Signing new contact , don't mean much now does it

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
Still can't get my head round this
Matt smith signed new deal with Leeds 3 weeks ago , yesterday he was sold to Fulham
So what was point of signing new deal if your not going to honour it , tho in truth no idea what circumstances were in why gd left
Guess us fans don't really matter nowadays :(

Comments

• Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The club may have decided that it was too good an offer to turn down.

The 'point' of him signing the contract, from the club's point of view, was that they could have refused Fulham's offer and there would have been little that Smith could have done about it.
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Like with any job there is always a chance that something changes that means you leave you current job.

Maybe you feel living in London was a better fit for your family life?
    Maybe you just feel its time for a move and a job offer comes along when you are feeling that way?

Yes of course some times its for more money (a acceptable reason as many).

Of course fans matter but sometimes there are bigger and more important agendas at work.

Leeds is not the most stable company to work for at the moment and maybe he feels rather then risk his livelyhood he needs to move to another?

You would know more then me about him but does he seem the type of person who could be classed as a "mercenary"?
  • Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member

The 'point' of him signing the contract, from the club's point of view, was that they could have refused Fulham's offer and there would have been little that Smith could have done about it.

Not to keyed up on the ins outs of transfers but 5live wS excellent last night I thought mark chapman (best football host around IMHO) did brilliant show and his experts including football business man from hallum uni in Sheffield explained all and how they work ,
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    Like with any job there is always a chance that something changes that means you leave you current job.

Maybe you feel living in London was a better fit for your family life?
    Maybe you just feel its time for a move and a job offer comes along when you are feeling that way?

Yes of course some times its for more money (a acceptable reason as many).

Of course fans matter but sometimes there are bigger and more important agendas at work.

Leeds is not the most stable company to work for at the moment and maybe he feels rather then risk his livelyhood he needs to move to another?

You would know more then me about him but does he seem the type of person who could be classed as a "mercenary"?
    No not at all , and totally agree with you about state of Leeds arm , we signed 14 players in window including 5 strikers and a very highly promising Brazilian Adryan who is tipped to go on to big things , fact that man utd, real , Barca have a looked at him tells you that', he only on loan from Brazilian side flamenco , so I guess he didn't come cheap
    Plus yesterday we signed 2 strikers from serie b
    Whete we seem to sign everybody these days
    But totally agree with what you say yes
  • The_don1The_don1 Posts: 17,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robbedin73 wrote: »
    No not at all , and totally agree with you about state of Leeds arm , we signed 14 players in window including 5 strikers and a very highly promising Brazilian Adryan who is tipped to go on to big things , fact that man utd, real , Barca have a looked at him tells you that', he only on loan from Brazilian side flamenco , so I guess he didn't come cheap
    Plus yesterday we signed 2 strikers from serie b
    Whete we seem to sign everybody these days
    But totally agree with what you say yes

If he dont seem the type then maybe its to blanace the books or the misses nagged him about moving to London
  • celesticelesti Posts: 25,995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A contract is a club getting insurance against a player walking out for nothing.
    Forum Member
    The_don1 wrote: »
    If he dont seem the type then maybe its to blanace the books or the misses nagged him about moving to London

http://m.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/leeds-united/latest-whites-news
  • mattlambmattlamb Posts: 4,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And Leeds got a good offer. They wouldn't have done if Matt Smith had not signed a new contract
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    mattlamb wrote: »
    And Leeds got a good offer. They wouldn't have done if Matt Smith had not signed a new contract

Exactly. The contract protects both parties.
  • Joey_JJoey_J Posts: 5,146
    Forum Member
    celesti wrote: »
    A contract is a club getting insurance against a player walking out for nothing.

Exactly

It generally helps keep the players price competitive so a Club doesn't get shafted
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    Joey_J wrote: »
    Exactly

It generally helps keep the players price competitive so a Club doesn't get shafted

Alternatively, the player could sign for a club with an intention, from the outset, of actually playing for them for the duration of said contract, and of doing his best for the club that has made a commitment to providing him with a living.

I know..... it's an old fashioned concept and it must seem so odd to the twenty first century football fan. What..? Show some professional integrity..? Whatever would his agent say..?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The vast majority of players put in full effort regardless of contract status or transfer interest, even in the twenty-first century where everything isn't sepia-toned and amazing.
  • Corkhead.Corkhead. Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    The vast majority of players put in full effort regardless of contract status or transfer interest, even in the twenty-first century where everything isn't sepia-toned and amazing.

And yet all we ever hear about is transfer news..... more transfer news.....

Players who demand that their club sign better players in order to "show their ambition".......

Managers who are too scared to criticise players who aren't trying because they're scared that they'll "lose the dressing room", which is footballspeak for "They'll play crap so we lose matches and I get the sack" (Quote Gary Lineker: "It's great being a player because when I'm rubbish, it's the manager who gets the blame")

Youngsters like Diego Poyet (son of Gus), enjoying the benefit of being brought up at Charlton Athletic, and getting valuable league experience as a young player, and yet as soon as it's time for him to sign a full time contract with a club, he ups and runs off to West Ham. Why stay at the Valley, where the club has been good to you.... nurtured you..... given you all your breaks? Why not help Charlton to get into the Premiership? Nah. Far easier to take a freebie across the Thames and warm the bench for a fatter contract than Charlton could have offered.

I could go on but at the risk of being sepia tinted, these seem to me to be things that are prevalent in the game today in a way that they weren't before the advent of the Premiership.

Whilst you may reasonably argue that the majority of players do do their best, the reasons for their efforts are different to what they once were.

Players used to have genuine commitment to a club. We used to have something called "The One Club Man". Blokes like Bobby Charlton, Tom Finney. Those sort of blokes who played for one club for their entire career, either because that was where they had decided to settle or it was their home town club. Like Wayne Rooney, Brian Labone was born in Liverpool. He played for Everton (and England). I don't know if he ever said "Once a Blue, always a Blue", but if he did, his career record suggests he would have meant it.

The professional footballer was happy (and some said they felt privileged) to be playing football for a living. It wasn't all about "Medduls and Munnies."

Players had greater integrity. The words "Professional Footballer" meant something completely different to what they mean now. They wanted to win, for sure, but that was because they were competitive by nature, not because it would enhance their transfer value.

Sure some players moved around. Always have done. The reasons for that were many and varied but agents sure as hell weren't involved, pulling the strings, inflating the price, inserting get out clauses into contracts and playing mind games with the media.

The modern player is a 21st century mercenary and we should acknowledge and recognise that. Stop treating them as "stars" and giving them the adoration and hero worship that frankly, I think footballers are no longer entitled to.

Footballers used to be called "Saturday's Heroes". I don't think that applies any more. Not in the real sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corkhead. wrote: »
    And yet all we ever hear about is transfer news..... more transfer news.....

Because 'coming next: some lads are happy where they are' doesn't really sell papers or attract viewers.

The rest is just 'football after 1992 is terrible' spread out over 30 meandering paragraphs.
  • Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because 'coming next: some lads are happy where they are' doesn't really sell papers or attract viewers.

The rest is just 'football after 1992 is terrible' spread out over 30 meandering paragraphs.

'Like'.

Football players want to earn as much money as they can. It was ever thus.

'Loyalty' and 'commitment' are concepts that don't apply.
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,888
    Forum Member
    'Like'.

Football players want to earn as much money as they can. It was ever thus.

'Loyalty' and 'commitment' are concepts that don't apply.

Not all of them. There are still some, even if it's a minority, that are happy playing football.