Man strangles dog

phonex1976phonex1976 Posts: 6,412
Forum Member
A man appeared to strangle his dog after it attacked a four-year-old boy in a Birmingham park... ... ... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/8322343.stm

[Own comments deleted]

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Well, at least we know why the dog was attacking people - and it was nothing to do with the breed. The man sounds like a psychopath.
  • phonex1976phonex1976 Posts: 6,412
    Forum Member
    Yewtree wrote: »
    Well, at least we know why the dog was attacking people - and it was nothing to do with the breed. The man sounds like a psychopath.

It's not the breed that's the problem, but the breed is potentially dangerous, and in this case, it was - more so than a dog like a Collie or a Jack Russell.
    You can't say that the man is a psychopath just for these actions.

Though, as I said, he was/is at fault for not having the dog on a lead, and he was crass in dumping the dog.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    phonex1976 wrote: »
    It's not the breed that's the problem, but the breed is potentially dangerous, and in this case, it was - more so than a dog like a Collie or a Jack Russell.

Though, as I said, he was/is at fault for not having the dog on a lead, and he was crass in dumping the dog.

What breed? On the limited information we have, it sounds like it might have been a cross breed

And FYI a Collie killed a kid not too long ago
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    phonex1976 wrote: »

He strangled his dog, so I don't think you can say that he's mentally balanced. Other breeds can be just as vicious, but the media only ever seems to feed public prejudice/hysteria. I think the main problem is the image that particular breeds have; they are perceived as being "tough" and so will attract a certain type of owner. This results in a vicious circle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yewtree wrote: »
    He strangled his dog, so I don't think you can say that he's mentally balanced. Other breeds can be just as vicious, but the media any ever seems to feed public prejudice/hysteria. I think the main problem is the image that particular breeds have; they are perceived as being "tough" and so will attract a certain type of owner. This results in a vicious circle.

Yes it does and those that scream the loudest about "BAN THESE DEVIL DOGS" are oblivious to the harm they do, by propagating the incorrect myth that certain breeds are inherently aggressive to humans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Apparently, Collies are responsible for more dog bites than other breeds in this country. The truth is all dogs have the potential to be aggressive and dangerous if they have the misfortune to owned by an irresponsible person
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    thewolfman wrote: »
    Apparently, Collies are responsible for more dog bites than other breeds in this country. The truth is all dogs have the potential to be aggressive and dangerous if they have the misfortune to owned by an irresponsible person

I'd go one step further. I think that all dogs have the potential to be aggressive, regardless of ownership.

It's just that some need very different stimuli than others (the result of how they've been treated)
  • Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just read this story and it got me thinking: I've often thought what would happen if a dog clamped itself to my leg and wouldn't let go. In that sort of situation, it would be thumbs in eyes or strangling it. I find myself sympathising with the guy for destroying a dangerous creature, but then feeling nasty towards him for not training his dog properly.. swings and roundabouts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If a dog viciously attacked me or my family, I would have to use whatever force necessary to defend myself or the person it attacked.

All dogs have wolf like instincts and good training is the only way to keep dogs reasonably well behaved.

Untrained or badly trained dogs of any breed are flaming menace

Referring to the article, he did not need to take such drastic action.

I would have reported the owner for allowing a dog to attack a child and let the authorities deal with it.
  • qwertyqueenqwertyqueen Posts: 3,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact that he strangled the dog and casually put it into a bin bag shows what a vile thug this man is. Physically strangling a creature takes a force of will and is not the same as trying to subdue it. He didn't give a sh!t about the dog and it was his fault that the dog attacked someone. Dogs are usually put down because of bad owners - where's the justice in that? The vast majority of dogs are very sweet if they are treated well. I hope they find him and lock him up.
  • Rob22Rob22 Posts: 11,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes me physically sick, how some people treat animals.

we have NO right, taking an animals life away.

animals were on the earth, before human beings, we should feel honoured, and privileged that the animals let us share the planet with them.

humans DO NOT rule the earth, we are merely the lease-holders.
  • mad_dudemad_dude Posts: 10,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My dog attacked another dog today, Something which he did quite frequently with a previous owner... but appeared to have calmed down when we were looking after him.

I slapped him not that hard but enough to know that it was wrong. He cried all the way home and then as a secondary punishment he was put on a lead downstairs in the house while I went upstairs ( He cried for an hour because he didnt like being left alone)

I felt absoloutly shit disciplining him like this. but I dont know what I would have done if he attacked a kid probably would have phoned the police myself though
  • GortGort Posts: 7,466
    Forum Member
    thewolfman wrote: »

I'm an owner of a border collie and have to say that although those statistics might ring true, they still don't tell the whole picture. Collies tend to use nipping as a means of herding/controlling (this can be trained out of them, in as much as you can take it out; my dog doesn't do this), but to those who have been nipped, they think it's a bite (and it is, albeit not serious). You'll find that collies are less prone than a lot of dogs to savage, though (maybe because the nip has had the desired effect). Mix a type of dog with a reputation with a type of owner with a yearning for a "reputation", and you'll find that savaging will be the first form of attack that that dog will take.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe the figures - when my Mollie was a pup she accidentally scratched my mother who was at the time on anti coagulants (so cue a lot of blood) we took her to the hospital and they refused to write it down as a scratch even though they were told 4 different times that was what it was,and it was recorded as a bite. She was 4 months old and hasn't got a bad bone in her even now at 9 she is just very friendly. It did make me wonder how many other "bites" are not bites at all. :confused:
  • Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My vet says "breed AND deed". Some dogs like staffs are simply too dangerous, as are all "pit bull types". The breed should be banned.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »
    My vet says "breed AND deed". Some dogs like staffs are simply too dangerous, as are all "pit bull types". The breed should be banned.

Well the pit bull is banned :confused:

And if your vet really says that about pedigree Staffordshire Bull Terriers then i'd be questioning how good a vet he is, 'cos that contradicts all the information i've ever found about them :confused::confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What I don't understand and please explain as I would like to understand is this, my yorkie comes from a long line of dogs not bred for their job of ratting but he kills - he kills anything small and furry I am not quick enough to save. This drive to do what his fore fathers did is huge so why should I believe dogs originally bred to fight and be vicious are now so docile they can be considered safe ? My Collie cross also has no sheep herders in her family for the past 12 generations but her drive to round people up is considerable.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    What I don't understand and please explain as I would like to understand is this, my yorkie comes from a long line of dogs not bred for their job of ratting but he kills - he kills anything small and furry I am not quick enough to save. This drive to do what his fore fathers did is huge so why should I believe dogs originally bred to fight and be vicious are now so docile they can be considered safe ? My Collie cross also has no sheep herders in her family for the past 12 generations but her drive to round people up is considerable.

No problem.

Bull Terriers were bred to fight other dogs. To this end, they had to be exceptionally good with humans, so a fight could be broken up if neccesary.

Thus, they were selectively bred accordingly. People who think they have some kind of natural aggression problem against humans need to put the Sun down and seek out some credible facts :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not for a moment suggesting they are, but I know from experience the killer instinct/herding instinct are not easy to breed out and when the animal has no sheep to herd or rats to kill they can turn the instinct onto other things - we cannot have stuffed toys as he will "kill" them and Mollie rounds humans/other dogs up. So what makes it safe to have a dog that has the fighting instinct originally bred into it ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not for a moment suggesting they are, but I know from experience the killer instinct/herding instinct are not easy to breed out and when the animal has no sheep to herd or rats to kill they can turn the instinct onto other things - we cannot have stuffed toys as he will "kill" them and Mollie rounds humans/other dogs up. So what makes it safe to have a dog that has the fighting instinct originally bred into it ?

What makes it any less safe than the dogs you've referred to? They were all bred for something related to their prey drive
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I am not saying it is, I consider terriers (I have had them for 25 years now) to be very likely to bite, and as soft and soppy as she is Mollie could accidentally nip when she is rounding people up. The difference is I accept these breeds are possibly not good for families with young children and am aware and responsible for their actions which has meant none of my dogs have ever bitten anyone. All I want to know really is why the owners of these other breeds cannot see and say the same as me. It seems very odd to me to not admit it is possible.

Time and again we see the aftermath of bad bites and attacks and no one seems to be admitting we are actually keeping potentially dangerous animals in our homes and must therefore take full responsibility for this and keeping people and other animals safe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I want to know really is why the owners of these other breeds cannot see and say the same as me. It seems very odd to me to not admit it is possible.

Time and again we see the aftermath of bad bites and attacks and no one seems to be admitting we are actually keeping potentially dangerous animals in our homes and must therefore take full responsibility for this and keeping people and other animals safe.

Sadly the SBT is the current dog for chav scum. The tiny few that do attack tend to be owned by pond life who were never going to take any responsibility. The vast majority of owners would and do agree with what you're saying.

But that's no reason to not have one