the US.

He was due to appear in the 1971 ITC series The Adventurer with Gene Barry but Barry's star power enabled him to get Damon fired off the series because he was too tall:eek:

Damon was paid for a whole year for doing nothing but as he was not allowed to do other work he got forgotten.

He was on the verge of going bust when he landed a short term part in the US soap General Hospital.

The short term part lasted 30 years.
    The dvd has a superb reunion documentary where the cast meet up for the first time since the end of the show and its filmed at the studio where GH is made.

He's only recently in the last year or so come out of it.

Bastedo was in a Spanish horror movie called Blood Spattered Bride ,made guest appearances in other ITC series and then starred in a BBC series around 1978 called The Aphrodite Inheritance.
    That was shown by UK Gold about a decade ago.

Most of the Network dvd sets coming out are including series music to accompany the still galleries but the promised cd soundtracks dont seem to be any nearer.

The Champions set has 30 minutes of incidental music.
    As most of it reused time and time again I doubt there's too much more.

Use your PC and DVD Audio Extractor to lift the music onto cd
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sad to say its due for release December 2008 its being directed by David "Friends" Schwimmer so draw your own conclusions

Now that's shocking - the unbelievable directed by the incomprehensible..car crash filming at it's finest..did I hear someone say straight to video??
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While Gaunt has appeared in some tv shows over the years in the UK Stuart Damon went on to bigger success in the US.

He was due to appear in the 1971 ITC series The Adventurer with Gene Barry but Barry's star power enabled him to get Damon fired off the series because he was too tall:eek:

Damon was paid for a whole year for doing nothing but as he was not allowed to do other work he got forgotten.

He was on the verge of going bust when he landed a short term part in the US soap General Hospital.

The short term part lasted 30 years.
    The dvd has a superb reunion documentary where the cast meet up for the first time since the end of the show and its filmed at the studio where GH is made.

He's only recently in the last year or so come out of it.

Bastedo was in a Spanish horror movie called Blood Spattered Bride ,made guest appearances in other ITC series and then starred in a BBC series around 1978 called The Aphrodite Inheritance.
    That was shown by UK Gold about a decade ago.

Most of the Network dvd sets coming out are including series music to accompany the still galleries but the promised cd soundtracks dont seem to be any nearer.

The Champions set has 30 minutes of incidental music.
    As most of it reused time and time again I doubt there's too much more.

Use your PC and DVD Audio Extractor to lift the music onto cd

Am glad for Stuart Damon - he was my first crush (along with Scott Tracy..:)) - but it seems Alexandra didn't remain the cool blonde - shame she was lovely..any idea where/how she is looking now?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now that's shocking - the unbelievable directed by the incomprehensible..car crash filming at it's finest..did I hear someone say straight to video??

More like straight to the bargain bin says Mrs T as the concept sounds dreadful and the bloke who did the script is David Dorfman who wrote Anger Management
  • paninieyespaninieyes Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    Am glad for Stuart Damon - he was my first crush (along with Scott Tracy..:)) - but it seems Alexandra didn't remain the cool blonde - shame she was lovely..any idea where/how she is looking now?

An episode of After They Were Famous a couple of years ago interviewed Bastedo who IIRC was running some kind of animal sanctuary.

Considering she must be about 60 she still looks really good
  • Metal MickeyMetal Mickey Posts: 1,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No, it's Guillermo De Toro who appears to have been signed on as director.

In a strange piece of inter-topic synchronicity, it actually seems to be The Persuaders movie that Schwimmer is attached to, which doesn't bode well...

I loved The Champions when I was a youngster, and had a massive crush on La Bastedo, but I have to say that seeing it again recently for the first time in decades, I was hugely disappointed in it, and the nostalgia factor didn't paper over the cracks for me...
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do you remember when kevin keegan fell of his bike - that was a classic....

wait, no :D
  • billshatnerbillshatner Posts: 141
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    Do you remember when kevin keegan fell of his bike - that was a classic....

wait, no :D

I dont get it.

What connection does Superstars have to The Champions?
  • Nick_2005Nick_2005 Posts: 1,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She didnt have a big part, but check out the party guests near the end of Batman Begins :)
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BarryA59 wrote: »
    Hello there,

Has anyone seen or watched The Champions from the 1960's ? I have got the entire series on Digitally Remastered DVD, I must say that the Picture has improved a lot on DVD's. The Champions stars: Stuart Damon - Craig Stirling & Alexandra Bastedo as Sharon Macready & Richard Gaunt as Richard Barrett. They were three Nemesis agent's who crashed in a Tibet civilization they were brought back to life and given Super Human powers - Better Sight, Vision, Hearing Better Fighting skills etc.
    It was William Gaunt not Richard Gaunt. ;)
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Champions theme music is by Tony Hatch, not Edwin Astley.
    Alexandra Bastedo had a cameo role in Batman Begins. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ironjade wrote: »
    The Champions theme music is by Tony Hatch, not Edwin Astley.

Edwin Astley wrote the theme tune but his version was never given a commercial release (I love the drummer giving it loads) the Tony Hatch Orchestra version was issued as a PYE Records single in 1969
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If this is an American film the boss Tremayne will probably be played by a renowned British and by the end of the film will have turned out to be on the take
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do feel some things should be left alone.

The Persuaders is a classic series & so well cast Roger Moore as the English Lord & Tony Curtis the self made man. You can't recreate such things.

Same with The Saint classic Roger Moore. As much as I like Ian Ogilvy, Return of the saint didn't work for me.

The Champions is the same classic but unfortunately will be ruined by any remake film.

Just look at the Saint movie utterly dire! Aside from the gorgeously curvy Liz Shue :D

Starsky & Hutch movie, the less said about that the better.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Edwin Astley wrote the theme tune but his version was never given a commercial release (I love the drummer giving it loads) the Tony Hatch Orchestra version was issued as a PYE Records single in 1969

According to imdb Tony Hatch composed the theme music and is credited on every episode I've ever seen.
    Edwin Astley and Robert Farnon also contributed but in what capacity isn't clear.
    Whoever did it, it's still the best bit of the show, to which time hasn't generally been too kind. I loved it as a child but find it unwatchable now.:cry:
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I really do feel some things should be left alone.

The Persuaders is a classic series & so well cast Roger Moore as the English Lord & Tony Curtis the self made man. You can't recreate such things.

Same with The Saint classic Roger Moore. As much as I like Ian Ogilvy, Return of the saint didn't work for me.

The Champions is the same classic but unfortunately will be ruined by any remake film.

Just look at the Saint movie utterly dire! Aside from the gorgeously curvy Liz Shue :D

Starsky & Hutch movie, the less said about that the better.

In that respect I hope no-one ever thinks about doing a remake of Man In A Suitcase
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I thought man in a suitcase quite dire in itself!
  • billshatnerbillshatner Posts: 141
    Forum Member

The Champions theme (used on the series )was written by Tony Hatch.

Thats why its his name credited on every cd release of the tune.

I believe Edwin Astley composed the incidental music although as with all ITC shows they often used stuff originally written for other ITC series aswell as accessing library music , which is likely where the Robert Farnon stuff came from.