Options

Free Tivo installation?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
Forum Member
Hi guys, i am a current Virgin media customer, with phone BB and standard TV.

I was wondering if there are any offers out there that will allow for me to upgrade to a Tivo box for free?

Comments

• Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could try ringing up VM and threaten to cancel unless you get free Tivo installation. Some people have managed it. Just depends on what rep you get to speak to and how they are doing on their targets.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So i gave them a call, bluffed that i had a sky rep at my door offering me all sorts for £50pm

VM has offered me, 50m BB, Talk weekends and line rental, L TV Package and free Tivo for £30.99 pm. Not too shabby
  • Options
    Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    karnage wrote: »
    So i gave them a call, bluffed that i had a sky rep at my door offering me all sorts for £50pm

VM has offered me, 50m BB, Talk weekends and line rental, L TV Package and free Tivo for £30.99 pm. Not too shabby

...except for your behaviour. They call it lying where I come from.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ernie_C wrote: »

They call it lying wher I come from too :)
  • Options
    mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member

Perhaps we could apply the same logic to the Virgin Media adverts that have been banned by the ASA for being less than truthful over the last several years.

Not one or two mind, well over a few dozen :o
  • Options
    56up56up Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Agreed. I got a genuine quote from Sky and used that. New subscribers to any service are usually wooed with low initial costs and that includes Sky, BT and TalkTalk.

If you are out of contract VM will usually go some way to accommodate your request.
  • Options
    jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go for the XL Tv pack and you'll get it installed for nothing.
  • Options
    Ryan_AdolphoRyan_Adolpho Posts: 129
    Forum Member
    You can also install tivo yourself now for free. Usually a delivery charge of £20 but that's being waived at the minute
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
    Forum Member
    I just called them and asked for a self install but the agent insisted he would charge me the £20. Anyone actually got a free installation yet?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    I always get free install and that's simply down to using the cancellation line etc and negotiating. Both my tivos were installed for free and I got the super hub 2 thrown in last time. I also had my second box upgraded from 500 gig to 1tb. But that was due to a complaint.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I can't really use the cancellation line. I've just paid up front for a year's phone line so I don't think they'd believe me :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well no wonder they want to charge you then. You need to get the best deals you can when your contract expires.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I've been with them since they were Nynex. My contract expired long ago. I called them again yesterday and wheedled. They're sending it for free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Why wouldn't they have believe you about cancelling then? Some people leave days after joining never mind with an expired contract.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because I'd just paid them £144 for a year's phone rental a week earlier?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Called up to complain about a higher than average bill, was informed that VM were starting new packages the following Wednesday (this was a couple of months back) which would be cheaper. I simply said that I was interested, but hesitant due to the installation fee for Tivo, so they waived the charge thankfully. Been a VM customer for around 13 years now, so was long out of contract. Saved around £25-£30 p/m now.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but don't take the mick by asking too much. End of the day the lady on the phone was very nice and understanding and seemed to want to help.