Alison Moyet is looking very thin, wonder why???

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    asp746 wrote: »
    nah, she's been slim since the lat 90s cos i remember seeing her bbc breakfast and couldn't believe my eyes. that was in the days before gastric bands.

she's looking great - fab voice - if she toured i'd pay to see her.

Alison is on tour in the UK in November and December of this year - she always sounds amazing live (and enjoys great banter with her audiences) - check her website for dates.
    like many female artistes from the 1980s (thinking kate bush, annie lennox, sade, enya) they are more private about their personal life and every now and then give a glimpse into their lives.

she was and still is a great voice and a beautiful lady.

(but do we need another greatest hits i ask....)

Sony were going to release a Greatest Hits anyway, but Alison's involvement helped persuade them to include more recent material from her last three albums, none of which is included in any previous collections. There is also a 2nd disc where Alison and her band have recorded (as live) her take on some of her back catalogue. Some brilliant reworkings on there - All Cried Out very dark and smouldering, Is This Love now a poignant wistful number rescued from its jangly 80s origins.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As she is not promoting a diet book or exercise DVD or weight loss food or product, she has no vested interests in losing weight apart from doing it because she wanted to so however she did it is of no relevance to anyone apart from herself.

She looks fabulous and I reckon I know her secret formula for weight loss - she was motivated, she ate less and she exercised more. It worked for me :)
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    vidalia wrote: »
    As she is not promoting a diet book or exercise DVD or weight loss food or product, she has no vested interests in losing weight apart from doing it because she wanted to so however she did it is of no relevance to anyone apart from herself.

She looks fabulous and I reckon I know her secret formula for weight loss - she was motivated, she ate less and she exercised more. It worked for me :)

That's what I think she did too. Why is it so hard to believe? A person can easily drop a stone every three months healthily so if she started in 2008 it's easy to see how she could have lost, say, four stone for example.
  • chuffnobblerchuffnobbler Posts: 10,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've seen Alison on tour a couple of times, saw her onstage in the play Smaller with Dawn French, and saw her onstage at pride int he mid 90s. She's just BRILLIANT, and I am trying to decide whether I can afford to see her on her current tour (she isn't cheap).

The new album will be great, as her last two-or-three albums have been her best. Hometime is very slinky and sexy, and worlds away from her 80s poppy stuff. She released a live CD back in the mid 90s, and I was listening to it at the weekend. She's a great performer. Really one of the best.

I'm a bit stunned by those photos at the Da**y Ma*l website, though. There's nothing left of her.
  • conchieconchie Posts: 14,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its been very interesting reading this thread. It seems these days that there can be no way OTHER than surgical intervention now which explains a person's weight loss. Has the idea that a person sticking rigidly to a diet and exercising more will result in a substantial weight loss vanished into folklore. Seems so. Strange times we live in.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    conchie wrote: »
    Its been very interesting reading this thread. It seems these days that there can be no way OTHER than surgical intervention now which explains a person's weight loss. Has the idea that a person sticking rigidly to a diet and exercising more will result in a substantial weight loss vanished into folklore. Seems so. Strange times we live in.

Not only is it suggested that you can lose weight only by surgical means but there is also the implication that this has been done secretly in order to hoodwink the public who HAVE A RIGHT TO KNOW!!!!
  • lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Well said. Absolutely bizarre mindset. :)
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore her voice. She was a big girl and she did have a breast reduction in the 80's.

It is possible to lose large amounts of weight by eating healthily and exercising, as several on here have said. I was talking to girl just this morning who has lost nearly 6 stones in about 18 months. She is looking really good and has no loose skin, which many end up with if they choose weight loss surgery.

Personally I think people who resort to weight loss surgery are really not addressing the issues they have with food and few of them re-educate themselves. But if anyone pays to have it done to themselves then I have no objection. Their body, their cash.

What I do object to is expecting the NHS to pay because they feel it is their "right" and because they have no self-discipline or commitment.

People can "cure" their obesity problem themselves without costing the NHS money by following a healthier lifestyle. It is obscene that we are paying MILLIONS every year for these ops.
  • parthyparthy Posts: 5,408
    Forum Member
    Hotgossip wrote: »

Personally I think people who resort to weight loss surgery are really not addressing the issues they have with food and few of them re-educate themselves. But if anyone pays to have it done to themselves then I have no objection. Their body, their cash.

So true!
  • ppaupyppaupy Posts: 2,729
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I adore her voice. She was a big girl and she did have a breast reduction in the 80's.

It is possible to lose large amounts of weight by eating healthily and exercising, as several on here have said. I was talking to girl just this morning who has lost nearly 6 stones in about 18 months. She is looking really good and has no loose skin, which many end up with if they choose weight loss surgery.

What I do object to is expecting the NHS to pay because they feel it is their "right" and because they have no self-discipline or commitment.

People can "cure" their obesity problem themselves without costing the NHS money by following a healthier lifestyle. It is obscene that we are paying MILLIONS every year for these ops.

as i have mentioned on this thread already i had a gastric band fitted jan 08 and have no regrets at all..not on the nhs.

but had i been able to be funded by the nhs i would of course had it done with them.

surely by someone having an operation to once and for all address the weight problem and therefore maybe not need very costly care for lots of weight related issues later on in life then that must be a good thing surely?

i dont smoke or drink both of which cost the nhs billions every year for people needing treatment for issues around both addictions,yet people that have a weight problem are more often than not told use more will power this seems narrow minded and short sighted in my humble opinion

for one...from the moment we are born we have to eat..no-one is born with a vodka and coke or a cigarette,yet both drinking and smoking are seen as something that we have to treat with more respect than someone with an addiction to food.
  • martinamerlotmartinamerlot Posts: 3,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gastric band or not, she looks amazing. Mind you, I always thought that she did. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gastric band or not, she looks amazing. Mind you, I always thought that she did. :)

yes me too.:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think she looks fantastic and good on her however she's lost the weight. I hope I look that good when I'm her age.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ppaupy wrote: »
    as i have mentioned on this thread already i had a gastric band fitted jan 08 and have no regrets at all..not on the nhs.

but had i been able to be funded by the nhs i would of course had it done with them.

surely by someone having an operation to once and for all address the weight problem and therefore maybe not need very costly care for lots of weight related issues later on in life then that must be a good thing surely?

i dont smoke or drink both of which cost the nhs billions every year for people needing treatment for issues around both addictions,yet people that have a weight problem are more often than not told use more will power this seems narrow minded and short sighted in my humble opinion

for one...from the moment we are born we have to eat..no-one is born with a vodka and coke or a cigarette,yet both drinking and smoking are seen as something that we have to treat with more respect than someone with an addiction to food.

Sorry ppaupy I haven't read all the thread.

I hear your argument but the facts are:-

If you have cancer and you stop smoking you will not cure your cancer.

If your liver needs replacing, stopping drinking will not cure it.

However, if you are really overweight you can "cure" yourself by eating less and adopting a healthier lifestyle. That's really marvellous when you think about it. :)Marvellous and TRUE.

I also take issue with your claim that the NHS will save money by giving people these ops and they'll lose weight once and for all.

Firstly, it is very common for these ops to go wrong and people often need further surgery. Then there's the need to keep having the bands filled. Vitamins, minerals etc. Often people need counselling because they develop addictions to other things once they don't get their fix from food. Many people need surgery to remove excess skin because their weight loss is unnaturally fast.

Secondly, people sometimes have to have their bands removed because they have so many health problems, and they gain weight again. Likewise, with the gastric bypass op, people are managing to stretch their reduced stomachs and are gaining weight.

Sorry, but I find your last para really negative. Of course we have to eat. :rolleyes: But we have choices!! It's just that fat people make the wrong choices. That really is a cop-out.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

However, if you are really overweight you can "cure" yourself by eating less and adopting a healthier lifestyle. That's really marvellous when you think about it. :)Marvellous and TRUE.

I also take issue with your claim that the NHS will save money by giving people these ops and they'll lose weight once and for all.

Firstly, it is very common for these ops to go wrong and people often need further surgery. Then there's the need to keep having the bands filled. Vitamins, minerals etc. Often people need counselling because they develop addictions to other things once they don't get their fix from food. Many people need surgery to remove excess skin because their weight loss is unnaturally fast.

Secondly, people sometimes have to have their bands removed because they have so many health problems, and they gain weight again. Likewise, with the gastric bypass op, people are managing to stretch their reduced stomachs and are gaining weight.

Sorry, but I find your last para really negative. Of course we have to eat. :rolleyes: But we have choices!! It's just that fat people make the wrong choices. That really is a cop-out.

I think this debate can go backwards and forwards with us both thinking we are right..so because of this i wont respond to any of the points you have raised but will just say maybe we can agree to disagree or risk this thread becoming a dull war of words.

have a good day.:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't sudden weight loss though - she started losing weight a few years back.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Me too - she has such fantastic skin!

And by the way Dawn French has the total right to be at the weight she is also.

Not all of us want to look like Orange Lollipops as per Pish Posh Buckham.

I wonder why it is that evolution is deemed to have stopped.

At one time we were on all fours - then we stood up - how do we know that evolution doesn't mean that we will all be heavier and that's just how the human race is meant to be?

Oh wait - that would stop santimonious people on internet forums looking down their supposed skinny noses at other people wouldn't it?
  • Coody MowCoody Mow Posts: 3,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I thought that....thanks! Have been reading this thread thinking people would be pleased for her and think how fab she looked..I thought she looked amazing when I read the paper on line yesterday! Can't believe some of the comments! Alot of bitter (and obviously very perfect) people on here!

I have lost 4 and a half stone in 3 years and have just over a stone to go and dropped 5 size's.......no surgery (not that there is anything wrong with that), no pills....just me and slow but sure will power! It can be done that way you know! I guess everyone looks at me now (and have had a few people not recognise me who hadn't seen me in that time) and says 'Well, she's obviously had a band, why doesn't she just admit it!'

Alison Moyet should be proud of herself...I am bloody proud of me and don't care who knows it! Well done everyone on here for the weight losses....however you did it. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't like listening to many female vocalists but Alison Moyet has a beautiful tone to her voice. My favourite of her's is "That Ole' devil called love."

I hope she isn't ill and that she still plays her saxophone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 190
    Forum Member
    I'm making this my first post on here as I think I need to have my say.

Some overweight people cannot just "cure" their problem by eating right and exersizing (sp?) some of them have a disability that prevents them from doing excessive exersize that they may have had since they were young and is totally unrelated to being overweight.

For instance I am a big girl, I have muscular dystrophy and its gotten to the point where I can't walk around alot but I'm not confined to a wheelchair. I literally cannot walk very fast and I have to take breaks in between walking for around 5 minutes as my legs are in pain. On top of this I have an overactive thyroid. I literally eat one meal a day at tea time I can't snack, If I eat breakfast and dinner I will gain past my current weight. Due to not being able to work I can't afford to pay for a gastric band myself and the doctor has offered it to me on the NHS to which I declined BUT I thing it's my right to want to be healthier and not to die of a heart attack because i'm obese.

Anyway to the theory of Hotgossip I shouldn't be allowed to have it on the NHS and I should lose the weight naturally. I'd like to know how when I'm only eating one meal a day and getting up to walk around as often as my legs will allow.

Some people are very narrow minded when it comes to people being overweight. It's not everyones choice some people just can't help it. If I could be thin without having to be cut open I would in a heartbeat but even my doctor has said he can't see a way around it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of people blaming people being fat on food.
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The press and the great unwashed public who just repeat everything in the press:
    "You're too fat, get slim, you're too fat"

Overweight person does something about it
    Press and the proles
    "You're too thin, you're supposed to be fat, you cheated, you should've done it another way, put the weight back on"

Sometimes, you've just got to stop attacking people. The way the OP has gone for Moyet is disgusting. She's lost weight, isn't that what you celeb obsessed types want of anyone.... Oh yeah, unless they actually do, of course. :rolleyes::eek:
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You take objection, yet no one provides any statistics.
    At the end of the day, people who weigh less will have less health problems later on. If the NHS helping people now means less cost in the future then that is a good thing.

Having a flapping jaw that spits out conservative nonsense that chides the fatty for being fat, then having the gaul to try and do something about it... Oh well, dear me. HOW DARE THEY. How could you possibly feel better about yourself if you can't look down your nose at them anymore? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
  • STEVE 03STEVE 03 Posts: 7,856
    Forum Member
    I really loved Alison Moyet's music in the 80's and early 90's, all her songs were great, but I've not liked her more recent stuff though.

It's good to see she's lost the weight. It must have been recent because she looked overweight when she reformed 'Yazoo' with former band mate Vince Clarke in 2008 :)
  • MoDingleMoDingle Posts: 4,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    krkrkr wrote: »

:mad::mad:

That makes me so bl**dy annoyed - some folk - like me - work hard to lose weight - and then have ignorant folk accuse you of 'having a band' - disgusting - lots of folk do it themselves :mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm making this my first post on here as I think I need to have my say.

Some overweight people cannot just "cure" their problem by eating right and exersizing (sp?) some of them have a disability that prevents them from doing excessive exersize that they may have had since they were young and is totally unrelated to being overweight.

For instance I am a big girl, I have muscular dystrophy and its gotten to the point where I can't walk around alot but I'm not confined to a wheelchair. I literally cannot walk very fast and I have to take breaks in between walking for around 5 minutes as my legs are in pain. On top of this I have an overactive thyroid. I literally eat one meal a day at tea time I can't snack, If I eat breakfast and dinner I will gain past my current weight. Due to not being able to work I can't afford to pay for a gastric band myself and the doctor has offered it to me on the NHS to which I declined BUT I thing it's my right to want to be healthier and not to die of a heart attack because i'm obese.

Anyway to the theory of Hotgossip I shouldn't be allowed to have it on the NHS and I should lose the weight naturally. I'd like to know how when I'm only eating one meal a day and getting up to walk around as often as my legs will allow.

Some people are very narrow minded when it comes to people being overweight. It's not everyones choice some people just can't help it. If I could be thin without having to be cut open I would in a heartbeat but even my doctor has said he can't see a way around it.

Sorry for the rant, I'm just tired of people blaming people being fat on food.

I think you mean underactive. An underactive thyroid causes you to gain weight. Overactive thyroid makes it very difficult for you to keep weight on.

It doesn't sound good that you are going all night and then all day right round to tea-time without eating. Why are you not eating healthy food which is low in calories (and will not cause you to gain weight) for breakfast and lunch?

I don't mean to be rude but have you ever discussed this with a dietician because eating one meal a day and nothing else is very unhealthy. You will feel worn out, possibly depressed and your skin & hair will also suffer.

I have 2 friends who are both in wheelchairs and they have had to watch what they eat for years. They could sit there all day eating crisps and chocolate but they don't. It is essential that they don't gain weight. One has MS and cannot even stand unaided now. The other is paraplegic following a car accident many years ago. If she does not keep her weight down her legs swell and she is uncomfortable in her chair. She also loves beautiful clothes and her choice is limited when she is bigger. They are both also very conscious of the fact that their husbands have to lift & carry them so it would be unfair to make them carry extra stones.