Options

BBC North West Today Breakfast Bulletins Amateurish

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Agree,concerning Eno.She must be the only forecaster to strangle the name of the County of Cumbria,so it sounds more like the Portuguese City of Coimbra.LOL.

Her favourite phrase is talking about the sunshine "on offer", as if she's operating some sort of weather sale. :D
  • Options
    technoflaretechnoflare Posts: 2,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think any regions are self-op any more. Leeds used to be before they moved into the new building in 2004. The regions do have a lot of automation though, as does News Channel, especially since the move earlier this year.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tuesday 16th July
    The 6:25am bulletin had really bad sound

It started during Stephs item, on BBC breakfast, she suddenly became all open and distant, as NWT pre-opted out of Network.

Then for all the recorded items, again open and distant sound during the bulletin.

The Weather, slightly open and distant, then very echoey halfway through

I get the impression that the presenter shouldn't cough, because it sounded like there was a loudspeaker in the studio, being picked up by the presenters microphone.

This is an ongoing problem, that NWT seem reluctant to address.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    Tuesday 16th July
    The 6:25am bulletin had really bad sound

It started during Stephs item, on BBC breakfast, she suddenly became all open and distant, as NWT pre-opted out of Network.

Then for all the recorded items, again open and distant sound during the bulletin.

The Weather, slightly open and distant, then very echoey halfway through

I get the impression that the presenter shouldn't cough, because it sounded like there was a loudspeaker in the studio, being picked up by the presenters microphone.

This is an ongoing problem, that NWT seem reluctant to address.

And again, today Wednesday 24th July

Not only was the BBC Breakfast Network sound echoey, reporter in a forest, just before the local switch...... !!! but so were the clips.

The Weather sounded like it was in an echo chamber.

And a trainee video editor, all the clips changed shot just before the cut back to presenter, do they not train them these days to let the last shot linger to cover any slight timings errors ?

It's always the same presenter, the same tech crew too ?

No, it isn't self-op.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few days to lull you into a false sense of security and competence.

Shattered this Tuesday morning 6th August.

Usual problems, lazy / apparently incompetent trainee? doing the sound mixing, presenter mic left open all through the bulletin.

Person interviewed outside, sound like he is in a toilet, all echoey.

The weather, extremely echoey.

Can they not hear how bad it sounds ?

Or are they one of these that has the prog sound turned right down, and the talkback turned fully up ?

There were also spurious captions, and a newish presenter who cannot get her words out correctly, she is new though, some allowance, nervous..

This sound problem re-occurs often ,yet nothing is done about it ?
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably don't bother to watch their own programme
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was passed on to someone higher up the chain before, yet again, nothing was done, despite promises.
  • Options
    Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ha Ha

Every time I see another post from Stigid on this thread I think 'What have the poor devils done wrong now!?'
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wednesday 2nd October 2013

Two Interviews, inside, sat down guests, very low quality, during IOM Windfarms, football clips.

Recorded on Mobile phones ???
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh, I was missing this thread!

By the looks of things they almost went two whole months without a problem of any description.

So that's 6 bullies a morning= 30 a week = approx. 240 faultless opts.

:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, I was missing this thread!

By the looks of things they almost went two whole months without a problem of any description.

So that's 6 bullies a morning= 30 a week = approx. 240 faultless opts.

:D

Not really, there's at least one a day !!!

But I try to avoid repetition....

This morning, apparently a faulty camera (operator!!), corrected in editing, better than it was, but still bad !!

A bit like a really underexposed dark photo, corrected on computer.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So, so many mistakes I gave up posting for a while.....

However today Monday 3rd March 6:25am bulletin was a biggy...

Late cut to NWT so we saw BBC London.

Then near the end of NWT Bulletin, announced "we cannot bring you the weather due to a technical problem" !!

They didn't even attempt to read out the Weather On Air.

Instead, a very early cut to BBC London Weather.

NWT really is a joke, especially Monday mornings, with a certain crew !!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The next Day..... Tuesday 4th March 6:25am

I do love the 6:25 bulletins

This morning, we had a whole minute of BBC London Bulletin before someone at NWT realised, and flipped the switch in the Gallery !!

BBC London Presenter is so much prettier, and friendlier.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stigid wrote: »
    The next Day..... Tuesday 4th March 6:25am

I do love the 6:25 bulletins

This morning, we had a whole minute of BBC London Bulletin before someone at NWT realised, and flipped the switch in the Gallery !!

BBC London Presenter is so much prettier, and friendlier.

Stigid- It feels like this is your own personal thread, although I occasionally keep you company/

I'm sure these failed opts must be something to do with the fact that your local news shares the Breakfast studio. I thought all the opts were switched automatically from a central control area (rather than each regional studio having an opt button they pushed) London, I think is supposed to switch a split second after everyone else to prevent those annoying split second appearance of something you aren't meant to see.

But for north west to constantly be way out of synch suggests their opts aren't automatically switched like everyone else.
  • Options
    michael1152michael1152 Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It must be so annoying if the northwest presenter is sitting there and no one can see what they're saying half the time if the opt-out isn't switched out the right time. They must feel like they are wasting their time sitting there for the 3 minutes each time.
  • Options
    secretagentsecretagent Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been shocking these past two days - I'm fed up of hearing Londons news/traffic problems/weather.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It has been shocking these past two days - I'm fed up of hearing Londons news/traffic problems/weather.

Let them know, give them some feedback

nwt@bbc.co.uk
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Monday mornings are not good for the amateurs at NWT

What a shambles today.

Exterior interviewees x 3, studio mic and loud loudspeaker colouring the sound.

And
    Wrong inserts, in the wrong places, repeated clips.

No autocue at one point, reading head down off a script.

Oooh, I do enjoy Monday Mornings NWT Bulletins with this team .

Did anyone else enjoy the fun this morning ?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,636
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to go around the regions during Breakfast and saw the 7.55am bulitten today. A shambles indeed, wrong clips and no clips, wrong map shown and at the wrong time, a picture freeze and the presenter seemed nervous and unsure.
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    I quite agree that these bulletins are far too often amateurish and mistake ridden.

Mind you, I was somewhat surprised to see Andy Crane (he of the CBBC broom cupboard fame) reading the headlines on Granada Reports this morning. It's fair to say he wasn't very good at reading autocue.

Maybe BBC NWT should hire him, he'd be perfect :D
  • Options
    Mark CMark C Posts: 20,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like to go around the regions during Breakfast and saw the 7.55am bulitten today. A shambles indeed, wrong clips and no clips, wrong map shown and at the wrong time, a picture freeze and the presenter seemed nervous and unsure.

Well, BBC North West Tonight has been nominated today for a BAFTA :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/baftas/10749101/Bafta-TV-Awards-2014-the-nominations.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Friday 9th May
    07:45 to 08:05 ish

BBC World News ????

News channel and BBC1 NWT Opt

Is there a problem at Salford ?

It's an evacuation

http://twitpic.com/e3beki

Not Amateurish though, very Professional in fact

And some very quick email replies from NWT this morning, with details.

Much appreciated
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fire alarm/evacuation apparently.

It happens ........
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Fire alarm/evacuation apparently.

It happens ........

I agree, things happen. I generally go to the BBC for my news.

But you know what, and I mean this sincerely, BBC North West is often a shambles.

Granada must laugh at them :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mersey70 wrote: »
    But you know what, and I mean this sincerely, BBC North West is often a shambles.

Friday 8th May, Evening Bulletin...

Item on missing boy, body found....

Reporter quite clearly stated, over video of Police in a dinghy on a Lake, that they were UNDERCOVER POLICE.

When in fact, they would have been UNDERWATER POLICE.

An easy slip of the tongue, but how many people, from reporter, to video editor, to programme people, must have seen this before transmission ?

I spotted it the second it was said, and unfortunately, this happens all too often...