Options

Euro 2016 Qualifiers

Comments

• Options
    Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Albania and Northern Ireland showing why these Qualifiers are not all as predictable as some seem to think.

I watched Gibraltar v Poland. The first half Gibraltar were great, shame they faded in the second half.

No shame in that scoreline today. They will do better v Scotland, Ireland and Georgia.

They might concede a few away to Poland and Germany but should gradually improve I reckon. Even if they don't they have done so well to make it to UEFA football.
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steveaki13 wrote: »
    Albania and Northern Ireland showing why these Qualifiers are not all as predictable as some seem to think.

I watched Gibraltar v Poland. The first half Gibraltar were great, shame they faded in the second half.

No shame in that scoreline today. They will do better v Scotland, Ireland and Georgia.

They might concede a few away to Poland and Germany but should gradually improve I reckon. Even if they don't they have done so well to make it to UEFA football.

I'm not sure Poland are the second best team in that group by the way, despite the emphatic win tonight. Their form for the last two or three years has been all over the place, they can be impressive in some matches and then very disappointing in others (both Ireland and Scotland have beaten them in friendlies fairly recently)
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Germany are really missing Lahm.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree about Poland, but look at their results v minnows and they tend to stick plenty away like Germany do.

Don't often see Scotland or Ireland score 5 or more. Hence I believe they will concede less v those.

Poland have score 5 at least 3 times v San Marino in the last 8 years, plus a 10-0 win v San Marino in 2009 and an 8-0 v Azerbaijan 7 or 8 years ago.

They are average, but seem to score a few v minnows.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree about Poland, but look at their results v minnows and they tend to stick plenty away like Germany do.

Don't often see Scotland or Ireland score 5 or more. Hence I believe they will concede less v those.

Poland have score 5 at least 3 times v San Marino in the last 8 years, plus a 10-0 win v San Marino in 2009 and an 8-0 v Azerbaijan 7 or 8 years ago.

They are average, but seem to score a few v minnows.

Yes, if you're saying they're more likely to run in goals against minnows, you may be right. Strangely this may not mean they are the second best team in the group though.....when they come up against decent teams in qualifiers, their results are often all over the place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Yes, if you're saying they're more likely to run in goals against minnows, you may be right. Strangely this may not mean they are the second best team in the group though.....when they come up against decent teams in qualifiers, their results are often all over the place.

Don't think I ever claimed they were second best in the group, just that Gibraltar would have easier games v the rest (except Germany)
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,048
    Forum Member
    Not often a Watford player scores against the World Champions!

Usually Anya's finishing is pretty average for us.

Unlucky Scotland and well done to the Irish sides - like to see the home nations and ROI do well.
  • Options
    Thomas007Thomas007 Posts: 14,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some interesting odds for the qualifiers:

San Marino 18/1
    Draw 6/1
    Lithuania 1/6

Given that San Marino haven't gotten a result since 2004 (including friendlies), surely that's a pretty good bet? You would have to be pretty unlucky to lose it?
  • Options
    snukrsnukr Posts: 19,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't think I ever claimed they were second best in the group, just that Gibraltar would have easier games v the rest (except Germany)
    Isn't that the same as saying they're the second best team in the group? I think ROI will thrash them, but Scotland quite often struggle in those type of games.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Germany recorded double figures against them home and away.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    snukr wrote: »
    Isn't that the same as saying they're the second best team in the group? I think ROI will thrash them, but Scotland quite often struggle in those type of games.
    I wouldn't be surprised if Germany recorded double figures against them home and away.

I don't think so.

Scotland & Ireland can better Poland in the group, but I see Poland scoring more against Gibraltar. They have a habit of scoring more in games v minnows than Scotland and Ireland do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liechtenstein gave Russia a good battle for a while. 4-0 away to this Russia said ain't too bad.

Approaching HT in this evenings games and not many goals.

Ukraine 0-1 Slovakia
    San Marino 0-2 Lithuania
    Spain 2-1 Macedonia
    Austria 1-1 Sweden

and Luxembourg have just scored to lead Belarus 1-0 as they continue their amazing rise in performance and flying the flag for the minnows.
  • Options
    tiger2000tiger2000 Posts: 8,541
    Forum Member
    and Luxembourg have just scored to lead Belarus 1-0 as they continue their amazing rise in performance and flying the flag for the minnows.

...and of course at Euro 2020 there will be a Finals Place reserved for one of the bottom 16 Ranked teams in Europe.
  • Options
    EStaffs90EStaffs90 Posts: 13,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiger2000 wrote: »
    ...and of course at Euro 2020 there will be a Finals Place reserved for one of the bottom 16 Ranked teams in Europe.

It'll be interesting to see if anybody does as badly as Tahiti did in the 2013 Confederations Cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tahiti who people called to be stopped from coming again, despite the fact they won their confederations competition

People love to ban sides from playing football because they are bad by comparison

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interesting question for those who want Pre Qualifiers.

Do you take the one or two big trashings only into account?

San Marino 0-2 Lithuania
    Luxembourg 1-1 Belarus
    Russia 4-0 Liechtenstein

Not bad results and worth considering when asking for Pre Qualifiers. San Marino were in that game.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well you would normally think that the two teams most likely to hand out a trashing to the minnows would probably be the best two teams in the group. I'm not sure I'd read too much into Poland's 7-0 win anyway. That was Gibraltar's first competitive game in their history : the same fixture in 12 months' time might have produced a lower scoreline, they were bound to be desperately rusty and inexperienced on their debut.
  • Options
    big macbig mac Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    Well you would normally think that the two teams most likely to hand out a trashing to the minnows would probably be the best two teams in the group. I'm not sure I'd read too much into Poland's 7-0 win anyway. That was Gibraltar's first competitive game in their history : the same fixture in 12 months' time might have produced a lower scoreline, they were bound to be desperately rusty and inexperienced on their debut.

Gibraltar have had some respectable results in some of their friendly matches, a couple of away draws and a home win, so that would suggest that they're not a complete joke.
  • Options
    O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Hopefully Wales finally qualify for a major tournament, looking at the group third is certainly achievable. Pitch looks questionable, but should have no problems tonight.
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Hopefully Wales finally qualify for a major tournament, looking at the group third is certainly achievable. Pitch looks questionable, but should have no problems tonight.

Why hopefully?
  • Options
    Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's Dean Saunders done to his face? I literally couldn't recognise him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Why hopefully?

Why wouldn't I hope that:confused:
  • Options
    BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Why wouldn't I hope that:confused:

Are you Welsh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Are you Welsh?

Yeah... even if I weren't though I wouldn't need to justify it.
  • Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are you Welsh?

I'm English and I hope all the home nations qualify. I'm supporting Wales tonight.
  • Options
    StuntyStunty Posts: 45,701
    Forum Member
    What's Dean Saunders done to his face? I literally couldn't recognise him.

Think he may have had a bit of 'work' done on it. :eek: :eek:

Not a frown wrinkle in sight, well not a wrinkle for that matter, and I hardly recognised him either.