Showbiz SingingLegend DAME SHIRLEY BASSEY Sings For Us On Strictly-How Lucky Are We?

TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
Forum Member
✭✭
Showbiz Singing Legend DAME SHIRLEY BASSEY Sings For Us On Strictly-How Lucky Are We?

Dame Shirley Bassey singing for us on Strictly Come Dancing has to be the highlight of of this series?

What do you like or not about Shirley?

Comments

• TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently Dame Shirley has a big surprise for us on the 50th anniversary of 'Goldfinger'

"We have more Goldfinger to look forward to, Dame Shirley will perform the song on Strictly Come Dancing and highly likely at this year’s Royal Variety Performance too!"

https://shirleybassey.wordpress.com/category/bassey-blog/

Well done Strictly, you can't get a much bigger star singer than Dame Shirley on the show, a big thank you from all us Strictly fans.
  • mad_madge_morrimad_madge_morri Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my nurse training in Cardiff (her home town) in nineteen hundred and frozen to death. 'Our Shirley' as we called her, did a lot for the hospital. When ever she was in town she found time to visit, spent a lot of time with the patients, and always sent us nurses comps for her show when it was in or around the city. She did it all with no publicity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I did my nurse training in Cardiff (her home town) in nineteen hundred and frozen to death. 'Our Shirley' as we called her, did a lot for the hospital. When ever she was in town she found time to visit, spent a lot of time with the patients, and always sent us nurses comps for her show when it was in or around the city. She did it all with no publicity.

That's a wonderful story madge, it just goes to show what a genuine and caring person Dame Shirley is, thank you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any other Dame Shirley fans out there ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Only just over two hours to go until we get to witness the enchanting and powerful voice of the lovely Dame Shirley Bassey.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the warning.:)

She'll be f/forwarded.
  • David WrightDavid Wright Posts: 4,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dame Shirley is an institution. Can't get more "show-biz" than DSB.

I'm hoping for one final "Bond" song from her with DSB and Adele doing a duet.

Would be Fab-U-Lous. :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That would be fabulous they are both amazing singers.
  • lloys-strachanlloys-strachan Posts: 1,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't wait for this.

Always loved the Shirley Bassey show in the 70s. It was a special treat I was allowed to stay up for.

She the one person who's voice could fill the tower ballroom without a mic :)
  • Walter NeffWalter Neff Posts: 9,169
    Forum Member
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    Showbiz Singing Legend DAME SHIRLEY BASSEY Sings For Us On Strictly-How Lucky Are We?

Dame Shirley Bassey singing for us on Strictly Come Dancing has to be the highlight of of this series?

What do you like or not about Shirley?

I don't believe it Terry, for once I agree with you! :D

I have seen Dame Shirley many times, from the 1970's onwards, The Festival Hall, The Albert Hall, and countless other venues, including the 1964 Night of 100 Stars at the London Palladium, when she shared the stage with Judy Garland.

Being the same age, I remember her when she first came to London as a 16 year old from Tiger Bay.

An amazing lady, a true Star, and I am really looking forward to seeing her this evening. :)
  • yellowlabbieyellowlabbie Posts: 59,081
    Forum Member
    Apparently Dame Shirley has a big surprise for us on the 50th anniversary of 'Goldfinger'

"We have more Goldfinger to look forward to, Dame Shirley will perform the song on Strictly Come Dancing and highly likely at this year’s Royal Variety Performance too!"

https://shirleybassey.wordpress.com/category/bassey-blog/

Well done Strictly, you can't get a much bigger star singer than Dame Shirley on the show, a big thank you from all us Strictly fans.

Yes, Shirley's a true legend, a real superstar. I will actually watch the results show and I rarely watch it.
    Forum Member

Absobl**dylutely:D
  • CressidaCressida Posts: 3,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A long time ago, my very new at the time, mother-in-law was a big fan of Shirley Bassey and invited me to go with her to see her perform live at the Royal Albert Hall. I wasn‘t mightily interested but didn‘t want to offend her so went and what a revelation Dame Shirley was.

She held the audience in the palm of her hand and her performance was absolutely superb and her gowns even better! I can still see the roses raining down on her, mounds of them, throw by her audience. Disinterested I might have been going in but came out knowing someone truly iconic had performed that night.
  • Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She is an icon. When she performed at the Oscars a couple of years ago she absolutely smashed it. And considering most singers lose their voice as they get older, she still sounds fantastic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cressida wrote: »
    A long time ago, my very new at the time, mother-in-law was a big fan of Shirley Bassey and invited me to go with her to see her perform live at the Royal Albert Hall. I wasn‘t mightily interested but didn‘t want to offend her so went and what a revelation Dame Shirley was.

She held the audience in the palm of her hand and her performance was absolutely superb and her gowns even better! I can still see the roses raining down on her, mounds of them, throw by her audience. Disinterested I might have been going in but came out knowing someone truly iconic had performed that night.

What an amazing story, thank you so much for sharing this with us all.
  • mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm a big fan of DSB. Love her to bits. One of the true greats.

But I have to deride the cynicism of this appearance the day before the release of her new album. The Beeb won't let Michelle Roux Jnr advertise Albert Bartlet spuds in his own time, but they'll allow any singer/actor/ novelist to advertise their wares on their programmes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    She is an icon. When she performed at the Oscars a couple of years ago she absolutely smashed it. And considering most singers lose their voice as they get older, she still sounds fantastic.

I'm sure Dame Shirley will smash it tonight too, I just hope that I will be able to contain my excitement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As it has been said elsewhere,

"Bring on the Diva"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here we go, what a reception.
    Forum Member
    I'm sure Dame Shirley will smash it tonight too, I just hope that I will be able to contain my excitement.

She did indeed smash it Terry, still as good as ever.
  • treetreetreetree Posts: 1,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brilliant absolutely brilliant
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She did indeed smash it Terry, still as good as ever.

That really was amazing yellowlabbie, that really is a lesson how to sing live.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    treetree wrote: »
    brilliant absolutely brilliant

You are so right treetree
  • Pet MonkeyPet Monkey Posts: 11,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Credit where it's due. She has taken good care of her voice. Incredible. How old is she? Amazing ballsy performance

It's not my thing... but I am hugely impressed
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pet Monkey wrote: »
    Credit where it's due. She has taken good care of her voice. Incredible. How old is she? Amazing ballsy performance

It's not my thing... but I am hugely impressed

Me too Pet Monkey me too.