Liam Gallagher's "Beady Eye" VS Noel Gallagher's "The High Flying Birds" VS Oasis

Green FoxGreen Fox Posts: 184
Forum Member
I have to say I loved Oasis and always will but lately I adore BE...

Across The Universe
The Beat Goes On
Millionaire

I have to say I haven't listened to their new album yet but will do soon. I do like HFB but only really like...

Let The Lord Shine On Me
Everybody's On The Run (the chorus is a masterpiece of music)

Which do you like best?

Comments

• eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Across The Universe isn't a bad cover.
  • Green FoxGreen Fox Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Who sang the original Eugene, I had no idea it was a cover!?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take a guess... I think Beady Eye really do sound Beatles-esque, part of me says too much, but who else out there now makes music like that? Some seem to enjoy that sort of thing.

I prefer Oasis' sound. Seemed much heavier and Definitely Maybe still sounds fresh. Always struggle to find many bands with a similar guitar tone, Stone Roses/Sex Pistols closest.

Also like Noels solo project. Very simple and catchy songs. I see Noel more of an anthem writer than a songwriter, not exactly Dylan, but all seem to be sing-a-longs.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Green Fox wrote: »
    Who sang the original Eugene, I had no idea it was a cover!?

The Beatles Who else ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zC4poOpZG9w
    Forum Member
    I think The Beatles are only famous because they were ahead of their time and had a good fan base. When everybody else caught up they were hardly unique.

I haven't heard one song off them I really like?
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think The Beatles are only famous because they were ahead of their time and had a good fan base. When everybody else caught up they were hardly unique.

Did you like when Liam worked with The Chemical Brothers?

If so, you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNrlecJCNA
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member

How did they get a good fanbase?

What you mean is they were different to everyone else, then everyone started copying them, at that point they were no longer unique, you are correct about that, hardly their fault that everyone just copied them rather than finding their own way.

The songs the Beatles produced will be on compilations, covers and be getting played live at concerts for generations to come.
    Can anyone honestly say that about beyonce, jay-z or one direction?
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    How did they get a good fanbase?

What you mean is they were different to everyone else, then everyone started copying them, at that point they were no longer unique, you are correct about that, hardly their fault that everyone just copied them rather than finding their own way.

The songs the Beatles produced will be on compilations, covers and be getting played live at concerts for generations to come.
    Can anyone honestly say that about beyonce, jay-z or one direction?

Just because I don't like them it doesn't mean I am ignorant to their achievements you know...
    Did you like when Liam worked with The Chemical Brothers?

If so, you might like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuNrlecJCNA

I have to my knowledge all of Noel and Liams solo and collaborations as well as the 2 bands music. I like them!
  • TheshaneTheshane Posts: 1,815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

By that method of thinking, right now Yusain Bolt is the fastest man on earth. Fastest man ever going by the record books.
    Going by your thinking when someone beats his world record all his achievements become null and void.

Saying that, I've never bought into this Oasis as a Beatles tribute act thing
    Yes they have a couple songs that sound Beatlesque, but then so do a lot of acts, but they were more a Sladesque sounding band.
    Forum Member
    But I am sure I just said I understand their achievements?

But I still stand by what I say, if other bands sounded as "advanced" they wouldn't have been that significant.

To be fair I never intended The Beatles to be mentioned from the title of the thread as I have little interest in them meaning I can't fully argue what I don't understand.

I really do like Slade though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But I still stand by what I say, if other bands sounded as "advanced" they wouldn't have been that significant.

To be fair I never intended The Beatles to be mentioned from the title of the thread as I have little interest in them meaning I can't fully argue what I don't understand.

No offence, but the don't understand part is self evident.

At the time their recording techniques were advanced and doing new things and breaking new ground. Although they weren't always the first to do alot of these things. Nearly 50 years later, those "advanced" techniques don't sound unusual at all. Instead, what you have is a pretty good catalogue of songs. That's what got them attention in their day and that's what gets them attention now.

Looks at the Rolling Stones, a basic Rock n' Roll band, they didn't go for flashy production, or "advanced" sounds, and they're the second most lauded group of that time.
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    No offence, but the don't understand part is self evident.

At the time their recording techniques were advanced and doing new things and breaking new ground. Although they weren't always the first to do alot of these things. Nearly 50 years later, those "advanced" techniques don't sound unusual at all. Instead, what you have is a pretty good catalogue of songs. That's what got them attention in their day and that's what gets them attention now.

Looks at the Rolling Stones, a basic Rock n' Roll band, they didn't go for flashy production, or "advanced" sounds, and they're the second most lauded group of that time.

No idea why you even bothered to put that :rolleyes:

Could we get back on track so the thread isn't too negative?
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    Just because I don't like them it doesn't mean I am ignorant to their achievements you know...

I have to my knowledge all of Noel and Liams solo and collaborations as well as the 2 bands music. I like them!
    I never knew of Liam collaborating with them, the Noel collaboration was good though.

What was the Liam one called, i will have a look?

Oasis, Balloch park, 80k crowd, sunshine, the manics, black grape.

Amazing day and night, such a great gig, probably the best OASIS gig anyone could have ever chosen to attend, right at their peak.
    Forum Member
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    I never knew of Liam collaborating with them, the Noel collaboration was good though.

What was the Liam one called, i will have a look?

Oasis, Balloch park, 80k crowd, sunshine, the manics, black grape.

Amazing day and night, such a great gig, probably the best OASIS gig anyone could have ever chosen to attend, right at their peak.

I think he meant Noel, wasn't aware Liam did solo stuff etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to say I loved Oasis and always will but lately I adore BE...

Across The Universe
    The Beat Goes On
    Millionaire

I have to say I haven't listened to their new album yet but will do soon. I do like HFB but only really like...

Let The Lord Shine On Me
    Everybody's On The Run (the chorus is a masterpiece of music)

Which do you like best?
    All things being equal, I am sure that the autotuned contributions of Liam and Noel Gallagher would be good, great or even excellent if better material had not emerged from superior artistes previously.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No idea why you even bothered to put that :rolleyes:

Could we get back on track so the thread isn't too negative?

To be fair your were the one who brought it up and made the original comment. Did you think people weren't going to make comments based on other comments made in a forum?
    If you don't want people to reply or comment on things you say, that's what talking to walls or pillars is for.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And if stone age man could have made computers, we'd all be more advanced now and probably have flying cars and a pill that makes us immortal and invulnerable, wouldn't we? But that's not how linear time, human evolution and technical advancement works.

I think you may need to think a bit more before you speak in such a dismissive but arrogant all knowing tone when it's apparent you don't know as much as you think and have some bizarre concepts as to how things are actually meant to work according to you when your ideals contravene a lot of basic tenets of the reality we exist within.

I'd say Oasis obviously have the biggest and most diverse body of work, Noel's got the real talent even if his lyrics are a bit trite these days while Beady Eye are going through the motions, at times backwards. Liam's voice is just awful these days, it sounds like a rusty mower.
    Forum Member
    Theshane wrote: »
    To be fair your were the one who brought it up and made the original comment. Did you think people weren't going to make comments based on other comments made in a forum?
    If you don't want people to reply or comment on things you say, that's what talking to walls or pillars is for.

The thread title doesn't actually have The Beatles in it, I just wanted to celebrate good music.
    Forum Member
    And if stone age man could have made computers, we'd all be more advanced now and probably have flying cars and a pill that makes us immortal and invulnerable, wouldn't we? But that's not how linear time, human evolution and technical advancement works.

I think you may need to think a bit more before you speak in such a dismissive but arrogant all knowing tone when it's apparent you don't know as much as you think and have some bizarre concepts as to how things are actually meant to work according to you when your ideals contravene a lot of basic tenets of the reality we exist within.

I'd say Oasis obviously have the biggest and most diverse body of work, Noel's got the real talent even if his lyrics are a bit trite these days while Beady Eye are going through the motions, at times backwards. Liam's voice is just awful these days, it sounds like a rusty mower.

But that sounds like you and I have already stated I know little about The Beatles. Just because they are generally popular doesn't mean me and anyone else HAVE to like them.

Anyway could we get back on track.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The thread title doesn't actually have The Beatles in it, I just wanted to celebrate good music.

I never said the thread title did have the Beatles in it, but you as the person who started the thread, brought up them and the ridiculous comment.
    So my point is you cant really get arsey when people comment on that and dispute it.

You can hardly expect to go anywhere and say something utterly bollocks and unfounded, and not have folk pull you up on it. Then when folk do mention it, refuse to comment.

The Sun is cold and the earth is flat. That's all I have to say about that.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that sounds like you and I have already stated I know little about The Beatles. Just because they are generally popular doesn't mean me and anyone else HAVE to like them.

Anyway could we get back on track.

... You admitted you liked one of their songs, Across The Universe...

Ugh, I'm giving up and tapping out on this one, faulty logic in play.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Some of the Beady Eye tracks are okay, but I don't think they really compare to most of the Oasis songs, or any of Noel's solo work. I bought both Different Gear, Still Speeding and High Flying Birds; the former I have listened to a few times, the latter I play again and again, and never tire of it.
    Forum Member
    Some of the Beady Eye tracks are okay, but I don't think they really compare to most of the Oasis songs, or any of Noel's solo work. I bought both Different Gear, Still Speeding and High Flying Birds; the former I have listened to a few times, the latter I play again and again, and never tire of it.

Have you heard BE's new album yet?
  • thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't stand Liam's voice, so by default it would have to be High Flying Birds..........
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Have you heard BE's new album yet?

No, only the first single from it, so I do need to check the new album out, to see if it is an improvement on the first one.