Worlds worst place to be gay BBC3 9pm

124»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Does anyone have a recording of this and "Father Ray Comes out", please?

Does anyone collect gay documentaries, please?

I always forget to set my box to record... :-(

Please PM if you can help.

Cheers,

Benny (bohemicus)
  • jonnyinscotlandjonnyinscotland Posts: 999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bohemicus wrote: »
    Does anyone have a recording of this and "Father Ray Comes out", please?

Does anyone collect gay documentaries, please?

I always forget to set my box to record... :-(

Please PM if you can help.

Cheers,

Benny (bohemicus)

On iPlayer if you have access to it: http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00yrt1c/The_Worlds_Worst_Place_to_Be_Gay/
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    According to the BBC web site:

NEXT ON:
    Friday, 02:45 on BBC Three

It's also on twice in the small hours of next Monday, thanks to BBC Three - the home of repeats.
  • SeanHunterSeanHunter Posts: 1,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "The wave of homophobia which is currently sweeping Africa..."

Never give money to any charity that helps Africa. Never.

If they put as much energy and fervour and determination into clothing, sheltering, feeding and educating themselves as they do into hating gays, they wouldn't need any outside aid.

Their own choice, and they are welcome to it. When they've killed the last gay on the continent they can piss off and build coffins for themselves - it's all they'll need.

I'm actually ashamed of myself for feeling as angry as this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 288
    Forum Member
    I watched this last night, I knew it was bad over there but I was still shocked by it, I guess it's more "real" to see it then to just read about it.

I wish Scott had asked better questions though.
  • TewingirlTewingirl Posts: 2,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    A lot of naivity on this thread.

I can't believe anyone is surprised at the homophobia apparent in the programme - there's a great deal of it amongst the black communtiies in the UK. It's a very macho culture. Uganda is, of couse, in The Commonwealth, and I do think the UK government should be far more vocal in it's opposition to the proposed bill. Part of the problem is that Blighty is very touchy on the subject of "enforcing Imperialist values", as the Empire has left a big chip on our collective shoulder.

The UK has only become gay-friendly in my lifetime, and was still locking up gay people as recently as the 60s. Google "Alan Turing" - the WWII code cracking genius who topped himself after The State learned of his secret.

I guess Mills was the right choice given BBC3's target audience, but he is only a dippy DJ and was always going to fail to meet the true challenge of this programme. Personally I can't stick him - a known homosexual who love to peddle hetero sexploits on his show, which he thinks is ironic (and his obsession with all things toilet). He did OK, but as a gay man I shuddered on several occasions at his campness.

It's highly unlikely this mentality will ever change in Africa. The same closed and corrupt minds are the biggest obstacle to it ever getting near to it's potential in any capacity. It's very un-PC to claim moral superiority, but in this we can.

It is sickening that you claim it a "black" problem. Have you ever read the Daily Heil? What about the Christian "white" right in the US. There are homophobes in every culture and religion is probably the biggest cause of it.

Hope this makes you as a white person feel superior though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,445
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tewingirl wrote: »
    It is sickening that you claim it a "black" problem. Have you ever read the Daily Heil? What about the Christian "white" right in the US. There are homophobes in every culture and religion is probably the biggest cause of it.

Hope this makes you as a white person feel superior though.

Well said.
  • tv.marktv.mark Posts: 1,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is sickening that you claim it a "black" problem.

He (or she) didn't say any such thing.

Makes the rest of your post a bit pointless.

The programme was not about the American right, it was about Uganda, which is why I would think the poster then referred to the black "community" in the UK. This does not seem unreasonable, as you seem to believe it is.

To be honest I think your post is more typical of the knee-jerk reactions of the Daily Mail than the post you criticise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tv.mark wrote: »

The programme was not about the American right, it was about Uganda, which is why I would think the poster then referred to the black "community" in the UK. This does not seem unreasonable, as you seem to believe it is.

To be honest I think your post is more typical of the knee-jerk reactions of the Daily Mail than the post you criticise.

Yes he did - he said homophobia is a problem amongst the "black communities" in the UK. What about the white Christian communities in the UK? The ones always droning on in the Daily Mail about being against gay church weddings. Why make this into a black problem when it isn't? I read it just as it was said and I think it is an awful interpretation. Homosexuality is also illegal in Singapore and many other countries. It is NOT just a black problem okay!
  • jagged_deathjagged_death Posts: 8,652
    Forum Member
    Yes he did - he said homophobia is a problem amongst the "black communities" in the UK. What about the white Christian communities in the UK? The ones always droning on in the Daily Mail about being against gay church weddings. Why make this into a black problem when it isn't? I read it just as it was said and I think it is an awful interpretation. Homosexuality is also illegal in Singapore and many other countries. It is NOT just a black problem okay!

It's a black problem, a Christian right problem and Daily Heil reader problem. Stop adding in the word "just" to suit your own agenda.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a black problem, a Christian right problem and Daily Heil reader problem. Stop adding in the word "just" to suit your own agenda.

Hmmm, my agenda? The post I was responding to said: "It's very un-PC to claim moral superiority, but in this we can."

They are claiming moral superiority over this issue. That really beggars belief.

For instance, in the UK it appears that the vast majority of paedophiles are white. So, I should be entitled to say, based on a documentary of paedophilia in the UK, that black people can claim moral superiority regarding this issue? That would be incredibly ignorant and wrong, just as trevgo is being ignorant and wrong. There is paedophilia in all countries - it is not JUST a white UK problem, or a white community problem, just as homophobia is NOT just a "black communities problem". To say so is racist, erroneous and incredibly ignorant.
  • Stefano92Stefano92 Posts: 66,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watching it now for the first time.
    I hate watching this.... I wonder if it will ever be okay to be gay in Uganda.
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Salv* wrote: »
    Watching it now for the first time.
    I hate watching this.... I wonder if it will ever be okay to be gay in Uganda.

It's a really tough watch. Mills does well in this, especially later on.

Not gay myself, but that hardly matters cause people would have to be ****ing stupid to not get angry over this programme.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Launch Fan wrote: »
    It's a really tough watch. Mills does well in this, especially later on.

Not gay myself, but that hardly matters cause people would have to be ****ing stupid to not get angry over this programme.

It is definitely making me angry, When they say "they should be killed", I actually want to punch each of them in the face.

"Reduce your life for 24 years" yes okay, if he says so.

I mean, I was born in the 90s so I'm not sure what life in the UK was like for gay people in the 60s, but surely even back then, it can't be as bad as Uganda now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is it racist if I say I hate (yes HATE) around 90% of the Ugandan population?

I like the fact Scott is getting annoyed with this bloke. I would LOVE for these people to walk into a Brighton bar and bump into a bunch of big lads and see if they say anything.
  • Charlie ChuckCharlie Chuck Posts: 2,428
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brixton, swinging a man-bag.
  • yoko onoyoko ono Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tv.mark wrote: »

But if the programme had been about the American right....would the poster then had referred to the white ''community'' in the UK. Think not somehow.