Options

Scientology's Disgrace: An Open Letter To Tom Cruise

The DoveThe Dove Posts: 1,221
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A New York journalist has published a stinging open letter to Tom Cruise about his involvement with the Church of Scientology.

Tony Ortega, Editor of 'The Village Voice', wrote on the newspaper's website that:
It's time for you (Cruise) to start talking publicly about Scientology again. Your religion is in serious trouble.
He goes on to detail a recent court case featuring a former Scientology executive, Debbie Cook, whom Cruise would have known. During the course of the court hearing, some quite serious allegations were made by her against Scientology leader, David Miscavige, a close friend of the actor and best man at his wedding to Katie Holmes.

Ortega also refers to reports this week that the Church forced children to work long hours for next to little pay, adding:
Here's what you must begin to deal with, Tom: you are the public face for an organization that is becoming known for confining and torturing its own executives, that is employing children of public school age in ways that would make a nineteenth-century foreman blush. You are the symbol for an organization that beats confessions of homosexuality out of high-ranking members. That asks children to work around the clock without a chance to get real schooling. That does all this with claims that it is somehow helping the planet.
Asking Cruise to give his side of the story, Ortega continues:
I want to hear what you know about how Debbie Cook was treated, about how children are serving in the Sea Org, about how women in the Sea Org are coerced into abortions so they can keep working 100-hour weeks without the distraction of pregnancy and childbirth.
The letter can be read in full at http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2012/02/scientologys_di.php

In the interests of fairness, I have to add the Church of Scientology has always denied any claims of ill-treatment of members.

However, as criticism of the organisation keeps growing in the media, does anyone think Cruise will want to continue his public association with the Church? What can he do now the press is linking him to these claims?

Kudos to Tony Ortrga as well because I've never seen a celebrity of that stature get called out in such a vehement fashion. I'm really surprised none of the British tabloids have picked up on this yet.

Oh, and hello, I'm new here and just thought I'd jump right in :D

Comments

• Options
    FlohFloh Posts: 4,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise will never disavow Scientology. Why should he? He's a golden boy surrounded by yes people and won't hear of this latest attack. Scientolgy treats him and his well, so he's happy.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floh wrote: »
    Tom Cruise will never disavow Scientology. Why should he? He's a golden boy surrounded by yes people and won't hear of this latest attack. Scientolgy treats him and his well, so he's happy.
    Under Scientology rules, Tom's not allowed to read ant criticisms of the Church (it's the same rule for all members) but the movie studios are going to be paying attention to anything which could have an affect on his box office draw.
  • Options
    GoatyGoaty Posts: 7,776
    Forum Member
    New poster, eh?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goaty wrote: »
    New poster, eh?
    Not completely new since I've left comments about stories on here using my Facebook.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Daily Mail has picked up the Debbie Cook story.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101953/Top-Scientologist-tells-beaten-tortured-locked-45-days-ant-infested-desert-compound-trailer.html
    A senior Scientologist was locked up, beaten and tortured by the controversial religion's tyrannical leadership, a court has heard after an attempt by the Church to silence her spectacularly backfired.
    Debbie Cook, who was one of the organisation's most respected executives before she quit in 2007, testified that she was held for 45 days in a crowded, ant-infested trailer in the California desert.
    The 50-year-old claimed to have witnessed Scientology chairman David Miscavige, a friend of celebrity follower Tom Cruise, punch another senior executive in the face before wrestling him to the ground.
  • Options
    lexi22lexi22 Posts: 16,394
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tony Ortega better up his security. He's going to be doing a lot of looking over his shoulder after this.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Tony Ortega better up his security. He's going to be doing a lot of looking over his shoulder after this.

I was thinking the same.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    New poster, eh?

What the hell does his/her number of posts have tto do wiith anything?:mad:
    It's a really interesting post. I've read before about the reality of Scientology and how abusive & controlling it is. But I read that the upper echelons are treated like gods and that its unlikely someone like Cruise would be in contact with the day to day reality of what the religion does. But I love the open letter. There's not a chance Cruise will respond, but if it gets people talking it's achieved it's purpose.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CBee wrote: »
    What the hell does his/her number of posts have tto do wiith anything?:mad:
    It's a really interesting post. I've read before about the reality of Scientology and how abusive & controlling it is. But I read that the upper echelons are treated like gods and that its unlikely someone like Cruise would be in contact with the day to day reality of what the religion does. But I love the open letter. There's not a chance Cruise will respond, but if it gets people talking it's achieved it's purpose.

I agree, I reckon Tom Cruise has seen nothing of the dark side of Scientology All he sees is a group of people treating him like a god. I love the open letter, like a lot of people I loathe Scientology with a passion, i see it as a very sinister cult, rather then a religion. It seems unless you are a famous millionaire paying them by the bucket load, you get treated like sh*t.

The thing is I reckon they have so much on Cruise, things he never wants to get out, so even if he wants to get out he feels like he is trapped. Bleh I can't believe I'm defending him, :confused::confused:
  • Options
    gold2040gold2040 Posts: 3,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Floh wrote: »
    At one point (I don't have sources on me) Tom was close to leaving Scientology and considered it a load of bollocks, but they managed to cnnvince him to stay on

edit: here we are

http://atheism.about.com/b/2005/08/12/cruise-almost-left-scientology.htm
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He probably ended up joining this because they told him he'd be like a king or something.
    He's already A-List celebrity status so it would be unlikely to imagine him being treated the same as some gullible and vulnerable person who joins at the lower ranks.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Granada's World in Action prog in 1967 did a good job of showing up Hubbard and his money making scheme but it didn't seem to have much effect: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_w-YWwC1lI
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tom Cruise has basically destroyed his career by being a Scientologist and by making some crazy life choices (possibly due to him being a Scientologist), if losing massive contracts, endorsements and jobs hasn't made him see the light then an open letter won't do the job.

A few years ago Tom and other Scientologists would talk openly about it and I would say in the late 80s and the 90s being into Scientology was seen as a sign you had made it in a way. You weren't a celeb if you weren't part of a weird religion right? But now the situation is very different, I can't remember a time I last heard any celebs talk about Scientology and you get actors like Will Smith and Jada P-S who are apparently Scientologists but angrily refute the claims for fear of ridicule.
  • Options
    Sethos DoukasSethos Doukas Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    New poster, eh?

Goaty the resident Scientologist is here.:D
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
    Forum Member
    The stories Nicole could tell eh?
    At least she was smart enough to never really sign up.
    Cost her a hell of a lot of contact with her kids though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lexi22 wrote: »
    Blamhappy2 wrote: »
    I was thinking the same.

http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2011/08/a_scientology_i.php
    I think he knows to be on the lookout :D
    A few weeks ago, I was asked to call in to The Church of Lazlo show at 96.5 the Buzz in Kansas City. In 2003-2005 I lived in that city and was a regular on Lazlo's show, updating him on a newspaper I worked for there. Lazlo had me on his August 3 show because he wanted to know why I was writing so much about Scientology these days.
    He had me on the show again today to say that since that program, he's received a communication from Scientology, and the lunkheads over there accidentally included an internal memorandum which indicated that Scientology's Office of Special Affairs International -- its worldwide intelligence and covert operations wing -- is going to be "handling" yours truly.
  • Options
    wilehelmaswilehelmas Posts: 3,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a bl00dy weird as h4ll cult that one.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    You weren't a celeb if you weren't part of a weird religion right? But now the situation is very different.

It's still there, the scene has just moved on - the sinister racket du jour that idiot celebs are falling over themselves to endorse while the idiot follower on the street has their bank balance aggressively sucked dry by being strongarmed into buying worthless trinkets, tapwater and fabulously expensive 'retreats' and 'courses', is Kaballah. Madonna, I'm looking at you.
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    It's still there, the scene has just moved on - the sinister racket du jour that idiot celebs are falling over themselves to endorse while the idiot follower on the street has their bank balance aggressively sucked dry by being strongarmed into buying worthless trinkets, tapwater and fabulously expensive 'retreats' and 'courses', is Kaballah. Madonna, I'm looking at you.

The Kabbalah isn't new, it's been around in a formal style since the 11th century and it's "recent" growth in popularity could be said to have been kicked off by occultists from the late 19th century.
  • Options
    the_phoothe_phoo Posts: 2,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Asmo wrote: »
    mred2000 wrote: »
    The Kabbalah isn't new, it's been around in a formal style since the 11th century and it's "recent" growth in popularity could be said to have been kicked off by occultists from the late 19th century.

Yeah Kabllah was definitely the new Scientology back in the early 2000s but I think it's a bit old hat now isn't it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Scientologist really are a scary bunch. I had a nasty experience with some here in Birmingham a few years back.

If someone comes up to you in the street with a clip board and asks 'if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions', my advice would be to run, fast!!!
  • Options
    MehitabelMehitabel Posts: 936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_phoo wrote: »
    Yeah Kabllah was definitely the new Scientology back in the early 2000s but I think it's a bit old hat now isn't it?

Seems to have served Demi Moore rather well, hasn't it?
  • Options
    angelafisherangelafisher Posts: 4,150
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lil lexie wrote: »
    Scientologist really are a scary bunch. I had a nasty experience with some here in Birmingham a few years back.

If someone comes up to you in the street with a clip board and asks 'if you wouldn't mind answering a few questions', my advice would be to run, fast!!!

Are they still on New Street trying to test you for Dianetics or something like that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,138
    Forum Member
    Are they still on New Street trying to test you for Dianetics or something like that?

:eek: Do they do it to you too??!!!:eek:

I thought I was gonna be doing the Pepsi Max challenge, didn't think for one minute I'd be ambushed, wired up to some machine, interrogated on my private life and threatened if I didn't buy their literature.

Possibly one of the most surreal and scariest situations I've ever found myself in. My only regret is that I didn't report it to the police.
  • Options
    AsmoAsmo Posts: 15,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »

Yes, but the 'Kabbalah' outfit figureheaded by Madonna, Demi Moore and others only emerged over the last decade or so, powered by some very cynical (and a few recently convicted) leaders who practice a variant that the originators wouldn't recognise - though scientologists would. Somebody clearly envied their business model, and Tom Cruise marketing gimmick.
    It's all about using the celebs, flattering their egos, to keep the image up, while aggressively milking the gullible who come knocking.
    "Sweeney Investigates" did a pretty good documentary with hidden camera footage a few years ago, the hard sell tactics for allegedly miraculous water, trips to bizarro get togethers, and retreats, were shocking, even by scientology standards. It's easily found online.
    lil lexie wrote: »

I thought I was gonna be doing the Pepsi Max challenge, didn't think for one minute I'd be ambushed, wired up to some machine, interrogated on my private life and threatened if I didn't buy their literature.

Possibly one of the most surreal and scariest situations I've ever found myself in. My only regret is that I didn't report it to the police.

Might not get you too far even if you did - they like to have 'friends' in the right places -

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/article-23395958-why-did-top-policeman-agree-to-appear-in-a-film-for-the-scientologists.do