So is Tiscali TV any good ?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'm thinking of moving from Sky, and the Tiscali TV, phone and B/B package looks very good, compared to the other usual suspects.

I'm only really interested in Kids TV and Sky 1 from the digital, as I'm going to use the sky mobile service for sports.

It just seems a LOT cheaper than the competition and I was wondering if I get what I pay for.

Comments

• parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you checked that you can get Tiscali BB and checked out their offers?

http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/tv/index-tv.html?code=ZZ-NL-11EE

Sky 1 is included in the £24.99 package and Kids' Mix would be £6 per month extra. The phone deal includes free calls to many international destinations (including some international mobiles) as well as UK landlines.

At present they are offering the Tiscali+ PVR for free (you won't own it, but there are no rental charges) and it's a reliable PVR, allowing for the very occasional, fixable glitch - far fewer glitches than most of the Freeview+ boxes (and I should know, I have several including Tiscali).

It's a brilliant deal, I reckon.

parthena
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Parthena Do You Work For Tiscali.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I'm a Homechoice migrant, joined up in 2000 :)

If you look around this forum you'll find one or two others who are not complaining.

parthena
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »

Sky 1 is included in the £24.99 package and Kids' Mix would be £6 per month extra. The phone deal includes free calls to many international destinations (including some international mobiles) as well as UK landlines.

At present they are offering the Tiscali+ PVR for free
    Tiscali did well to get the Sky channels, which BT vision still does not have!
    But have been useless selling the IPTV service and have closed the Italian IPTV servce.
    http://www.iptv-watch.co.uk/2007/12/13/tiscali-targets-200000-broadband-tv-subscribers/
    Since acquiring on-demand TV service, HomeChoice, in 2006, the company’s customer numbers have fallen from 45,000 to 36,000 according to its third quarter results.
    Not good and am not sure what the current TV customer numbers are?

Just recently Tiscali TV setup costs have been reduced, CPW have decided to merge Tiscali and AOL and rebrand with Talk Talk!
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/mediatechnologyandtelecoms/5295302/Carphone-buys-Tiscalis-UK-broadband-business-for-236m.html
    Charles Dunstone, Carphone's founder and chief executive, said the deal will make Carphone's TalkTalk division the UK's largest residential broadband provider with over 4.25m customers. He said the acquisition will boost the company's earnings per share by 10pc in the year to March 2010. Carphone hopes the deal will allow it to cut costs by between £40m and £50m by March 2011.

Carphone Warehouse says 2009 will be 'most challenging' yet"We are delighted to be acquiring Tiscali's UK business – we know the business well and the fit with TalkTalk is perfect," Mr Dunstone said.
    The broadband and TV costs are now very competative, they seem to have a good STB with HD and Canvas coming which could be as good as Sky+, and if marketed correctly could take off in 2010!

The issue could be the savings of between £40m and £50m they want to make to boost profits!, if they don't improve the IP network to take account of the extra traffic and also improve customer service with staff who know the broadband and TV services inside out, like Sky provides, the rebranded Tiscali/Talk Talk IPTV service could still fail!

From
    http://www.thinkbroadband.com/
    ISP Customer Service Reliability
    O2 Broadband 75% (18,182) 68% (19,515)
    BE Unlimited 71% (6,651) 69% (7,359)
    PlusNet 66% (9,723) 66% (10,682)
    Sky Broadband 51% (22,772) 59% (24,651)
    Virgin Media 48% (55,664) 57% (59,105)
    TalkTalk 45% (19,753) 50% (21,419)
    BT Broadband 42% (49,295) 52% (53,231)
    Tiscali 36% (17,011) 48% (18,756)
    AOL 36% (13,189) 41% (13,978)
    Orange 34% (16,820) 43% (18,109)

Virgin Media has impressed customers with their customer service score rising from 44 to 48%, but the most notable increase was TalkTalk which increased from 39 to 45% in one year indicating a significant improvement. O2 and BE certainly still dominate the top with a significant lead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some really useful opinion and information there, thanks.

I was wondering how reliable the service was as well - I guess if your internet goes, then so does the TV, or is the PVR also a freeview box ? Is it a dual input box i.e. record one program, watch another or record internet, watch terrestrial etc.... ?

What's the quality of the picture ? Can you get HD ? 8Mb seems like a slow connection speed to be promising all that it does. Does it degrade whilst a couple of PCs are accessing the internet as well?

Anybody been able to compare this with say BT vision, which is a lot more expensive, and I am starting to wonder why this is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    parthena wrote: »

At present they are offering the Tiscali+ PVR for free (you won't own it, but there are no rental charges) and it's a reliable PVR, allowing for the very occasional, fixable glitch - far fewer glitches than most of the Freeview+ boxes (and I should know, I have several including Tiscali).

It's a brilliant deal, I reckon.

parthena

Yeah, my exchange is tiscali BB and TV enabled.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Hi - I've had Tiscali TV for a month now and am pretty impressed with it. I've not yet had any issues with internet speeds - in fact I'm watching 4onDemand through it now whilst me and my girlfriend are on both on the net on our laptops.

The TV takes about 2mb of my internet speed up, I get around 5mb down my line so it leaves 3mb for the net. The Tiscali+ box has twin freeview tuners so you can record 2 freeview channels whilst watching an IPTV channel or you could record 3 things if you watch terrestrial through your TV. If you are watching a freeview channel through the Tiscali box your internet isn't used and your internet speed goes up.

I was stuck between Tiscali TV and BT Vision but chose Tiscali as its £19.99 a month and has Sky1,2,3 FX, Comedy Central etc. One thing to mention though is that Tiscali don't offer catchup services for ITV or C5 - they just offer BBC, C4, FX etc.

The only issue I have had is that my sound sometimes goes crackilly via HDMI but Tiscali are looking into this (it seems a common fault but only occurs for 1minute every few hours) - Scart works fine though.

Hope this helps
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rlnc722 wrote: »
    I was wondering how reliable the service was as well
    "Issues" are very few and far between - from what I hear, the service is more reliable than many others.
    What's the quality of the picture? Can you get HD?

Picture quality is very good quality Standard Definition. HD is not currently available, but there has recently been a trial where a Harry Potter movie (or more than one?) was made available for download in HD - I don't have HD TV so can't comment on it. But "things" are obviously in the pipeline. There is no red button interactivity yet.
    Does it degrade whilst a couple of PCs are accessing the internet as well?
    I have 2 laptops running by wifi off the router and there is no noticeable effect on BB speed when the TV is being used.

parthena
  • hanssolohanssolo Posts: 22,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fleeze69 wrote: »
    in fact I'm watching 4onDemand through it now whilst me and my girlfriend are on both on the net on our laptops.

The TV takes about 2mb of my internet speed up, I get around 5mb down my line so it leaves 3mb for the net.
    Looks like BT, they have qos (quality of service) for the IPTV service , which is good, but does mean it will only work with the supplied router!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    rlnc722 wrote: »
    I'm thinking of moving from Sky, and the Tiscali TV, phone and B/B package looks very good, compared to the other usual suspects.

I'm only really interested in Kids TV and Sky 1 from the digital, as I'm going to use the sky mobile service for sports.

It just seems a LOT cheaper than the competition and I was wondering if I get what I pay for.

Although I have had problems recently with my TV package I must say that Tiscali customer services are generally very good, especially as the help lines are now 5p per minute and not premium rate and you usually get a £5 credit if you do have to make any calls. Also the online help is very good. So, although I'm not happy with the fact that problems caused are due to my distance from the exchange (which I think I should have been warned/advised about)
    I would recommend Tiscali.
  • ZapomaticZapomatic Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd agree that tech support is much improved. I had a crossed line on New Years Day - got through to someone straight away (although the automated system said I'd be waiting 6 minutes?), problem was fixed by the end of the day and I had a follow up call to check everything was working properly. Now that my line has been sorted I'm back to my usual speedtest results of 6.5 meg even at peak times.
  • ethelethel Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    Hello,

Like Parthena I am a happy Tiscali customer & have no connection with them whatsoever (apart from the phone line, obviously) ;)

I think that the service is criminally undersold at the moment but am hopeful that with the new ownership bedding in and such developments as Canvas and potentially higher broadband speeds courtesy of Talk Talk's network they will take the opportunity to roll out the TV service nationwide.

It does have its drawbacks, red button functionality, or lack of being a major bugbear but generally it's great for the money & I don't think I would switch to Sky now even if I could as I rely so much on Tiscali's on demand and catch up services (not totally comprehensive agreed but there's enough for me).

As for customer service it has improved immeasurably if my experience at the weekend was anything to go by - I had lost the 'Net and was talked though the reset procedure by a very helpful chap who had me back up & running within 3 minutes of my making the call.

I hope that I am not coming over as a Tiscali apologist - I just genuinely like the service and think it deserves to be made more widely available.

Cheers,

David. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    I've been with Homechoice/Tiscali/TalkTalk for over 4 years and is very good value for money. It could really do with more channels (Living, Bravo and even some of the free channels like CBS Action/Drama would be useful additions). The VOD is good (HBO and Warner TV and great) and there is a lot to choose from.