Options

Do you have a pet house spider?

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 482
    Forum Member
    I have two mirror spiders on my car, (Lucy and Roger :o ), and Otto lives in the bathroom.

There is also Hop-Along-Harry in the hallway - he only has five legs, and is quite cute. :)
  • Options
    susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had one of these big hairy spiders with the bodies that sort of sit inside the span of their legs, who lived in the conservatory for a few months. He was called Boris.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I had a spider in my room last year, disappeared around 28 November though for no apparent reason. :cry: he wasn't a big hairy pest like some spiders are, he was fairly small and cute but unfortunately i didn't give him a name. He was my companion for a while. :D

i have a large collection of plastic spiders though which i use for pranks though. :D:D
  • Options
    †¤AzumiMiyako¤††¤AzumiMiyako¤† Posts: 3,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We don't name ours but we had a colony of daddy long legs (not the flying ones) that used to live in our video cupboard :D
    Oh - Mum ate the babies - I never knew they did that! I remember seeing a nest of tiny spiders once - it was quite a bizarre sight. You don't want them growing up and running amok.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x47/FlowerpotCupcake/Photography/OLYMPUS/Pets%20and%20Animals/P5217063.jpg?t=1253631171

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x47/FlowerpotCupcake/Photography/OLYMPUS/Pets%20and%20Animals/P5217068.jpg?t=1253631271

Here are a couple of pics I took in May this year :)
  • Options
    illusioukillusiouk Posts: 706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spiders Creep me out BIG TIME!!, sorry when I see one, if no family member is around then its Hoover Time!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a spiddy called Boris who was massive and lived in a hole by the pipe in the downstairs toilet.

He lived there for ages and I'd talk to him/her while I was sat on the loo :D

I told my son about it as I fondly looked at Boris exploring the cloakroom/bog one day and he fetched a dustpan and brush and sweeped him up, taking him outside to the cold and unfriendly world!:mad:

Little does he know that Boris had babies and the weeny little things are enjoying their tiny little lives climbing all over the walls in there...sons and daughters and sons and daughters etc of dear BORIS MMMMWWWWAAAHAHAHAH!!:D
    Excellent news!

One of Boris's children has grown as big as a penny and is enjoying his/her heritage, which is the bathroom.

I guess he/she is living in it's parent's hole!!!

So delighted...NOT TELLING SON THIS TIME!!

I have to whisper to Boris Junior when I sit on the loo!:D
  • Options
    Sara WebbSara Webb Posts: 7,885
    Forum Member
    Do you have a pet house spider?

:eek::eek::eek:

In a word, no. I'm hideously arachnophobic.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Spiders are attracted to the window next to my PC monitor and build their webs in the top corner - outside.

There's been a big one there for weeks and I can't help but notice it drop down whenever some unfortunate insect gets trapped in its web. It's been getting noticeably bigger and fatter, so the web must be in a good spot.

Can't say I'm that fond of it and he'll be dealt with when I next get round to cleaning the outside windows.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We have giant 'Uncle Sammy' and his cousin 'Reg', they live in the curtain and we love them, well I do and make sure when it's conker season there are none around to make them disappear!
  • Options
    FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Parents bought me one of those years ago from Betterware. It was a long handle with a plastic box thingy that you put over the spider then pulled a cord on the handle to close it. The first (and last! time I used it to catch a large spider off the ceiling the bloody spider missed the box, slid down the pole and landed on me! :eek:
    I'm surprised no-one phoned the police after the screaming that came from my house that day!

This was a good 10-15 years ago now mind you, so hopefully they've improved the design since then!

Kind of reminds me of one day when i was about 6 - sitting on the back doorstep minding my own whilst my Mum was upstairs tidying up - suddenly a huge black and hairy landed right beside me and ran off across the patio. I ran inside and told my Mum - she said "Oops, I just found that in the laundry basket and chucked it out the bathroom window." A real Miss Muffet moment! :eek:

I currently have 2 garden spiders living on my kitchen ceiling, they've been there all year and can stay as long as they like! And a little green one on the net curtain on my back door. They don't have names though. I've got a huge garden spider in my Dad's greenhouse too, her body is as big as a gobstopper and she struggles to walk where she's soo fat!!:D Her name is Sweets! My Dad keeps threatening to feed her to the chameleon but me and my Mum are having none of it.
    In my old house we had tons of those long-leg, tiny body ones, all around the ceiling of every room, didn't mind them being there but I was a bit purturbed when one was crawling up my leg in bed one morning :eek: We had one in the bathroom there too, called Mr Web!
    My OH can't stand them, and calls for "Spider Patrol" if he sees any in the house that need catching - I do the pint glass and piece of card thing, but try to "hide" them elsewehere in the house before taking the glass outside and "pretending" to throw them away :D:D

I really want a tarantula for Christmas......don't think I'm gonna get one tho!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 127
    Forum Member
    I thought we were odd having a pet spider that had a name! Clearly not !:D

Ours has been called Herbert 2 and he lives on top of one of the kitchen cabinets. Big bloody thing that wears jack boots! sure its got a mini gym up there as well, though most of its cardiac routine tends to be running like a mental person around the edge of the kitchen ceiling.

Useless scaredy cat just sits there and watches it with the occasional token tap with the paw if she knows we're about. She is nominated fly and spider catcher in the house (OH just lets them roam free! shiver...) but is seriously shirking her duties...!;)

My dad had Herbert 1 living in his garage until he squashed it with the old rabbit hutch....gave Herbert 1 a decent burial too. crank.
  • Options
    michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our latest pet spider got evicted by my Husband last night because it grew to the size of a small mouse! Actually it's probably more likely that mouse-sized spider ate our smaller pet (Boris) who we hadn't seen for a while and took over his 'patch', but whatever the case there's no way I'm having a spider that size living in the same house as me! I've never jumped out of a seat as fast as I did last night when the evil creature appeared for a closer look at me. I swear he was sizing me up for his Christmas dinner. :eek:

I feel a bit guilty now though because it's pouring with rain today.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 28
    Forum Member
    Noooo don't be silly I don't like spiders, I'm a quiet person usually, show me a spider and I'll scream and run for the hills, I have on occasions locked myself in my room so it 'won't get me'. The cat also proves useless its in situations as the few times I've tried to get him to get them he's run away himself!

Anyway thats beside the point, as for pet house spiders, we have none in the house, but both my parents have a spider in the passenger seat wing mirror of each of their cars, both nameless, both clearly cruel because they naturally like to come out when I'm around. My mums is huge too! I wonder how it manages to get back behind the mirror with a bottom as big as its got! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We had a monster one at our workplace years ago. We called him Montague:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sara Webb wrote: »
    :eek::eek::eek:

In a word, no. I'm hideously arachnophobic.

Ironic considering your username:D