Options

OAP's Shopping Today!

Comments

• Options
    big brother 9big brother 9 Posts: 18,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?? >:( They have all week to do their shopping but decide to do it on the busiest shopping day of the year! Clogging up public transport and slowing everyone down in the streets.

One gave me a funny look for not giving up my seat on the bus. I didn't care, go shopping in the week you old mare.

They should restrict the free bus passes to weekdays only!
    owl61uk wrote: »
    Never mind you will be old and duddery one day
    Bastards! How DARE they even be alive let alone cluttering up the buses and shops >:(
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Wow, so much hatred at a time of peace and joy?? they are as entitled to be shopping today as you are, you will be one of them one day if you are lucky( or unlucky as you see it )
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    How do you know they've got all week to do their shopping and aren't caring for a husband/wife at home, or visiting them in a care home during certain times in the week? How do you know what money they have available at certain times?
    You don't own the shops, the high street or public transport.
    blueblade wrote: »
    I agree with that bit.
    planets wrote: »
    most of them have had their pensions cut so badly they are probably in full time work......
    I just don't see the logic in it for them.
    I don't see the logic in you assuming they have nothing else to do throughout the week and shouldn't be allowed out in public causing a nuisance to the likes of you at weekends .........
    They may well have a job or do courses/ voluntary work during the week. The seniors I know might be retired but their lives are often busier than when they were working!
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Maybe, like my mum, they don't drive and were waiting for the weekend so their kids could take them shopping - just a thought?
    paralax wrote: »
    Give me an elderly person over the buggy and badly behaved brat brigade any day. And why pick on the elderly, stay at home mum's have all week as well.
    Don't think OP has any insight further than themself, these thoughts will be more like huge revelations and major discoveries.
    Uh-oh...
    tim59 wrote: »
    You dont know if the week end is the only time they might be able to do their shopping, you would be surprised how many are caring for aloved one and even looking after grandchildren in the week while the childrens parents go to work, i know a couple who do this because of childcare costs,
    QT 3.14 wrote: »
    Piss poor attempt.

1/10
    dorydaryl wrote: »
    Very mean-spirited thread. So sorry they inconvenienced YOU!
    planets wrote: »
    yes indeed i can't imagine how upsetting "the funny look" must have been i hope the OP gets some counselling to get over the horror...
    And the WUM thread of the day award goes to...... :D
    avasgranny wrote: »
    Are you always a miserable shite op? What happened to the good will to all (wo)men train of thought most of us have? Especially at this time of year. :D
    my mother didn`t give up work until she was 82, she had to do her shit at the weekend and why shouldn`t she, whether or not.
    KJ44 wrote: »
    Punch them in the face 'cos that'll learn 'em not to waste your time plus they're so crumbly even the ones who fought in three world wars will break a bone if they hit back. Grow a pair, stop posting on here and go sort out Tescos now.

/s
    Here here
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why?? >:( They have all week to do their shopping but decide to do it on the busiest shopping day of the year! Clogging up public transport and slowing everyone down in the streets.

One gave me a funny look for not giving up my seat on the bus. I didn't care, go shopping in the week you old mare.

This is bizarre because I had exactly the same thought this morning, why if you can't get around well would you goto town on the last Saturday before Christmas.
  • Options
    Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,834
    Forum Member
    I hope I do speak for everyone other than the op in this thread but can the mods please lock it. The op has already been given enough attention.

I get your drift but I don't think the OPs mean spirited prejudices should be concealed so easily.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    steveh31 wrote: »
    This is bizarre because I had exactly the same thought this morning, why if you can't get around well would you goto town on the last Saturday before Christmas.

Thank you! We're talking proper fragile OAP's here I'm not a betting man but I'm pretty sure their weekday lives would involve drinking tea and watching doctors.

If I was a fragile OAP I wouldn't want to go shopping in those crazy crowds.
  • Options
    Bare NecessitieBare Necessitie Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    Respect your elders.
  • Options
    RedOrDead36RedOrDead36 Posts: 1,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here here

Shouldn't that be Baa Baa
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member

And a happy Christmas to you too.
  • Options
    tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    Thank you! We're talking proper fragile OAP's here I'm not a betting man but I'm pretty sure their weekday lives would involve drinking tea and watching doctors.

If I was a fragile OAP I wouldn't want to go shopping in those crazy crowds.

Because thier entitled to have a good laugh and joke like the rest of us, watching other peoples faces go red with rage and frustaion because they are not in a rush and other people are. You dont get many laughs at thier age, and at least you have shown today they had the last laugh on you. Trust me people like you are easy to spot and they will make a bee line for you,
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I recognise this rant. Who were you before?
  • Options
    MissCharleyPMissCharleyP Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I too would rather have an elderly person than family with two parents and four loud kids clogging up the aisles in the shops.

^^ this!
    I used to get the bus to work in the mid-90's at about 7:30 a.m. Every day a lady I would describe as an OAP used to get the same bus and travel to the town centre. I used to wonder why - the shops didn't open till 9. It's only now, many years later I realise she was probably doing the same as me and going to work!
  • Options
    GPWGPW Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    I agree with that bit.

Sorry I don't, many old people live a loney live has it is, trying to restrict their movenments on certain days doesn't help.
  • Options
    franciefrancie Posts: 31,089
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this supposed to cause me outrage? Failed miserably I'm afraid.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    Give me an elderly person over the buggy and badly behaved brat brigade any day. And why pick on the elderly, stay at home mum's have all week as well.

I agree ! They were everywhere today, blocking the aisles In shops. It doesn't make life easier for the parents, and the kids obviously don't enjoy it. Why do they bother ?
  • Options
    lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    I'm pretty sure their weekday lives would involve drinking tea and watching doctors.

Now that's a slightly creepy hobby! :o
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    To be fair though.......if they're a bit doddery it's much easier to shove them out of the way
  • Options
    tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 22,325
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I stick to Internet shopping at Xmas nowadays so it's a while since I've visited our local high street for shopping at this time of year. However, could anyone enlighten me when it it became law for OAPs to have their age branded on their foreheads (sort of like the Mark of the Beast) so that indignant DS forum posters could tell whether or not they should have been chained to their beds?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Glad i wasn't on any bus today then...OAP's have those two wheely trolleys for all their shopping that takes up all spaces on buses, so annoying
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised there isn't a poll. Who do people find worse when out shopping..
    A. Old people who tend to be slow.
    B. Parents with buggies, particulary those huge double one's.
    C. Foreign tourists who obviously don't know their way around.
    Any others ?
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wait till the OP is in his 80's, then we can laugh at him.
  • Options
    CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any others ?
    People on scooters.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Any others ?

what about fat people ?

waddling around, blocking the doughnut and cake aisle at the supermarket, getting stuck in the space between the tills.......etc
  • Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any others ?

People who stare in shop windows with their mouths open then walk off still staring in the window and walk in front.

People who are waiting for people outside shops and idle around into the path.

People who see friends and they all stand in a group in the aisle of the shop having a great laugh while no one can get past.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CELT1987 wrote: »
    Wait till the OP is in his 80's, then we can laugh at him.

I won't be around then, so if it's all right I'll laugh now. Suppose I could have my coffin put in his/her favourite shopping street as an obstruction.:D

Any others ?
    Yes.
    Sulking, huffing young people who should be dossing in their beds all day instead of clogging up shopping centres with all their arses hanging out of their trousers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »
    what about fat people ?

waddling around, blocking the doughnut and cake aisle at the supermarket, getting stuck in the space between the tills.......etc

There all in Gregg's shop queuing up for a hot pie :D
  • Options
    EnidanEnidan Posts: 13,101
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Many old people like the hustle and bustle of being out and about, mingling with people other than the unemployed.